The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop Calling Everyone A "bandwagoner"

uber_pwnzor

I understand your frustration with the fans you pointed out but the fact is they are not bandwagon fans. A bandwagon fan would not take the time to read CDC much less post. There is also nothing wrong with bandwagon fans, they join in the celebrations make things electric then go away (although the mess after game seven was bandwagon fans).

It sounds to me you don't like negative fans but what has that to do with bandwagon fans?

Start calling them negative fans not bandwagon fans.

I know what you mean, however my point is we are a successful team, a talented team and a team that gives 100%. No team is invincible.

It is my theory that with such a successful team the fans who turn first on the team, the players, the coach and the GM are usually the band waggoner/fair weather fans.

They don't seem to understand how hard you have to work to be successful so they are unable to align themselves with the players and the team in times of disappointment.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be here or that they shouldn't post or make threads. I'm just saying most of them haven't a clue. I also think there ARE quite a few who take the trouble to post on here.

Actually, I don't know if you fall into the category but I think you'll find that calling someone a bandwaggoner or a fair-weather fan when they say something like "AV sucks, get rid of him" after one or two losses looks to be on pretty strong footing to me.

No one needs to be happy with every single thing about this team but the trouble with bandwaggoners and fair weather fans is...............that is usually EXACTLY what they are.

How do we know this? Because as soon as the few who are prepared to back up their ludicrous complaints proffer solutions they tend to make a fool of themselves.

They seem to live in LaLA land where the fact they WANT a Stanley Cup somehow means it should just show up. They are the ones who because someone has told them Vancouver is a huge market they think the opposition will say "Oh well then, we'll just roll over"

They also seem to be the types who probably live by excuses in their Playstation Worlds but accept no excuses for the team they profess to support.

They are usually the guys on here who wet their pants in anticipation of an incoming player, building him up to some super hero irrespective of his past history, age or experience.............then "lynch" him after 3 poor games.

They are the people who profess to watch and understand the game but if they do, seem to have selective memory about players in general and certain players in particular.

In short they are devoid of loyalty, faith, any understanding of what it takes to play in a team or even in most cases I suspect, play a team sport.

Many I suspect will only stick with the team as long as they are doing well others will stick anyway, because they have a need to hate, criticise and put down these players to make their lives somehow more liveable.

Many do it because their self worth is bonded hermetically to the team performance so any failure by the team is looked on as an attack on their social status..............that is not what being a fan is about and it never has been........that is a bandwaggoner.

How to spot the bandwaggoner is pretty simple. Troll through a game thread where the Canucks are struggling in the first period.......suddenly every player is useless and the whole team needs traded, AV is a douche and MG hasn't a clue................then once the Canucks have turned it round watch these same people contradict themselves and give an outstanding demonstration of selective memory, woohooing and acting like their earlier posts were written by someone else. It's comical.

Banwaggoners are rife on these boards and I suspect the OP is one of them, trying to do a good impersonation of Lady MacBeth.

Bandwagoner:

In sports, someone who shamelessly cheers for a particular team not because he likes them or follows them faithfully, but only because that particular team is the "popular" choice or has been or is the top team in their specific sport recently. When that team which bandwagoners follow falls from grace, they gleefully jump on the next teams bandwagon and cheer for that team.

True fans are quite often critcal of their team. They fully understand the game which can lead to unhappiness over management decisions or player performance.

Deal with it people. You are probably not a true fan if you are ONLY positive about every aspect of our team and can't see any flaws. Take off the rose coloured glasses.

Archived