The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Relationship Between Fans And Goalies Put Into Perspective

AMCanuck

The argument against Lou is his fragile psyche and that he has 'meltdowns'. Doesn't have enough composure. So... goalie lets in a bad goal and the entire team's psyche is affected, they lose composure and meltdown by being 'deflated'. You're willing to let the team of the hook for the same thing the goalie does? I don't buy it.

What he's had to endure the last season or two in Vancouver isn't pressure, it's pure hatred. Honestly, how anyone can spew that sort of venom towards another individual trying their best and doing a dam good job at it is beyond me. It's not everyone, but it's a large enough group that it's noticable. Absolutely disgusting given what this guy has gone through, what he has brought to this team, and the way he competes.

That was one series against one of the best offenses in the league with scorers more dynamic than any the Canucks have. And still, in that series, Thomas had a .915 save percentage with two shutouts and that was his WORST series in the playoffs. In every other series last year he was lights out. The Canucks have come back from deficits, but not against a goalie playing like Timmy T was. When you have a goalie that is playing that well, stymieing your offense at every turn, if your goalie lets up a few bad ones it is severely deflating. This is not a theory, I saw it. And in the games where Luongo let in 7 goals and 4 goals, the team didn't even have a chance to win. You say Luongo is the reason the series went 7 games, and truthfully in some of those games he played great, but I'd say he's the reason the Canucks didn't win in 6 or 7 games.

Also, did you just try to claim that Thomas isn't elite?

No I never said anything about T.T. not being elite, but since you asked...IMO...Thomas is NOT an elite goalie.

Game 6 you could certainly put on Luongo as goals came fast and furious, 5,6,8,9 minutes in the first period. Game 7 on the other hand the first goal was 14 mins into the first, and not again until the 12 min mark of the second period and then again at the 17minute mark, that's almost 2 full periods with no scoring from the Canucks and would eventually be shutout...ya that's right shut-out. The only goal that could be considered deflating was the 3rd goal which was short handed but the game was already lost by then anyways.

Honestly it's too bad you're the type of fan who just sees the end result instead of the process that got you there.

T.T. didn't even have a starting position last season and is a model of inconsistancy, his career would show that. Just because he has a SC doesn't make him elite. He most definitly does not fit in with the likes of Roy, Hasek, Fuhr, or even Luongo but more fits with guys like Richter, Ward, Khabibulan, Ranford.

How can I take anything you say seriously when you just said Luongo is better than Tim Thomas? Luongo may have a better career because Thomas started later, but even in his limited number of years played Tim Thomas has won two Vezinas, a Stanley Cup, and a Conn Smyth. Luongo has none of those. I mean damn, even the lower tier goalies you mentioned all have cups, so I don't know what else to say to you, you obviously overrate Luongo to incredible levels, so just keep doing that I guess.

Tim Thomas was drafted in 1994, late start...I don't think so. Thomas started playing in the NHL late because he was not an NHL caliber goalie.

Luongo drafted 1997....

Your reading comprehension is terrible by the way, I put Thomas in with the guys mentioned because they all have SC rings but are far from elite goalies, just like Thomas

Sedins were close to PPG players throughout the playoffs, your expectations are far too high "bro"

I never said anything about the Selke being an award for offence, I was referign to the player that won it "bro"

PPG is not what they were during the season. How are my expectations too high if I expect their play to raise dduring the playoffs, or at least stay the same? C'mon son, you're not making any sense. And they've never been dynamic scorers, we know this.

Good post. You queried our opinions on the relationship between fans and goalies, particularly as it pertains to luongo and van fan base.

I can only draw parallels here, but i have known quite a few people who are quite famous in their fields, actors models and some athletes. I also worked in the entertainment industry for many years.

From this experience, I conclude that fans are certainly relevent because of

the business aspect of sports/entertainment. Popularity sells merchandise.

Also applause and adulation is quite an ego stroke. That said, if you are in

the public eye you must develop resilience because there will always be

those who have nothing positive to say, for whatever reason. If one allowed

oneself to be impacted by the fans, one would not be self preservationistic.

In conclusion, I imagine that there is an amount of frustration on behalf of

the athletes when fans get acerbic, because we really may not have a clue

whats really going on... But I bet they simply must shut out all the

peripheral noise- the media, the fans etc. If they let it get to them they

would be letting it interfere with their careers. They are professionals at the

highest level of the game- their confidence is not ours to shatter.

I didn't say they melt down. But if you're pushing for a goal against a goalie playing unreal hockey and then at the other end your goalie lets a soft goal go by, it really takes the air out of the team and changes the momentum of the game. Have any of you ever played sports? This is not rocket science, it really happens.

So you would consider Cam Ward an elite goalie, he does have a conn smythe and a SC?

Or how about Tom Barrasso he has Calder, Vezina, Williams.M. Jennings + 2 Stanley Cups, do you think he's elite?

Archived