The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So Out Of The 2 We Pick Cory. Possible Destinations For Lou?

mshtws

mshtws, I don't understand how you assume that AV's decision to start Schneider in tonights game means that Luongo will be heading out next year. Maybe it's too early in the day and I'm just not getting the reasoning but please, enlighten me.

i think this approach jumps the gun a bit.

remember when halak took over in montreal as starter during their run to the conference finals a couple years ago?

as we all know,

he was traded.

its really just a wait and see scenario. for now, lets all hope for the best tonight, and with any luck, moving forward in the series, with whoever is in goal.

That is AV's decision. Therefore, AV is 95% gone after the season. Gillis will decide who stays.

I know Schneider is the obvious choice, but if Schneider can get us a superstar (example Nash) and Luongo can only get us a 2-3rd line player (example Ryan Clowe)...(those guys are not proposal just examples)

Are we better off with

Nash-Luongo

or

Schneider-Clowe

Both goalies have played well enough for us to win games, if the rest of the team had managed to do their jobs. I'd be comfortable with either in tonight, but Schneider let in just one goal (first and second assists go to Edler) so he should be the one tonight.

And we can't just trade Luongo unless he agrees... but, this may put the feeling in Luongo's head that the team seems to be becoming "Schneider's team" more than his, and he may in fact say to MG, if you can make a deal to (insert list of teams he'd agree to) then I'd agree to the move. If the team loses tonight, I think this is less likely, but if they win with Schneider, each win he gets will make it a more likely scenario...

Guest Dasein

AV's decision.

I remember seeing somewhere that MG doesn't make inputs into AV's coaching.

AV has two goalies and he chose one that he thinks will win us THIS game.

But certainly, it is a statement when Luongo doesn't start an elimination game...Only time will tell.

Is no one considering that we could sign Cory to 3million or less and keep both next year?

Do we really believe that ego and insult are that big a driving force to both these guys?

8.5m cap hit or less combined for the back to back President's Trophy winning duo sounds great to me!! Dunno about you guys though...maybe you want a good goalie with a nobody backup..i want a good goalie night in and night out. These two guys give us that, mystique, of a true tandem in net and possibly for years to come at 8.5 or less. I would do that.

I think it's quite different though, as Schneider is more of a known entity and has been pegged as a starter for quite a awhile, whereas Halak pretty much came out of nowhere, which seems to happen quite frequently, and they splutter afterwards. The other difference is Luongo was playing fine, none of the losses can be blamed on Lu or Schneider, whereas Halak was put in when Price was faltering. They had confidence Price would get it back in the next season.

Is no one considering that we could sign Cory to 3million or less and keep both next year?

Do we really believe that ego and insult are that big a driving force to both these guys?

8.5m cap hit or less combined for the back to back President's Trophy winning duo sounds great to me!! Dunno about you guys though...maybe you want a good goalie with a nobody backup..i want a good goalie night in and night out. These two guys give us that, mystique, of a true tandem in net and possibly for years to come at 8.5 or less. I would do that.

How many more games than 41 per season do you think either of them really needs to start to satisfy the 'dream'?

Philly is being very successful right now with Bobrovsky and Bryzgalov at a combined hit of 7.4 million

The Rangers are looking good with a combined 7.75 million, albeit most of that is Lundquist

Carolina is at 7.2 million

Buffalo pays 7 million a year

and five other teams are over 6million a year cap hit in net.

So, Why not qualify Schneider generously and wait and see what offer sheets come in? Unless of course there is an amazing offer for either guy what really adds OOOMPH to the team, why not stay the course, build from the net out, and enjoy the best tandem in the league for at least 2 or 3 more years, when there is an out clause in the contract.

The problem is his 5.3 cap hit is taking away spending on other area's of the team i.e. defense and tough fowards. If he goes to TB I don't want big salary like a Vinny coming back. Get Connolly and some pics......see if we can dump Ballards Salary on the them and take back Hedman or just the extra cap space to throw a massive offer sheet at Weber or try and sign Suter and a forward.

Archived