The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where Did Luongo's Support Go?

jono2009

Look, I am a die hard like most of you other fans, but I am just wondering, where did the love and support go for Roberto Luongo? We were thrilled when he got traded here. Many even referenced him as a god. He has played outstanding. He has set franchise records. He has won a gold medal for Team Canada. He came within 1 win of the Stanley Cup. Sure he has had some awful games, it happens. And I understand the consistency that you get with Schneider. But as per reports, fans, and analysts, are we really willing to toy with the thought that he won't be back in net? That he won't be wearing a Canucks uniform next year?

I for one hope that doesn't happen. I will always be "LOUUUUUUUUU"ing for Roberto.

I will always support Luongo, who is one of my favourite goalies all-time.

I just think in the Canucks organization, the best move long-term would be to stick with Cory Schneider. Whoever is starter next season though, I've got their back. Wherever the other one goes, I will cheer for them (except when they play us, of course).

It's a beautiful thing to have 2 of the game's best goalies on our team, I've enjoyed it so much after the Cloutier years.

The Luo fan club are a sensitive bunch, CS is named the #1 goaltender and all of a sudden Luo is not getting enough praise lol. Luongo 'support' has never left, were just more confident with CS and the coaching staff agrees.

The best move for this franchise going forward is going with CS, the younger, hungrier and better goaltender who they can re-sign for less than the lifetime contract Roberto has.

The stats speak for themselves. Luongo is still a very solid goalie, but his best days are behind him. It's too bad we didn't have that 06-07 Luongo with the team we have right now, but what can you do. He is not as flexible as he used to be and he doesn't have that unflappable confidence that he used to have. This city has torn him apart and we have just been through too much with Luongo. Even if he plays solid, if he lets in one bad goal in a crucial game they will call for him to be traded. Some of it is on Luongo. He melted down at the worst times, but then sometimes posted a shutout the next game. His inconsistency is just too much for this team to handle. It was one thing when our team sucked and he had to steal games, but he Luongo has also shown at times that he loses focus when the team is playing well. Rarely did you see the team and Luongo both play outstanding at the same time.

He is still a very good goalie in this league, but Schneider is just younger, more flexible and better than this older Luongo. Schneider also has a calmness about him that Luongo does not have. Luongo will always try his very hardest and never give up, but his time in vancouver is over.

Even when you take out the bad games from this season, Schneider's better was arguably better than Luongo's.

The Luo fan club are a sensitive bunch, CS is named the #1 goaltender and all of a sudden Luo is not getting enough praise lol. Luongo 'support' has never left, were just more confident with CS and the coaching staff agrees.

The best move for this franchise going forward is going with CS, the younger, hungrier and better goaltender who they can re-sign for less than the lifetime contract Roberto has.

Simple, when it comes to the playoffs. Ride the hot goalie. Yes the Canucks didn't play emphatically well in front of Luo but if they do in front of Schneids and he provides solid goaltending, in an elimination setting I'd rather go with Schneids than Luo from what the team has shown

I find the idea of choosing one over the other to be very stressful and causes me great headaches. I am just soooo glad I'm not Mike Gillis because this isn't a decsion I'd be able to make lol. But if I was, I think I might close my eyes, grit my teeth, try to trade Luongo and hope it was the right choice. Bottom line, I ask myself, "Who do I feel safer having in net?" and the answer is always Schneids... We almost always win with him in net and when we don't it's a very close game and we usually only lost by one goal.

I score Luo as 10/10 as a goalie with a 10% chance of a meltdown on any given night.

And i score Schneids as 9/10 as a goalie with no meltdowns.

Luongo's ability to be the best goalie in the league more often than not cancels out his meltdowns, but the tiebreaker is Cory's age and price.

Luongo has done GREAT things for this organization in his time here and should be remembered fondly for that. Unfortunately MOST of the great things he has done have come during the regular season and NOT during the playoffs. Last years cup run arguably showed just how fragile he can be under pressure, and although he did show moments of brilliance, (1-0 win game 5) he was constantly out played by not only Tim Thomas but Pekka Rinne as well.

