The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis

CanKnucklehead89

I've been reading numerous articles on TSN, nhl.com, and from other places and I've seen a lot of comments saying that Gillis should be fired if the Canucks don't make it out of the first round.

I was wondering what people on here think. I for one am a huge Gillis fan, the Hodgson deal stands out as a pretty questionable move but apart from that I've really liked what he's done and I like the organizational philosophy that he has implemented.

I think that this summer will be the most important time in his tenure as GM of the Canucks (maybe second most important after re-signing the Sedins) whether we make it out of this giant hole and go on a run or not and I personally feel comfortable and confident with Gillis at the helm heading into what is in my mind the most important off-season in years.

I've been reading numerous articles on TSN, nhl.com, and from other places and I've seen a lot of comments saying that Gillis should be fired if the Canucks don't make it out of the first round.

I was wondering what people on here think. I for one am a huge Gillis fan, the Hodgson deal stands out as a pretty questionable move but apart from that I've really liked what he's done and I like the organizational philosophy that he has implemented.

I think that this summer will be the most important time in his tenure as GM of the Canucks (maybe second most important after re-signing the Sedins) whether we make it out of this giant hole and go on a run or not and I personally feel comfortable and confident with Gillis at the helm heading into what is in my mind the most important off-season in years.

Mike Gillis has made mistakes, but overall he's done a great job with the franchise. He's assembled a great team and I doubt he'll be fired if the team goes out in the first round. It's more rare for the GM of a team to be fired after one underachieving season. Usually a GM is only fired if the team is consistently weak over a longer period of time.

Mike Gillis has made mistakes, but overall he's done a great job with the franchise. He's assembled a great team and I doubt he'll be fired if the team goes out in the first round. It's more rare for the GM of a team to be fired after one underachieving season. Usually a GM is only fired if the team is consistently weak over a longer period of time.

Sorry folks - not sold on Gillis as GM. Frankly, the bulk of the Nux core was already here whe he took over and I think the majority of trades/signings since then have been mediocre - Hamhuis and Manny being exceptions. Also, he often says one thing and then does another. I remember how he was on record ssaying how much he hated NTC's, and then promptly started handing them out like Halloween candy.

I'm not going to blame him for the reason that the entire team decided to suddenly have problems scoring, but he has traded away most of our snipers for grinders/checkers. Once Daniel Sedin is out of the equation it becomes a finger crossing exercise to see where goals will come from. Not a good recipe for a playoff team if you ask me.

Yup, I should have expected it, people calling for Gillis to be removed. Personally, I think he should be fired, almost even if they do win the Cup.

Credit him for making all the good moves and rebuilding this team and getting it to the finals, but he was also sucking the place dry and leaving the place dry with soul-less warriors. Really, I don't feel the same kind of attachment to the team as before, and most of the guys who most identified with us (Mitchell and Linden to name a few), he removed from the team.

The Canucks are becoming but a machine, and a useless one albeit. Unable to win, so far, and hardly respected.

Yup, I should have expected it, people calling for Gillis to be removed. Personally, I think he should be fired, almost even if they do win the Cup.

Credit him for making all the good moves and rebuilding this team and getting it to the finals, but he was also sucking the place dry and leaving the place dry with soul-less warriors. Really, I don't feel the same kind of attachment to the team as before, and most of the guys who most identified with us (Mitchell and Linden to name a few), he removed from the team.

The Canucks are becoming but a machine, and a useless one albeit. Unable to win, so far, and hardly respected.

Archived