The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Raffi Torres Gets 25 Games

Guest AriGold

Torres has made a career out of these hits. Perhaps it's best that it stopped.

Keith was never going to be suspended that long.

The other guy, who has become an 'angel' now, is Cooke. If Lemieux didn't shut down his evil ways he likely would've been the sacrificial lamb instead of Raffi.

Now is it clear why the Canucks lost Raffi? Cheers.

TOML

I love how people are defending the hit. The guy launched himself into Hossa, I fail to see how it happens to be a hockey play lmao. He was thrown the book because of his history of idiocy, not because of this play specifically. Aside from that I still say its too harsh, it should have around 10-15 games. I don't expect to see many 25 game suspensions, in this case it was just a player who has a history of many plays just like this.

I feel bad for torres. He was totally made into a scapegoat for all the recent non suspensions (and questionable lengths for the suspensions they did enforce) on way dirtier hits.

The NHL was probably licking their chops when this happened... An on edge player, the furtherst thing from a star in the league, causing an elite player to be taken out on a stretcher.

What better time for them to finally act like they're serious about cracking down?

Like many others had mentioned, had Hossa laid Torres out with the same hit he likely wouldn't even have been assessed a fine. I don't even think the hit was late, seeing as there are tons of hits EVERY game that are 4-5 seconds late that dont even warrant a call let alone a 25 game suspension.

Given his history of big hits, and the fact he did leave his feet I would think 3 games is fair. 25 games is absolutely laughable.

The NHL is a freaking joke.

Straight Ridick!

I agree with most of the sentiments on this thread.

Comparing this hit where he gets off scott-free and the Hossa hit. The only differnece is the Principal point of contact is only a couple inches or so differnt, and Seabrook wasnt taken off on a stretcher. 25games different? Whoa Nhl Seriously?

Good perhaps now he'll learn. It is excessive but perhaps that's what's needed. Everybody seems to forget we all thought Torres was dirty before he was a Canucks. He's not dirty like Cooke was but he crosses the line far too often. This is what like his 3rd suspension? Pretty sure he's had a good number of fines as well.

Intent to injure or not it was a really stupid play that could have ended a guys career. I don't care what team a guy plays on he doesn't deserve that and for that Torres deserves to not have a chance to play in the playoffs even if his team wins the cup with 4 straight 7 game series.

Keith had similar dirty elbows to the head on Matt Cooke and Ruslan Salei, but they went unpunished, so he's not considered a "repeat offender" which is dumb. 5 regular season games = 2 or 3 playoff games.

Star players are less likely to be considered repeat offenders because they haven't been punished the same as a 3rd/4th line player.

Archived