The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Proposal: Van -Tb

I really hope we can move Luongo (I think he's an excellent goalie but I think Schneider and more importantly his low-key, unfazed personality is what is needed to play goalie in Vancouver) .

TB needs a goalie bad and the first thing we have to realize is that they are NOT giving up their 20 year old Hedman for anybody on the Canucks. Next, we know salary has to come back the other way. St. Louis and I don't think we would be willing to take Eric Brewer, or Ohlund's contrac and definately not Lecavier's. Thus Ryan Malone would be the best option as he has a 4.5 million contract, had a poor year, is around the same age as Luongo. Although he may be aging, his experience, size and ability to drop the gloves if absolutely necessary might give a few good years here.

To VAn: Malone, TB 10th pick (Van might be in a position to draft one of the 5 standout Dmen from the WHL)

To TB: Luongo,

Its a good thought. I wasn't a fan of Malone trades before this but it was based off of contract situation.

If Luongo is the one being moved it makes it easier to swallow his cap hit.

I also think this gives us another top 6 guy who is hard to handle (may compliment Booth and Kesler in regards of puck possession).

You then get a 3rd line of Hansen Pahlsson (assuming he resigns) and Higgins which is a very solid 3rd line.

Malone also gives us less reason to rush Kassian into a top 6 role. Could give him a bit more time in the AHL where he would get top line minutes instead of 4th liner duty.

We could also use Tampas 10th overall plus our 30th overall to try to move up a few spots in the draft.

As does Luongo... but if you have been watching in the past few years, many players have NTC and NMC and move.  It just gives them some control over where they go... but not many guys really want to be playing somewhere that they aren't wanted.

Vancouver does seem like an attractive destination compared to most.

Tampa needs a bunch of D as well... Ballard would immediately be their #3 guy (assuming Ohlund retires).

Luongo+Ballard

Too funny sneaking Weber in there and Schneids at 2.5.....Jew Crazy essayfor

Malone+Prospect/Pick

Then we have cap space to go after basically any free agent we want.  I inserted Weber in here just to show what we can fit in that scenario.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Ryan Malone ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.650m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.525m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($2.500m)

Curtis Sanford ($0.600m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,200,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $100,000

Malone? If we wanted another winger for the second line we could just sign Parise and not give up any assets while doing so.

We can then just throw Schneider or Lu to Tampa for a draft pick.

In other words, we end up with Parise + draft pick as compared to just Malone.

We can't have both Malone and Parise because their caps together would be too high.

I think that you neglect to consider that there are 30 teams in the league... that means you don't just get to decide who you want and sign them. Parise will have plenty of offers, and will be significantly more expensive than Malone. The chance of us getting him are fairly remote even if we wanted to.

I would go farther and suggest Malone is probably a better fit to our current core anyways. You could even try him on the top line where he becomes a great net presence. That would allow you to have two lines that are also the set PP units rather than mixing and matching like we do now.

Vancouver is a prime spot for UFAs to go to of course Parise would want to be here, also Parise will probably be getting good money (6M/year) here and have an amazing chance to win the cup.

You really think Parise would want to sell out and get 7.5M and go to a team like NYI?

The reasoning for Malone being apart of the deal is that TB would definately want salary coming the other way. It's an exchange of unwanted contracts. However, Luongo's value is much higher than Malone's and that's where the 10th pick comes in. This pick may be enough to get a very good player down the line (Who knows, maybe even someone who can step in and play next year). Connolly would be perfect but I don't think TB would give him up for Luongo (for schneider yes)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Ryan Malone ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.650m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.525m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($2.500m)

Curtis Sanford ($0.600m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,200,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $100,000

Vancouver is a prime spot for UFAs to go to of course Parise would want to be here, also Parise will probably be getting good money (6M/year) here and have an amazing chance to win the cup.

You really think Parise would want to sell out and get 7.5M and go to a team like NYI?

Tampa needs a bunch of D as well... Ballard would immediately be their #3 guy (assuming Ohlund retires).

Luongo+Ballard

for

Malone+Prospect/Pick

Then we have cap space to go after basically any free agent we want. I inserted Weber in here just to show what we can fit in that scenario.

Archived