The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Three Way Big Trade

Honestly, this was a thought I had and was curious what people thought. The likelihood of three players with NMC accepting a trade is unlikely but it gives a shakeup to all three teams with equal talent being moved.

To Tampa Bay: Roberto Luongo, Keith Ballard

To San Jose: Vincent LeCavalier

To Vancouver: Joe Thornton

All three core players in this deal are around the same age (Vinny 31, Joe 32, Lou 33). They all have longer term big deals. So all those complaints of no one wanting this or that contract do not apply.

Why for Vancouver: Obviously with Lou and Schneider, one has to go. Rather than trading for youth, the Canucks get everything they need in Thornton. He's a huge body, he's a playmaker for the second line, he's a veteran with character. I understand that his playoff record is not good but he will be hungry for a cup towards the end of his career. The Canucks get a star in return for a star. Possibly just as important, the Canucks get a contract that ends after two more years which gives much more future flexibility. Although Kesler is a center, he could fit on the wing with Thornton and Booth on the line to give two very scary lines.

Why for Tampa Bay: Tampa has two great needs. Goaltending and defense. With this deal they get both of those. They can afford to lose a center because of Stamkos and Connolly. They get rid of LeCavalier's terrible contract. With Lou in net and another defenseman (who should be top four when working for a coach who likes him and getting regular playing time with a regular partner), the Bolts fill their needs and are still stacked up front.

Why for San Jose: The Sharks clearly need to change something in their system but also do not want to rebuild. This is similar to the Heatley for Havlat trade last year where they wanted to shake things up but get a veteran and try to compete again. LeCavalier has more playoff experience and success but is on a longer contract (similar value).

After seing your proposal, I think i realize now how three way deal work now..i can even make it a 4 way deal and improve your proposal.

To Pittsburg: Joe Thornton

To Vancouver: Malkin

Do i get it right?

After seing your proposal, I think i realize now how three way deal work now..i can even make it a 4 way deal and improve your proposal.

To Pittsburg: Joe Thornton

To Vancouver: Malkin

Do i get it right?

what about taking out the third party:

ballard,lu for lecavalier a much more interesting question as both lu and lecavalier have longterm contracts and could both possibly be shopped in the summer.

lecavalier has a pretty horrid contract and a NMC so it would be unlikely he would want to leave the fun in the sun that is tampa, but as a player he would add an intriguing dynamic to the canucks.

Archived