The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Is A Real Pro.

quadrapioneer

I just watched the latest interview after this mornings practise. Whether you love him or hate him, I really appreciate how he is handling the situation. He is not to blame for the hole the team is in. Coach had to do something and Cory was the biggest change with the least potential loss on the ice. Loved the comment, " I will not put the team ahead of myself." We need to continue to support the whole team.

When we get through this round, the whole situation may have turned 180 again. Lets be the best fans for the league's best team. Its what they deserve.

At the end of the day the goal is winning the Stanley Cup! If he has to sit don't you think he will if it means he gets the cup? I mean we expect a long run and Cory is a key piece to this puzzle! We will see Luongo at some point during this run but obviously the team and Luongo will do anything to win and that means playing the hot hand. Everyone must chip in to win that cup!

I just watched the latest interview after this mornings practise. Whether you love him or hate him, I really appreciate how he is handling the situation. He is not to blame for the hole the team is in. Coach had to do something and Cory was the biggest change with the least potential loss on the ice. Loved the comment, " I will not put the team ahead of myself." We need to continue to support the whole team.

When we get through this round, the whole situation may have turned 180 again. Lets be the best fans for the league's best team. Its what they deserve.

At the end of the day the goal is winning the Stanley Cup! If he has to sit don't you think he will if it means he gets the cup? I mean we expect a long run and Cory is a key piece to this puzzle! We will see Luongo at some point during this run but obviously the team and Luongo will do anything to win and that means playing the hot hand. Everyone must chip in to win that cup!

I know people are giving Lu a pass on those two games and all, but look at Quick's numbers, Schneider's numbers, and Lu's numbers for this series.

We knew this series was going to be air-tight. We gave Lu a shot. Twice. And he wasn't quite air-tight enough. You can't blame AV for attempting to save his job when he made the switch.

People have to come to realize that this stuff happens on elite teams all the time. For example, Thomas was as good as gone two years ago when Rask apparently took over. Nope. Instead he rebounded to have one of the best seasons ever.

Speaking of one of the best seasons ever, Schneider is currently having one. We probably should've went with him from the start. Cheers.

TOML

I'm not meaning for this post to sound harsh so bear that in mind.

I've always felt Luongo had a massive ego (slightly smaller than Kesler's, but still large*), but from the start of the season I've felt he has put it aside and has truly become a team first guy. He wants a cup and is willing to swollow his pride for the sake of it.

I also think it helps that Cory has paid his dues. If this was some 19 year old backup I think it may be different.

*Can really be taken out of context. :bigblush:

It's really too bad that people have such short memories, or are new fans that have no idea what Luongo has done for this orginization.

Luongo was not the reason Vancouver lost the first 2 games, and getting out of this series is going to be even tougher, but somehow I'm guessing that Schneider will get a pass if he loses the series.

A quote from NHL.com

"Luongo's .891 save percentage while losing the first two games against the Kings fails to recognize the degree of difficulty among the 35 stops he made in Game 1, when he easily was the Canucks' best player, and a .951 save percentage while playing at even strength. Luongo's even-strength save percentage trails only three other goalies with a playoff start -- Rinne (.962), Schneider (.957) and Jonathan Quik (.955)."

Link to article

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628819

Archived