The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Working At Save On Foods

RyanKeslord17

Hey guys, so I recently got a job as a cashier at Save On Foods, and at first, I was really happy and it seemed like a stress free job. Then on my first day, after all my training, I was on by myself at the till, and it was not easy. I have to remeber many codes and I dont even know some of the produce items. Its super busy during weekend hours and its not fun. I know its my first shift, and I should give it some time, but I dont feel like pursuing a cashier position at the store. However, the respect that is given to all employees, plus the benefits is awesome, its a great company to work for. I really dont want to quit the position. I was thinking, is there anyway that I could ask a manager to move me to a stocks person? In produce or grocery? Its such a great place to work, just not as a cashier.

Any advice would be awesome.

Depends on the manager.

I worked as a porter for 4 hours in a bar one time, and after my shift told the manager I wanted to work at the liquor store (they had a liquor store).

He said ok, and I worked there for a bit.

If your managers a dink it might not go well.

If he isn't he might be like ok, we'll move you.

End of the day (no offense) it's a starter's job and if you get canned, you can move on fairly easily...

I say don't stress out over it. Be vocal, see what happens, weigh your options.

My first job was as a cashier at a grocery store as well. It can be hectic, especially on weekends. I remember find it overwhelming at first as well, and it took me a while to get used to it and comfortable with the job.

Honestly, once you get the hang of it, being a cashier is pretty straightforward job. Nonetheless, if it isn't something you want to pursue, I would recommend talking to the manager, s/he might be able to provide you with some buddy shifts, or move you to another department if possible.

Good luck!!

My first job was as a cashier at a grocery store as well. It can be hectic, especially on weekends. I remember find it overwhelming at first as well, and it took me a while to get used to it and comfortable with the job.

Honestly, once you get the hang of it, being a cashier is pretty straightforward job. Nonetheless, if it isn't something you want to pursue, I would recommend talking to the manager, s/he might be able to provide you with some buddy shifts, or move you to another department if possible.

Good luck!!

Hey guys, so I recently got a job as a cashier at Save On Foods, and at first, I was really happy and it seemed like a stress free job. Then on my first day, after all my training, I was on by myself at the till, and it was not easy. I have to remeber many codes and I dont even know some of the produce items. Its super busy during weekend hours and its not fun. I know its my first shift, and I should give it some time, but I dont feel like pursuing a cashier position at the store. However, the respect that is given to all employees, plus the benefits is awesome, its a great company to work for. I really dont want to quit the position. I was thinking, is there anyway that I could ask a manager to move me to a stocks person? In produce or grocery? Its such a great place to work, just not as a cashier.

Hey JeffTambo. I was actually a cashier at Superstore a while ago, but I know what you're feeling. I was a bit overwhelmed the first week, but it gets easier from there. It does seem like there's a lot of codes for produce items, but I found that after a while, you notice that many customers seem to buy the same type of produce. I had made myself a little cheatsheet for the first couple of weeks but when customers all buy the same type of fruits and vegetables, you'll notice yourself remembering certain codes by heart since you're punching them in so much.

Of course, there's also times where customers seem to buy the strangest fruits or vegetables and you might not know what it is. For me, I would just ask them what the name of the item was, if they remembered, and most of the time if they're not cheap or stupid, they will give you the correct thing and if you have a little code sheet you can look it up. There was one time though, this woman bought a weird ass squash that I had no clue what it was. It looked like a dick for real and I asked her the name of what it was but she didn't know. I don't know if you have it at Save-On's (but probably they do), you can just call a guy to check it out for you. Turned out it came from a bin called "Assorted Squash" what the frick haha.

Another downside is that sometimes during peak hours, for whatever reason some items might not scan or go through properly and for whatever reason you're stalled there awaiting help and customers start to get angsty. Don't feel stressed! Some people are going to be jerks and start freaking out but it is what it is and you'll get through it.

The upside to cashiering from my experience was probably just the fact that we earned more than other positions haha. I also made a lot of cashier friends who worked tills in lanes beside me so it was fun working with them.

But if you're really uncomfortable with the position, you should consider asking your supervisor. Did they assign you the cashier job or did you apply for it? You can ask them if they have any other departments that seek help, and if not, maybe they could let you know if any spots open up for you to switch positions. Personally I think it might not reflect too well if you request for a change in position too soon after you've just started.

But yeah, see how it goes. If it really isn't working for you, I don't think it would hurt to ask, right? Cheers.

EDIT: Sorry I wrote this post assuming you're still new to the cashiering position; my bad if it's all stuff you already kind of know!

Oh wow, you weren't totally comfortable and familiar with the job during your first shift? What a disaster!

You'd probably feel the same in any position. If they had stuck you on shelf-stocking, you'd come here and make a thread about how hard it was because you didn't all the isles and you hadn't memorized where all the items go and it was hard to make room for some of them.

Give it some time, being a cashier is about the easiest job you'll have in your life.

Hey JeffTambo. I was actually a cashier at Superstore a while ago, but I know what you're feeling. I was a bit overwhelmed the first week, but it gets easier from there. It does seem like there's a lot of codes for produce items, but I found that after a while, you notice that many customers seem to buy the same type of produce. I had made myself a little cheatsheet for the first couple of weeks but when customers all buy the same type of fruits and vegetables, you'll notice yourself remembering certain codes by heart since you're punching them in so much.

Of course, there's also times where customers seem to buy the strangest fruits or vegetables and you might not know what it is. For me, I would just ask them what the name of the item was, if they remembered, and most of the time if they're not cheap or stupid, they will give you the correct thing and if you have a little code sheet you can look it up. There was one time though, this woman bought a weird ass squash that I had no clue what it was. It looked like a dick for real and I asked her the name of what it was but she didn't know. I don't know if you have it at Save-On's (but probably they do), you can just call a guy to check it out for you. Turned out it came from a bin called "Assorted Squash" what the frick haha.

Another downside is that sometimes during peak hours, for whatever reason some items might not scan or go through properly and for whatever reason you're stalled there awaiting help and customers start to get angsty. Don't feel stressed! Some people are going to be jerks and start freaking out but it is what it is and you'll get through it.

The upside to cashiering from my experience was probably just the fact that we earned more than other positions haha. I also made a lot of cashier friends who worked tills in lanes beside me so it was fun working with them.

But if you're really uncomfortable with the position, you should consider asking your supervisor. Did they assign you the cashier job or did you apply for it? You can ask them if they have any other departments that seek help, and if not, maybe they could let you know if any spots open up for you to switch positions. Personally I think it might not reflect too well if you request for a change in position too soon after you've just started.

But yeah, see how it goes. If it really isn't working for you, I don't think it would hurt to ask, right? Cheers.

EDIT: Sorry I wrote this post assuming you're still new to the cashiering position; my bad if it's all stuff you already kind of know!

Archived