The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Not Hate Thread) Where Did Mason's Game Go

Jagorim Jarg

A couple of years ago he scored 25 goals, and watching his play recently one has to wonder how that happened so I started asking people during intermission the honest question:

Where did Mason Raymond's game go? At one point he looked to be a developing 30 goal scorer or at least a consistent 20.

Observations:

His last goals, one a notable rebound anyone could have popped tbh

decent passing

good PK when on his feet

he can hit but not in open ice

he's trying to stop and start too quickly forcing him to slip a lot

lots of shots from the outside

he has ..hands of lead, at least right now and for the majority of 2 seasons

doesn't really seem to 'get open' or go in front of the net

I'm asking honestly to people who might know as I can't remember plays in games in that season, what changed? His linemates must be somewhat different, maybe this? Is it confidence?

Did AV make a big change in his role 2 years ago? I realize he had the injury but that hasn't affected his speed that much so I have to wonder if/how that has affected his hands. He's clearly not the same, can anyone say anything about this without hating/ranting? I'm starting to think maybe the Booth trade was designed to replace Raymond, rather than just add to Kes' line.

Is there a reasonable conclusion to come to regarding his play? Do you think there's anything the team can do to get him kickstarted for next year or will they just give up? Why do some players regress instead of developing? He's 26 now and beyond the real 'progression' stage. Objectively, what happened?

That elbow injury from early last season really affected his shot. And the back injury I'm sure doesn't help his balance.

But overall, he's always been a streaky player. And really, there was only one brief snippet of his career when he actually performed like an effective sniper - that was the 30 games from October 24th through December 27th, 2009. In those 30 games, he scored 16 goals. If you take out that one nice streak of his, then career-wise, including playoffs, Raymond has scored only 61 goals in 348 games. That is just under a 15-goal pace (per 82 games).

The thing was, in the past we didn't have enough talented wingers to usurp his 2nd line status, so he'd have time to work through his dry spells. At the very least, his speed allowed him to not be a defensive liability out there. But now with Booth and Higgins, along with the development of Hansen and the continual performance of Burrows, he's simply no longer needed. There are better options right now, and soon I expect Schroeder and Kassian to challenge for regular top-9 roles.

Earlier in the season I mentioned that there is a real possibility that Raymond will not be qualified at over 2.5 million, and some scoffed at me. That is looking more and more likely.

there was only one brief snippet of his career when he actually performed like an effective sniper - that was the 30 games from October 24th through December 27th, 2009. In those 30 games, he scored 16 goals. If you take out that one nice streak of his, then career-wise, including playoffs, Raymond has scored only 61 goals in 348 games. That is just under a 15-goal pace (per 82 games).

I'll back the bus up

I'm sure we will find Mason under there sooner or later

If you lower your expectations on Raymond and see him for who he really is (not the second coming of Naslund)

you will set yourself up for no more disappointments

He's been playing a stronger game as of late IMO

I am always rooting for this kid to break out. With his speed and skating skills he could easily be a 20 goal guy. My guess its a mental thing. I have never seen a guy miss sooo many open nets or nets that are almost empty EVER. And that has to be a confiedence thing. There is no way he would have made it to the NHL just on speed and hands of stone. Thats why AV has been so patient with him. But make no mistake that MG has dangled his name many of times and I cant imagine seeing him on this team for too long. And as far as Booth being a possible replacment for MayRay, well he fits the bill as far as a speedy winger that well not score that much. But he was injured for awhile so I guess the jury is still out on him.

Mayrays back injury set him back for any chance of improving his play over the 2010-2011 season. I think if he was healthy last summer and was able to train and build some muscle, he may have been able to put up better numbers this year, who knows for sure. I believe Kesler is having the same issues with not being able to train during the summer. The thing about Mayray I cant figure out, is how he played when he first came back this season, he was tearing it up for about 3 or 4 games and then nothing.

Down the toilet. He had 1 good year where he impressed everyone and then his true colours came out and we now see the real Raymond. He might be successful in the East where he can skate super quick and fall down every few seconds and not be a liability, but he will not have success with this team moving forward.

Archived