The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis

CanKnucklehead89

As a GM you cant make players play, thats the coaches job. He has done some questionable stuff, but for the most part he has been great for the organization over all. The Vancouver Canucks is a class organization that is envied by many other teams in the league. We can attract top talent, we make the play-offs every year and they are a driving force in our community.

Burke on the other hand, is a loud mouth baby. When he's not getting what he wants he goes on national television and wines like a baby....remember Colton Orr? Pretty hard to set an example when you are the biggest whiner on the team. I wouldn't want our GM making us look so pathetic and weak, and that attitude just trickles down to the players. Anyone notice Toronto's record last year. Ive never seen MG whining on national television about anything,.......... well there was one time last play-offs about officiating.

My point is that MG is a class act and a leader, that makes Vancouver a classy organization.

Also moot, since Gillis has been here just four seasons.

He took a team that didn't make the playoffs and in just four seasons has seen his players win multiple awards, his team win two presidents trophies in a row and had his team lose in the finals.

Sorry we didn't win the cup, but that's still pretty damn good for four seasons.

Burke's been in TO just as long and his team still hasn't made the playoffs. Cheers.

TOML

Yes, lost a bit of the edge he created last year with Torres and Malhotra pre-season > Lapierre & Higgins at the deadline. Pahlsson has been good, but 5 tough guys recruited as complimentary players pre-season have had no impact > so we made the disasterous trade to give up Hodgson for that toughness which could play. Only it hasn't...

Speed, skill, the PP & talent was the flavour of the day quoted after last years play off & that we would not be dismantling the team to compete against one match up (Boston). But we have... Samuelsson was the play maker on line 2, fine he was traded for a big athletic body but then we traded Hodgson the play maker destined to supplant him. Effectively we became bigger and faster up front, but dropped in secondary scoring. And we have not been able to score enough goals, so this was one mistake.

Not getting a big physical defender was the other. We have lots of small and medium size defenders; but look how effective Penner, Brown & Kopitar have been? Not lights out, but we have had trouble matching up. Tanev is a fantastic young player, Gillis was betting on him (or Gragnani). But i've seen Brown knock Tanev off the puck for at least 4 or 5 opportunities & Penner is suddenly effective against our smallish line up. Now, having Danny back impacts this (strangely) because we do sooo much betterof a job at puck control which takes the pressure off. But we should have more defenders who can take the heat! We can whinge about Hodgson/Kassian all we want, but a bigger match up problem than secondary scoring is that big physical defender!

I'm not for firing MG at this point, but his string of near perfect moves is over.

I've been reading numerous articles on TSN, nhl.com, and from other places and I've seen a lot of comments saying that Gillis should be fired if the Canucks don't make it out of the first round.

I was wondering what people on here think. I for one am a huge Gillis fan, the Hodgson deal stands out as a pretty questionable move but apart from that I've really liked what he's done and I like the organizational philosophy that he has implemented.

I think that this summer will be the most important time in his tenure as GM of the Canucks (maybe second most important after re-signing the Sedins) whether we make it out of this giant hole and go on a run or not and I personally feel comfortable and confident with Gillis at the helm heading into what is in my mind the most important off-season in years.

Yes, lost a bit of the edge he created last year with Torres and Malhotra pre-season > Lapierre & Higgins at the deadline. Pahlsson has been good, but 5 tough guys recruited as complimentary players pre-season have had no impact > so we made the disasterous trade to give up Hodgson for that toughness which could play. Only it hasn't...

Speed, skill, the PP & talent was the flavour of the day quoted after last years play off & that we would not be dismantling the team to compete against one match up (Boston). But we have... Samuelsson was the play maker on line 2, fine he was traded for a big athletic body but then we traded Hodgson the play maker destined to supplant him. Effectively we became bigger and faster up front, but dropped in secondary scoring. And we have not been able to score enough goals, so this was one mistake.

Not getting a big physical defender was the other. We have lots of small and medium size defenders; but look how effective Penner, Brown & Kopitar have been? Not lights out, but we have had trouble matching up. Tanev is a fantastic young player, Gillis was betting on him (or Gragnani). But i've seen Brown knock Tanev off the puck for at least 4 or 5 opportunities & Penner is suddenly effective against our smallish line up. Now, having Danny back impacts this (strangely) because we do sooo much betterof a job at puck control which takes the pressure off. But we should have more defenders who can take the heat! We can whinge about Hodgson/Kassian all we want, but a bigger match up problem than secondary scoring is that big physical defender!

I'm not for firing MG at this point, but his string of near perfect moves is over.

Not the whole truth;

- Luongo would have been UFA when signed by Gillis

- Henrik Sedin would have been UFA

- Daniel Sedin would have been UFA

- Burrows would have been UFA

- Salo would have been UFA

- Bieksa would have been UFA

- Hamhuis was of course UFA

- Booth was acquired in trade for Samuelsson; who was signed as a UFA

- Higgins would have been UFA & was acquired by trade

- Lapierre would have been UFA & was acquired by trade

- Malhotra was UFA

- Tanev was UFA

- Ballard was acquired by trade

- Alberts would have been UFA & was acquired by trade

- Rome was UFA

- Pahlsson was acquired by trade

- Gragnani was acquired by trade

- Weise was acquired off waivers

- Bitz was UFA

- Ebbett was UFA

- Volpatti was UFA

- Schneider WAS NOT traded

- Raymond was RFA

- Edler was RFA

- Kesler was RFA

- Hansen was RFA

Did I miss anyone? Looks to me like 22 out of our roster players are here either signed when UFA or traded for by Gillis. 23 if you include the coach. Its definitely HIS team.

:bigblush:

Schneider is an entry contract, same for Kassian,

The core was so solid this team has succeeded in spite of him, not because of him.

Archived