The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nhl Conference Re-Alignment Proposal

Personally, I don't really like the re-alignment the NHL has on the table right now.  I don't think it will work out with two conferences that have eight teams each while two conferences that have seven teams each.  Also, mathematically, I don't think it is fair to the teams in the "West", who have eight teams each.  Both conferences have a 4 in 8 chance of making the playoffs, or 50%, while in the "East", the two conferences have a much greater chance of making the playoffs, a 4 in 7 chance, or 57%.  In the West you have to be better than 4 other teams in you conference, while in the East you only need to be better than 3.  That isn't really fair to the teams who work their butts off to make the playoffs in the west.  More Eastern bias, obviously.  Also if you look closely all the NHL did was move Winnipeg to the East and then split the teams in the remaining conferences into 4 "divisions"

I personally like the six division format as well as the scheduling format we currently have in place, so I have made a proposed re-alignment based on that.  I have also based it on time zones and travel length, which I think should be used when figuring these divisions out.

Proposal:

Western Conference

Northwest Division

Vancouver Canucks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Winnipeg Jets

Colorado Avalanche

Pacific Division

Phoenix Coyotes

Dallas Stars

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings

Central Division

Chicago Blackhawks

St. Louis Blues

Minnesota Wild

Detroit Red Wings

Columbus Blue Jackets

Eastern Conference

Northeast Division

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Buffalo Sabres

Boston Bruins

Atlantic Division

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Southeast Division

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Carolina Hurricanes

Nashville Predators

Washington Capitals

Personally, moving Nashville makes the most sense because they are very close to Florida and Washington, and while Detroit is also there, the Atlantic makes the most sense with New Jersey, two New York and two Pennsylvania teams, all in driving distance so moving Detroit to Atlantic wouldn't work because we would have to bring an Atlantic Division team to the Southeast

Moving Detroit to the Northeast wouldn't work either as Northeast teams can't move to the Southeast division, it is too long of travel

And Detroit to Southeast makes no sense, so I chose NashvilleThis is my first post on CDC as well, so I don't know what you guys think. Is this a good thread? Bad? Let me know

This was my original proposal when I found out the the Thrashers were moving to Winnipeg. It makes sense geographically.

However, I don't like the current scheduling format 'cause I don't want to see the Canucks play the Flames 6 times a year compared to a team like the Capitals whom we only play once. So the home/away format they're implementing next year will make for more exciting hockey.

I personally like the conference realignment because believe it or not, there's a 8/15 (53%) chance of making the playoffs under the current format compared to a 4/8 (50%) chance for Conferences 'A' and 'B'. So technically it'd be harder to make the playoffs under the new re-alignment.

When it comes to the playoffs, since the conferences are geographically based, traveling between cities will be a lot easier than having to fly all the way to say Nashville for a playoff game like we did in round 2 last year. Since nothing was written in stone when it came to the playoff format, there could've been a chance for a SCF that composed of say Canucks 'A' vs. Hawks 'B', which would be insane instead of always having to do West vs. East! The Campbell and Wales trophies would've been sorted out had this proposal actually gone through.

So aside from naming the conferences 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', and geographically separating the Florida teams from the rest of conference 'C', I personally like new proposal. Too bad the NHLPA didn't and Jets will spend another year in the Southeast Division...

Another big problem with this would be that there will be 4 Canadian teams playing in the NW division and Colorado probably won't like being the only American team. Heard that somewhere. I would still prefer if the Canucks were moved to the Pacific division, same time zone and less travel if you take into account how far away Minny and Colorado are.

This was my original proposal when I found out the the Thrashers were moving to Winnipeg. It makes sense geographically.

However, I don't like the current scheduling format 'cause I don't want to see the Canucks play the Flames 6 times a year compared to a team like the Capitals whom we only play once. So the home/away format they're implementing next year will make for more exciting hockey.

I personally like the conference realignment because believe it or not, there's a 8/15 (53%) chance of making the playoffs under the current format compared to a 4/8 (50%) chance for Conferences 'A' and 'B'. So technically it'd be harder to make the playoffs under the new re-alignment.

When it comes to the playoffs, since the conferences are geographically based, traveling between cities will be a lot easier than having to fly all the way to say Nashville for a playoff game like we did in round 2 last year. Since nothing was written in stone when it came to the playoff format, there could've been a chance for a SCF that composed of say Canucks 'A' vs. Hawks 'B', which would be insane instead of always having to do West vs. East! The Campbell and Wales trophies would've been sorted out had this proposal actually gone through.

So aside from naming the conferences 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', and geographically separating the Florida teams from the rest of conference 'C', I personally like new proposal. Too bad the NHLPA didn't and Jets will spend another year in the Southeast Division...

The only thing I don't really like about the current scheduling format is, like you said, we only play once against most eastern teams. I believe we should have 2 games vs. East for 30 games (1 Home 1 Away). We don't need 6 division games, we should see other teams in the league more oftenHowever, I believe under the current format, making the playoffs is fair for both conferences. Under the new format, you would have a 50% chance of making the playoffs if you are in conference A or B, and a 57% chance of making the playoffs if you are in conference C or D. This is the part I hate the most about the new format. I think all teams should have an equal chance of making the playoffs, and not different chances depending on where you are located.Another thing we could do is add two expansion teams in the west (Seattle? Salt Lake City? Las Vegas?) and move Detroit/Nashville/Columbus to the east, and have 8 teams per conference. That makes both conferences equal in size, it evens out the chances of making the playoffs. But the chances of us adding two expansion teams are small.

Archived