The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Got 3:52 In Ice Time, I Think He Would Better Served Playing With The Wolves

billabong

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

im not trying to be nitpicky about a "canucks win" but i dont think 3:52 in ice time is really helping kassian in such a tight series.....im not against getting a young players feet wet but kassian has gotten a feel so now you can send him to the wolves and he can 17 minutes

he cant keep up and there absolutely nothing wrong with that

sedin-sedin-booth

burrows-kesler-lapierre

higgins-pahlsson-hansen

ebbett-malhotra-bitz

either ebbett or lapierre can be placed on the wing with burrows and kesler

I think he should be with the Wolves as well, but that would mean admitting the trade was a mistake and I do not seeing management doing that. Although they did start Cory...

(I think the trade would have been fine in the off season)

Edit: Turns out it does not matter. So how about we talk about bacon?

You still need to have a full roster. In a tight series like this, someone is going to get limited ice time.

Despite the limited ice time, I am sure he is learning from the experience. Besides, the AHL has a rule where only guys on your roster by a particular date can play for you for the rest of the season. Kassian was not one of those guys.

I'm not sure being benched will be better for his confidence but I'm not also not sure whether sitting in the press box would be any better. If he can't play with the Wolves then those really are the only two options.

I think the fourth line would benefit from having Lapierre back. Lapierre's been surprisingly effective at the wing in the top 6 (when he's not yapping too much). For a stretch this year it looked like the Canucks had a solid fourth line that could play a decent amount of minutes. If they're going to both come back and then go on a long run, they need the fourth line to be able to play more than 4 minutes a game (although right now with the huge breaks between games I guess it's not that big of an issue).

One problem with AV's system is that he puts out the 4th line in for defensive zone draws only.

The benefit would be that one of other lines gets a defensive zone shift rest.

The cost would be that our 4th line is usually hemmed in their own zone for an entire shift. That continues and eventually they'll ride the pine for entire periods. Meaning the original benefit of giving another line some rest is lost.

So why doesn't AV simply put out the 4th line out for OFFENSIVE zone draws now and then instead? That way they could establish a forecheck in the correct zone rather than be caught running around in their own zone. And then Kassian wouldn't be totally useless.

Manny is good on draws, thank God. But when he loses a draw, that line is exposed.

I don't think there's another team in the NHL that puts out it's 4th line for defensive zone draws only. Cheers.

TOML

...AV - this guy is a tank and can wear down opponents yet he gives him 3 mins of ice time....young players only get better with ice time, and AV just doesn't let them play....ask Boston for example..had Seguin and played him even though he was a rookie and look at where it has got him.

...start playing Kassian AV - we paid a big price and got him for a reason.

I thought we got this guy for his toughness and grit in the playoffs? "No one's going to push us around anymore!". He looks about as interested in fighting or laying hits as one of the Sedins. This trade was a colossal blunder.

If they can ever get a bit of a cushion then I am sure AV would love to roll 4 lines, but being behind or in tight games thats what happens to 4th line. the way the kings 4th line was playing last night he probably didnt want that match up either.

Would like to see more from him when is on the ice, Looks nervous, just skate hard and hit hard (clean hits of course)

Its too early to tell if its a blunder last year at this time in the playoffs Hodgson was just as useful. Its kinda scary that Kassian is 6'4 and 230 at 21 who knows how big he'll get but looks like he has the man child syndrome. I say give him a few shifts in Raymonds spot and try to get him going.

He had seven shifts, averaging 30 seconds each and got in two hits and a takeaway. He was completely responsible, was not on the ice for any goals against and he did what a young fourth liner has to do when your down 3 games in a best of seven series. While perhaps more icetime could be argued, I think last night worked for us the way it went.

Both his hits were targeting Martinez, and they had a great shift at around the 7 and a half minute mark of the 2nd period where Lappy had that great puck control for around 10 seconds behind the net...the fourth line had the puck for around 30 seconds in the offensive zone and we got two scoring chances out of it. The very next shift he registered a takeaway in our defensive zone. All in all, I would say he is doing what is asked of him, being responsible and for some reason targeting specific players for his physical energy. Greene in game one...sure he got a charging penalty, but then hit Greene again later. In game two he was on the ice for Pahlson's goal and had two hits...mitchell and martinez. Game three, with pressure mounting his minutes were cut down, but this has more to do with the team shortening the bench in favor of the top lines, and nothing to do with Zack Kassian, who, I assure you is much much smarter, in a hockey sense, than most people give him credit for.

Notice his specific targeting of not just the LA Defencemen, but of their 5th and 6th dmen specifically, Greene and Martinez. kassian had his ice time lowered in game 4 again, and Martinez went from one shot all series to 5 shots last night. Still, Zack managed to lay the body on him twice in the limited time he saw on the ice, and this is not a fluke. Martinez is considered a weak player, for a guy of his size, he is not overly physical and he was hurt earlier this year and lost ten games to an upper body injury for the first time in his pro career. Kassian is keeping it legal, but certainly owning Martinez on the ice. Softening him up and more importantly constantly working to get into Martinez headspace. Just my opinion, after looking at Zack's body of work so far in the playoffs.

SO, if we ever have a two goal lead, i would think his minutes will go up, and I am slightly surprised he didn't see more third period time late in the game last night. AV was taking no chances and wanted that 4th goal, no doubt from him top lines.

One problem with AV's system is that he puts out the 4th line in for defensive zone draws only.

The benefit would be that one of other lines gets a defensive zone shift rest.

The cost would be that our 4th line is usually hemmed in their own zone for an entire shift. That continues and eventually they'll ride the pine for entire periods. Meaning the original benefit of giving another line some rest is lost.

So why doesn't AV simply put out the 4th line out for OFFENSIVE zone draws now and then instead? That way they could establish a forecheck in the correct zone rather than be caught running around in their own zone. And then Kassian wouldn't be totally useless.

Manny is good on draws, thank God. But when he loses a draw, that line is exposed.

I don't think there's another team in the NHL that puts out it's 4th line for defensive zone draws only. Cheers.

TOML

Because AV can not and will never learn to think on the fly. he has a flowchart of "If 'A' then go to step 2, if 'B' then go to step 3" et cetera...AV's planning is like a battleship, slow to turn around, but if his rutt is free and clear, he can build up speed, look out, cuz he is armed to the gunnels.

Archived