The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So Out Of The 2 We Pick Cory. Possible Destinations For Lou?

mshtws

i m not sure how AV handled Lu and whether this hurt Luongo's confidence and whether he is going to request a trade in the summer. I wonder how Luongo is handling it and whether it will cause distraction in the room. Hopefully Luongo is positive about it.

Is no one considering that we could sign Cory to 3million or less and keep both next year?

Do we really believe that ego and insult are that big a driving force to both these guys?

8.5m cap hit or less combined for the back to back President's Trophy winning duo sounds great to me!! Dunno about you guys though...maybe you want a good goalie with a nobody backup..i want a good goalie night in and night out. These two guys give us that, mystique, of a true tandem in net and possibly for years to come at 8.5 or less. I would do that.

You assumption is inaccurate. What they are doing is "saving" Lu from the fans. If Cory wins, we continue on. But if he loses, which is possible cause of his age and nervousness, we wont be as hard on Cory asking to trade him or whatever garbage CDC comes up with. Schneids will most likely still be traded in the off season and Luongo, with his still large remaining contract will stay, and he's played well this year, regular season AND playoffs. So i have absolutely no reservations about keeping him. He could be the next Brodeur!

How can people say this means nothing?? Lou is a person, at the very least if I was in his shoes I'd be chapped that I played decently in games 1 and 2 AND THEN ride the pine for the next two?

If we get swept out or win out he isn't getting another chance. Think of how that makes him feel!

That isn't even reflecting on the organizations decision, but it does show that in the biggest game of the year they are going with Cory.

You guys have it all wrong.

Mark my words..Luongo has been heard saying..he was contemplating retirement after these playoffs .

So not only this decision by AV will make his decision easier. Vancouver will get nothing back for him and will have to sign Schneider a new contract which will entail a minimum of 3 million salary cap a season.

Back to square one...Will have to find a capable backup at least a couple of millions a year cause with the cramping problem he incurs almost evry game he wont be able to goal more than 50 games a year.

Thinking that Luongo is automatically gone just based on today's decision is short-sighted. There are a lot of other factors involved:

• did (or will) Luongo ask to be traded (I personally do not see how he would imagine living here until the end of his contract, so far away from his family - don't forget he has Italian blood in his veins, family life is very important to him)

• does Cory want to stay (I have no idea, he has been very guarded so far in his interviews - this is a really important piece of the puzzle)

• who would give us a better team based on what we get in the trade

On the flip side, the claim that this decision means absolutely nothing is childish. If you really believe that, than you must be living in a fool's paradise.

Let's hope for a win tonight and in the series (I know we only have a very slim chance), and then for a "win-win-win" in the summer.

tampa is the best place for him because his family is from there especially his wife. and plus roloson is gone. luongo can make tampa work for the playoffs. oh man i wish we faced tampa instead of bruins. so close.

but either way nobody knows what management and luongo is really gonna do considering the decision has been made which is huge effecting both of their lives.

I agree that Schneider starting tonight does not necessarily mean anything except Schneider has played better than Luongo in this series by the numbers (Luongo: 3.59 GAA .891 SV%, Schneider 1.03 GAA, .950 SV%).

BUT, for the sake of argument, I think there are two teams that could help each other by trading Luongo if management decided Schneider was the better keep, especially if we want to make a push for Weber, need to dump some salary.

1. Toronto -- just like Philly last year, an important mentality is work your way from the goalie out, and get a well-proven goalie that is locked up for year. To Vancouver:  Joffrey Lupul, Jake Gardiner, second round pick. Think about Lupul up with the Sedins, and getting a young future star defenseman could be perfect. Problem: Toronto is an even bigger pressure-filled market than Vancouver.

2. Tampa Bay -- Their need for a goalie is obvious, Luongo loves Florida (wife, family, etc.) and would get him into a smaller, less pressure-filled market.  To Vancouver: Vincent Lecavalier.  Would be an incredibly high risk play for Vancouver for another overpaid player, but if he has a few more good years in him, he could be a valuable asset to move to the wing and play with the Sedins.

Archived