It's been pretty obvious from the get go this year that a change was in the wind, especially given the amount of starts Scheneider got this year, and cities that some of those starts were in. Boston and Chicago were a couple of biggies that he (Schneider) handled and won very well. Also VERY obvious that the team plays MUCH differently (and MUCH better) in front of Schneider than Luongo. Canucks management was correct in starting Luongo as the playoffs began. He let in 6 goals and we were down 0-2, and YES I will give you that he was arguably the best player on the ice in those two games. Canucks management was also correct in starting Schneider in game 3 and game 4. He let in two goals in those two games and was outstanding in every aspect. This series could easily be tied at 2-2 if it wasn't for the missed defensive coverage on the Dustin Brown goal in game 3. Schneider's stop on the Dustin Brown penalty shot was stellar and if by some miracle we go on to win this series, will mot likely be remembered as the defining moment of this series and the Canucks season. One can argue until the cows come home whether Luongo would have stopped the same shot, but history has shown us that he (Luongo) usually reacts to the first move or deke and is long since laying on his stomach by the time the puck goes in the net. Schneider did NOT react to Dustin Brown's deke and as a result made the save look quite easy with the resulting boost to the team and the subsequent victory that followed,

While this may have been Luongo's team at the start of the playoffs, it is now Cory Schenider's team until management or his actions, decide otherwise. If that means the end of Roberto Luongo's time in Vancouver then so be it as this is first and foremost a business and the "business" is to win a Stanley Cup. As popular as Luongo has been over the years, one must always remember this is MUCH MORE than a popularity contest.

:)

I love Luongo too...people will eventually realize that Schneider is human too and they'll remove their rose coloured glasses. I would love to see how Schneider plays in a full season with all of the media attention and some fickle fans who will buy his airline ticket if he has a bad game. Both goalies are outstanding but I just love Luongo because of everything he's done here.

As much as I love Lu... he's too high strung. It's his make-up.. he's an Italian full of passion. I know.. he's like many in my own familia. His emotions get away from him too easily. And, unfortunately.. his teammates play with a bit of apprehension in front of him.. they've lost confidence in him. He's still a great goalie, and I wish to hell he could toughen up mentally.. and physically.. to regain his form. He hasn't been the same since cutting his hair and becoming a daddy. Not saying that's what softened him up.. but he sure doesn't have the same fight in him as he did in that 4th OT game vs Dallas a few years back.

And given the dumping he's endured by all the "fans".. one can only imagine how that would effect him mentally as well. I think Lu would deserve a "mercy move" out of this hell hole.. I'd hate to see him leave, but it's worse to see him disrespected by the "fans".

I have followed Luo since Juniors and he hands down my fav player in Van, however sadly his time here is over, just like Modano's time in big D came to an end and several other super stars on ther teams time came to an end, probably the most famous is Gretz traded from the oilers, this is the life of the pros! Some times there are explainations some times there aren't, in Luos case I don't really think that there is an explanation for why the team has almost overnight stopped playing in front of him, there is tons of speculation and rumor, but I think it is just some thing as simple as it is just time, Luo has been a very valuable member of the team and the community, like Linden he will be missed, It is just time!!

No matter where he goes I know he will do great and give his new team a chance like he did here in Van.

Good Luck Luo!!!!!

I find the idea of choosing one over the other to be very stressful and causes me great headaches. I am just soooo glad I'm not Mike Gillis because this isn't a decsion I'd be able to make lol. But if I was, I think I might close my eyes, grit my teeth, try to trade Luongo and hope it was the right choice. Bottom line, I ask myself, "Who do I feel safer having in net?" and the answer is always Schneids... We almost always win with him in net

and when we don't it's a very close game and we usually only lost by one

goal.

I score Luo as 10/10 as a goalie with a 10% chance of a meltdown on any

given night.

And i score Schneids as 9/10 as a goalie with no meltdowns.

Luongo's ability to be the best goalie in the league more often than not cancels out his meltdowns, but the tiebreaker is Cory's age and price.

Archived