The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Tradable Luongo

Carson Graham

What team is a good fit for Lou though? I think it would have to be a perfect situation for him. Meaning:

Out of the media spotlight. Aka, small market team, not in canada.

Not to a young, rebuilding team: Those teams want a younger option, a team that wants to make a last run at the cup is a good fit.

A team in the East: I think he'll want a new start in the new conference.

Teams that fit this description: Florida? Tampa? Carolina? Maybe Dallas or Philly could be exceptions to some of the above. I just can't figure out a team that would take his contract right now.

Ya I see Tampa as a great fit too. You actually think we can get Malone or Vinny though? THat seems unlikely to me because A: We can't afford that contract either, and B: that seems like too much to give us for Lou. At this point I'd take anything for Lou so we can sign Cory as our future goalie.

My heart says Luongo but it is clear in my head that Schneider is the better pure business move.

Luongo raised this franchise from being Toronto-like to the elite team that it is today.

People who want Schneider instead of Luongo are obviously fans who started watching the Canucks AFTER they became good and an elite team - which happens to be precisely because we got Luongo. In 2007, Luongo was the team. Literally.

After Luongo puts us on the path that we are on today, we're going to get rid of him?

Business is business, yes, but seeing this happen would really hurt - especially after all the trust we gave him with the contract and all that he's done for us...Now that there is a new toy who might be better and is younger we trade him?

That's what scares me - hockey is a business, and it makes sense as a business to keep the younger Cory Schneider especially when his stats are so good. But Luongo is in the hearts of those who have followed this team for longer than just for the last 5-6 years that we've been a good team - for the 5-6 years that Luongo happened to be on our team.

If we trade Luongo, I'd understand, but I would be very upset. Business is business, but sometimes it just hurts. And I happen to be one of those people who believe Luongo still has a good few years left in him and will be able to compete against the best of them, so it would hurt even more.

If Luongo does get traded, I hope he wins a Stanley Cup elsewhere. I really do. The guy's a champ and he deserves one. I just hope we keep him and he can hoist it here.

EDIT: and one more thing - the Canucks organization preaches a "family" approach with its players. It'll be very hard to sell that pitch after moving one of the franchise pieces who grew up with the team and put the team where it is now for a new piece which may or may not be better.

How will Gillis sell that pitch of "we treat you like a family" to the UFAs when they see how we treat Luongo after Schneider came up? Especially when there is not even that much of a difference between the two players?

I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

Also, people who say Luongo was out best player in the first two games are out of their minds. It doesn't matter what your team plays like, if you're an elite goalie, you can't have a sub-.900 save percentage in the playoffs. It's that simple.

Archived