The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Malhotra Better Than Reinprecht? [Trade Value]

Just wondering which player is better in terms of trade value. I know theres going to be a bias and we've never seen Reinprecht play with the team but I just want to know which player is more valuable as a trade asset.

*Edit: Keep in mind, I'm not saying we should trade Malhotra.

one has a no-trade clause on the repeating Presidents' Trophy-winning and most recent Stanley Cup runner-up squad, and has been an integral part of the penalty kill and wears an "A" on his chest and his heart on his sleeve defensively. The other? Waived by the worst team back then, the Panthers, sent to the minors and not claimed, sent to us as a cap dump so they can rebuild and then begin their youth movement.

you tell me who's got more value.

one has a no-trade clause on the repeating Presidents' Trophy-winning and most recent Stanley Cup runner-up squad, and has been an integral part of the penalty kill and wears an "A" on his chest and his heart on his sleeve defensively. The other? Waived by the worst team back then, the Panthers, sent to the minors and not claimed, sent to us as a cap dump so they can rebuild and then begin their youth movement.

you tell me who's got more value.

Reinprecht doesn't have any trade value, he's in the minors for a reason. Malhotra is a solid player, he just coming off a major injury and couldn't train last summer so he was playing catch up all season. He'll be bettter next year.

Make a poll OP. It's close but I'd have to say Malhotra.

Malhotra would have this easy for me, except that he's locked in a little longer (which could also be good) and he costs more ($2.5M compared to Reinprecht's $2.05M). Malhotra's skills have been on consistent display as of recently so people have seen him at the NHL level for a while. Reinprecht hasn't been playing in the NHL for a long time, which lowers his value.

I don't think that you'd get much of anything for either one of them.

Nobody would take Manny's production for 2.5 mil/year in their right mind. He was good last year no doubt, but his play has fallen off a cliff.

As mentioned, Reinprecht is an unrestricted free agent, so he's coming of the books and we won't be able to trade him.

Reinprecht has no trade value! He is a UFA and is 36 years old. Has passed through waivers and isn't an NHL calibre player anymore. He will be lucky to get a two-way deal in September. Probably get a PTO somewhere and end up in Europe for a couple of years a la Owen Nolan.

Gillis had to take him just to seal the Booth deal. There was no plan ever in place to bring him up to the NHL level and I highly doubt he will be brought up. I think the waiver argument is wrong. He won't get claimed even if he has to pass through.

I will say this, fair question op...

Maybe if you just heard of the name Reinprecht and saw his point totals in the AHL, you would think that we have a gem on our hands.

While I'm in the Manny's more valuable then Reinprecht camp, I don't think that there is much difference in terms of their trade value.

Archived