The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Confirmed Ntc Details For Luongo

elvis15

Since there's so many people suggesting Luongo be traded, it's only right we actually have the details of his NTC. Perhaps this can get pinned to Canucks Talk.

From CapGeek.com:

KNOWN CLAUSES (note: if player has been traded, clauses may no longer apply): NTC (player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; if player does not submit trade list at that time, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018). If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.

LETZ TRAYD HIM 2 TAMPA BEY FOR LECAVULAR ND ST LUIZ. LOL.

Thanks for posting this. I'm SOOOOOOOOO tired of going to a bar and hearing people talk about things they're sooooooo clueless about.

Besides that, Luongo's a great goalie. Stay or go, he'll prove his worth on any team.

Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't A) Played hockey before (goalie in particular) B ) followed other NHL teams.

Guest The Brown Burrows

It's not really confirmed if it's been out there for awhile... but I'm sure some people on this site will be shocked.

Guest BuckFoston

Thanks for the post, but this is (or at least should be) common knowledge. Most armchair gms in here don't even know what NTC stands for, much less the basic details of players' contracts.

Those clauses really seem like a formality, though. As you've already pointed out, he can simply waive his NTC at any time, allowing the team to trade him. They can approach him at any time about waiving the NTC, and he can approach the team at any time about a trade.

The clause merely means that if Roberto asks for a trade in 2014, the team should probably trade him. Otherwise, they aren't allowed to ask him about a trade four years later. If he decides to waive his NTC in 2018, though, they can still trade him. He doesn't have to be traded in 2014 either. The clause merely gives Roberto an excuse to evaluate what he wants to do without annoying team management.

It's a complete formality based on respect between Mike Gillis and Roberto Luongo. Gillis has pointed out that he won't ask players to waive their NTCs, and prior to now, Roberto hasn't hinted at all about asking for a trade. This clause really serves no purpose once one side wants a trade to occur. If team ownership decides Roberto must move, they will put pressure Gillis. The clause means little; it merely implies the two parties respected one another at the time the contract was signed.

Those clauses really seem like a formality, though. As you've already pointed out, he can simply waive his NTC at any time, allowing the team to trade him. They can approach him at any time about waiving the NTC, and he can approach the team at any time about a trade.

I don't know who exactly started the luongo for lecavalier trade but that is the dumbest trade I have heard and if it happens it will be a total fail on the canucks. Why would you trade a long contract for another long contract? And to make it worse, lecavalier has a higher cap hit than luongo at 7.7mill/year. Canucks better not do that trade no matter what. I rather keep luongo than go through this trade.

Gillis has already stated he won't ask players to waive their NTCs as he feels they've earned them if they were a part of their contracts. Luongo could ask, but if he doesn't then we're right back to the NTC options. It's not that often that NTCs are waived, even if it does happen.

suggesting big names in a luongo deal is ludicrous, it's about dumping salaries which may include raymond, booth n ballard and the team would have upwards to 14 million ( i haven't done the exact math-but ya get my drift )

Archived