The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider Vs Luongo Clarification

burrows#1

I just want those who think there is a lot of Luongo hate going around to understand that this isn't hate towards Luongo but rather an excessive amount of love being sent Schneider's way.

Cory will be god in this city until he proves otherwise, and unfortunately this comes at Luongo's expense - but hey, its a business, we need to win games, and right now Schneider is our man!!!

Exciting things ahead I'm sure!!

GO CANUCKS!!

Scott Clemmensen said it best: "In the playoffs, there will be ups and downs. Goalies will get changed and thrown in and thrown out. It's just part of the process … no team is going to win 16 in a row and walk through the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and hoist it in the end."

I think the future of our goalies are still under the microscope by MG. If Schneids somehow does the unthinkable and carries us out of the first round then I do not see a way in hell you trade him away. If he comes up short I think he has still made a solid campaign for himself. No matter what happens, it will be an interesting off season.

I was reading an article in the paper this morning about the definite possibility of Luongo being traded. For the first time, I actually started to feel a bit sentimental about the whole thing. Luongo has been such a focal point for criticism in recent years due to some big time meltdowns in the playoffs that it's easy to forget just how important he was to this team before they became elite. I started to remember the early years when he was here, when he was the undisputed MVP of the team. He was a big part of the beginning of the Canucks' rise to elite status and I don't think anyone should forget that, whatever happens with the goalie situation this summer.

After tonight's game, it's clear Schneider is the guy to go with in net and the proverbial torch may have now been passed to him, but I maintain Luongo is the best goalie this organization has ever had and he deserves a ton more respect.

Cory is getting the admiration Luongo got in 07. He can do no wrong.

With that being said, he's earned it. However, Luongo definitely doesn't deserve all of the criticism he gets thrown his way.

Both goalies have been fabulous thus far, either one gives us a great chance to win.

No need to separate into Team Luongo and Team Schneider. As it stands, we can only keep one going into next year and we have absolutely NO clue what management is going to do. We have two star goaltenders. Cory Schneider can play with the best of them and currently has a GAA of 1 in this years playoffs. Luongo may have lower stats for his two games, yet everyone must admit that Luongo was the only reason those games weren't a blowout. Both our goaltenders would be welcome additions to nearly any team and a lot of them will be willing to pay through the teeth for Schneider coming this summer. I personally hope we keep Schneider as it has been a LONG time since the Canucks have had a solid and CONSISTENT goaltender.

Schneider lets in between 0-3 goals a game. The Canucks have faith that if they can score at least 4 goals a game, they should be unstoppable. If they only score 1-3 goals a game, they still have a fighting chance.

Luongo lets in between 0-5 goals a game. The difference here is that if Luongo is on a hot streak, he's only letting in 0-2 goals a game which at first seems better than Schneider. On the other hand, Luongo can go a few games in a row where he lets in 3-5 goals a game. The team never knows when this is going to happen and they have less confidence in Luongo.

Unfortunately for us, Luongo's in consistency bit us in the @ss last year in the playoffs as he ended his hot streak just as we got into the final week of the stanley cup finals.

Schneider has not yet been proven in a full season, yet if Schneider plays even close to what he has shown us so far, he will be a Vezina candidate for many years to come.

Luongo Pro's - Experienced, Proven, Talented.

Schneider's Pro's - Technically Sound, Consistent, Young.

Luongo Con's - Inconsistent, Expensive Contract, Cracks under pressure.

Schneider's Con's - Inexperienced. (This is a big question mark).

We have two Vezina capable goaltenders. No need to hate one/ love one. Love them both, be glad we have them both.

Archived