The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons Why Luongo Isn't Done In Vancouver? (Besides His Contract)

ngunn91

If Schneider could string a few more wins together here his value is going to skyrocket compared to Luongo. He doesn't come with the big anchor in the contract like Luongo, is younger, and arguably already the superior goaltender. The Canucks might decide that the return they'd get from dealing Schneider would be much more significant and the actual quality in goaltending they would still have by keeping Luongo would still be pretty high. So in the end they might decide that it would be better for the Canucks overall to keep Luongo and get the much bigger return for Schneider than it would be to keep Schneider and get probably a smaller return for dealing Luongo.

And for everyone flaming the TC I think it's pretty clear he framed his topic as a question so I'm not sure why he's getting flack.

i don't think it would take much convincing on behalf of MG or the organization to get Lu to waive his NTC. in fact, I bet he'd waive it willingly if the team straight up said that they were going with Cory as the #1. Lu's a pro and will not want to be playing 2nd fiddle to Cory, he'd be happy to waive the NTC and continue to be a starter for someone somewhere else.

I cant wait for him to get traded so all this Bulls**t can stop...

look what the media has done to you people... controversy? get real.

I looove our goal tending situation, but the immedient back stabbing towards out franchise goalie is sickening. this "team schneider/team Luongo" vision is crap.

shame on you, you know who you are.

Team Canucks for life.

This isn't a reason why Luongo would stay a Canuck, but more of a reason if Luongo were to ask for a trade, the team that is getting him wouldn't mind rolling the dice? This hasn't been mentioned here before but Luongo's no trade clause expires 4 seasons from now (year 6 of his deal), so that might make it a bit more enticing for another team to get him, the fact that he CAN be jettisoned and not necesarily tied for the duration of his 12 year pact

- NTC

- Term ---> no one wants someone with another 10 years on their contract especially as the new CBA will be renegotiated soon and no one knows what the cap situation will look like after. That basically means that teams aren't going to want to be stuck with long term contracts.

- Impossible to evaluate his value and what we could get in return. Some have said that might have to just dump the contract and get very little in return or pick up another equally as bad contract

Canucks clearly trust Schneider in bigger more important games then Luongo I think that says something. It's a business. I know he has a no trade but if you don't feel comfortable in a organization or the fan don't want you why would you want to stay?

Archived