The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bachelor, Bachelorette Sued Over Racism Allegations

DonLever

Dating TV shows, the Bachelor and the Bachelorette, are being sued for racial bias. Two black men are taking the shows to court with a lawsuit that claims the reality shows are blocking contenders of colour from starring roles. They say in 10 years, neither show has featured a single person of colour in a central role.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/bachelor-bachelorette-facing-lawsuit-over-racism-allegations/article2406623/

Is is really racism or color blind market forces? The U.S. is still largely uneasy about the idea of black/white couples and a show involving only black couples would have a limited appeal outside of a black audience. My guess is the execs decided to play it safe, since that's what I would do.

Is is really racism or color blind market forces? The U.S. is still largely uneasy about the idea of black/white couples and a show involving only black couples would have a limited appeal outside of a black audience. My guess is the execs decided to play it safe, since that's what I would do.

Is it? It's an independent TV show, they can have whatever contestants they want for all I care. They've also never had old people or gay people, they must also be ageist and homophobic. They also only choose attractive people, should I sue if I'm ugly?

I think we're all missing the bigger picture here, which is that those shows are awful and no one should strive to be on them, or watch them, in the first place.

agree with the last part but I was responding to Electro's statement that the reason they haven't had a black contestant on the Bachelor is becauase some members of the public are uncomfortable with an interracial couple. So basically he is saying because of someone elses possible racist attitude any black person will be denied the chance to be part of this game show due to the colour of his or her skin, that's racism. Would be ok to fire a black person cause some customers complained they were uncomfortable around him or her cause of that persons skin colour? Hopefully we can all agree this won't be ok, but how is Electro's "market forces" argument any different?end rant.

agree with the last part but I was responding to Electro's statement that the reason they haven't had a black contestant on the Bachelor is becauase some members of the public are uncomfortable with an interracial couple. [b/] So basically he is saying because of someone elses possible racist attitude any black person will be denied the chance to be part of this game show due to the colour of his or her skin, that's racism. Would be ok to fire a black person cause some customers complained they were uncomfortable around him or her cause of that persons skin colour? Hopefully we can all agree this won't be ok, but how is Electro's "market forces" argument any different?end rant.

Is it? It's an independent TV show, they can have whatever contestants they want for all I care. They've also never had old people or gay people, they must also be ageist and homophobic. They also only choose attractive people, should I sue if I'm ugly?

I think we're all missing the bigger picture here, which is that those shows are awful and no one should strive to be on them, or watch them, in the first place.

Archived