The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Room

Max-a-Million

I've heard it on 1040 so many times and each time I laugh "No room for error"

Well, after 82 games of "practice" and 4 playoff games, perhaps these professionals should not be thinking about making errors.

In any profession, be it doctor, dentist or lawyer, a star professional doesn't "plan" an error and neither should these guys.

Men, go out and be perfect for three games more games and get out of this series. Some say only 3 teams have ever done that! SO WHAT, you are going to be number 4. Be flat with that, no room for DOUBT.

Obviously you have never played sports at a high level. People never plan to make errors, but put themselves in a headspace unintentionally, that can make you play like Mason Raymond. I am sure he doesn't plan to play the way he does, rather an outcome of any number of things. Fear of failure, crisis of confidence, trying too hard, trying to do too much, too amped up, not amped up enough, scared of no longer being able to play in the NHL, who knows?

Errors are going to happen regardless, its whether you are mentally strong enough to limit them, and not make them when they matter most. "No room for error" is really a metaphor for no errors at decidedly critical times. Letting in a weak goal  when your up 4-0 is alot different error than letting in a weak goal 1-0. No teams play perfect hockey, but the closer you get to it the better chance you have of winning

I thought this had to do with a room vacancy or something.

And the difference between doctors and dentists is, they are not competing against someone else. It is hard to be perfect when you have someone in your face trying to prevent you from achieving that. But I get your point in that we need to be as close to it as possible.

i like the outlook chances for the canucks to win the cup this year, if you look at it in this perspective:

1985 - 1986 presidents torphy winner - Edmonton (lost division finals)

1986 - 1987 presidents trophy winner - Edmonton (Won Stanely Cup)

1987 - 1988 presidents torphy winner - Calgary (lost division finals)

1988 - 1989 presidents trophy winner - Calgary (Won Stanely Cup)

1994 - 1995 presidents torphy winner - Detriot (lost stanley cup)

1995 - 1996 presidents trophy winner - Detriot (Lost Conference Finals)

1997 - 1998 presidents torphy winner - Dallas (Lost Conference Finals)

1998 - 1999 presidents torphy winner - Dallas (won stanley cup)

2010 - 2011 presidents torphy winner - Vancouver (Lost stanley cup)

2011 - 2012 presidents torphy winner - Vancouver (TBD)

looking at it this way Vancouver will win the cup this year. and the next team to win back to back prez trophy's will lose the cup both years in one round or the other.

i like the outlook chances for the canucks to win the cup this year, if you look at it in this perspective:

And the difference between doctors and dentists is, they are not competing against someone else. It is hard to be perfect when you have someone in your face trying to prevent you from achieving that. But I get your point in that we need to be as close to it as possible.

its called "negative imaging". if you see the worst possible outcome in your head, chances are it will come true.

the kings see the canucks "reverse sweeping them". they will play tight and afraid to make mistakes.

nobody likes to see a lead evaporate. but the more the canucks gain momentum, the more they get in the kings head.

looking at it this way Vancouver will win the cup this year. and the next team to win back to back prez trophy's will lose the cup both years in one round or the other.

Yeah, and:

Olympic + Hangover = Stanley Cup

1) Montreal Winter Olympics 1976 = Canadiens Stanley Cup 1977

2) Lake Placid Winter Olympics 1980 = Islanders Stanley Cup 1981

3) Calgary Winter Olympics 1988 = Flames Stanley Cup 1989

4) Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010 = Canucks Stanley Cup 2011

:bigblush:

I've heard it on 1040 so many times and each time I laugh "No room for error"

Well, after 82 games of "practice" and 4 playoff games, perhaps these professionals should not be thinking about making errors.

In any profession, be it doctor, dentist or lawyer, a star professional doesn't "plan" an error and neither should these guys.

Men, go out and be perfect for three games more games and get out of this series. Some say only 3 teams have ever done that! SO WHAT, you are going to be number 4. Be flat with that, no room for DOUBT.

Archived