The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Potential Rioting Destroy The Chance Of Having Public Viewing Areas?

Hi guys.

I know this is kinda a soft topic, and no Canucks fan really wants to talk about, but I was just wondering if you guys think that the possibility of having outdoor viewing areas as there were last year in the finals, has vanished due to risk of rioting...

To be frank I don't. I think that the municiple government severely mis-managed security that night, and had there been riot police ready initially and had there been enough there they would've been able to nip the rioting as quickly as it started.

I don't want a bunch of hicks to ruin what was truly an awesome concept, of viewing the games in public, because of mis-management...

So do you guys think that there will,l ever be outdoor viewing again in the finals to come?

Thanks,

GJM

I hope so. If I had to choose between watching my city burn or watching on my couch at home with family and friends I think I'd choose option B. Maybe if they spread out the viewing stations (One in Richmond, one at Scott Road in Surrey, one downtown etc) it COULD work but why take the risk.

I'm pretty sure they've already announced that there will be outdoor viewing again. However all the ones downtown are going to be quite small screens (to control crowd size).

I believe locations in Surrey will still have giant screens/crowds like last year.

Yes. The riots ruined it for everyone. There will be smaller viewing locations set up around downtown and in surrounding cities. So if you don't live downtown, STFO. Don't feeling like picking up your crap the next day. I live and work at Homer and Robson and it was a joke last year. Everyone left downtown a disaster zone while they went home to their nice little suburb. Thanks for nothing..

I'm sure the city will do something if we're in the finals again, but of course, they'll be more cautious and will probably use such a setup that, as above posters have mentioned, don't let large crowds gather.

Although I remember reading earlier in the year that the city announced that outdoor viewing was no longer an option this year, has this changed?

Guest BuckFoston

The bad part is that it wasn't just "a bunch of hicks" or a bunch of Americans who for some reason decided to shell out money for Canuck jerseys as many like to think.

Face up to it, plenty of them were regular folks who were angry and totally wasted.

As for downtown viewing, I'll worry about it once we make it out of round 1 at least.

It was already announced before the start of the playoffs that there wasn't going to be any viewing spots downtown for the playoffs this year! No Fun City!

But Surrey on the other hand has said if they make it to the Finals again they will have the same viewing spots up, they had up last year!

April 9, 2012, 4:11 pm

THE CANADIAN PRESS

SURREY, B.C. -- Last year's Stanley Cup riot has convinced city officials the Vancouver Canucks, gigantic public television screens, playoffs and drunken fans don't mix and the city won't be putting the screens up this year. But neighbouring Surrey plans to put one up.

Dianne Watts, who is mayor in the suburb that is British Columbia's second-largest city, said Monday that thousands of people celebrated peacefully while watching playoff games on a giant screen in her community last year and there's no reason not to repeat the outdoor event if the Canucks advance to the final.

The comments come just weeks after officials in Vancouver announced they will hold block parties and community-centre events and work with police to stop fans from bringing alcohol downtown to avoid a repeat of last year's riot.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/09/vancouver_canucks_playoffs_surrey/

It was already announced before the start of the playoffs that there wasn't going to be any viewing spots downtown for the playoffs this year! No Fun City!

But Surrey on the other hand has said if they make it to the Finals again they will have the same viewing spots up, they had up last year!

The rioters ruined a great thing for everyone. As a result, I don't think we will have large outdoor viewing gatherings around Vancouver again.

It is too bad... just when vancouver was taking positive steps forward to being more fun, this happens and we take another step back.

For those that don't know.. 82% of RIOTERS weren't even from the city, but they had to ruin it for everyone that is a resident of this awesome city. I blame them. Let Surrey have their outdoor viewing, and let those people destroy the city.

If the Canucks pull tonight's game out, and force a game 6, which they win to force game 7, which they win, and then they dispatch of the Preds and Blues/Yotes, then you're going to have some massive crowds downtown and the city will have to do something. They're not going to talk about it publicly yet but you can bet they're aware that something will have to happen. My completely random guess is opening BC Place

I highly doubt they'll do the viewings on the streets... but I do hope that the City doesn't completely give up on celebrations all together. We've held the Olympics, fireworks etc and they've been successful. I think the blame goes both way-- on the rioters as well as the police situation. Presence was a joke and the security/screeners were way outmanned. Where ever they were looking through the bags for alcohol, I saw so many people get through or get overlooked simply because there were too many people moving in and not enough people to look through the bags.

Anyways, I like this idea of opening BC place. I don't know why they didn't do it last year, but hopefully they're looking into that as a possible option.

But as another poster said, lets not jump ahead so fast. ;)

]

Another idea worth pursuing, says Gauthier, would be gathering fans in a controlled environment at B.C.'s largest stadium - the newly refurbished B.C. Place.

‘B.C. Place wasn't available last year, but it is this year," said Gauthier. "You can control the entry of alcohol, you can control the consumption of alcohol."

Gauthier, who's been involved in the city's planning process, said he believes a compromise can be reached so events are held that don't spell trouble.

"We are supportive of celebrations, we are supportive of having them downtown, but not on the same scale and in the same format as last year," he added.

"We think that multiple locations will be a better approach."

City councillor George Affleck said he'll only vote for a party if the owners of the (highly profitable) Vancouver Canucks pitch in.

"Otherwise I don't think the city should pay for events on its own," he said. "I'm not privy to what's going on. If they're just starting to plan now, they're in trouble."

http://www2.canada.c...html?id=6267465

I highly doubt they'll do the viewings on the streets... but I do hope that the City doesn't completely give up on celebrations all together. We've held the Olympics, fireworks etc and they've been successful. I think the blame goes both way-- on the rioters as well as the police situation. Presence was a joke and the security/screeners were way outmanned. Where ever they were looking through the bags for alcohol, I saw so many people get through or get overlooked simply because there were too many people moving in and not enough people to look through the bags.

Anyways, I like this idea of opening BC place. I don't know why they didn't do it last year, but hopefully they're looking into that as a possible option.

But as another poster said, lets not jump ahead so fast. ;)

Guest The Brown Burrows

For those that don't know.. 82% of RIOTERS weren't even from the city, but they had to ruin it for everyone that is a resident of this awesome city. I blame them. Let Surrey have their outdoor viewing, and let those people destroy the city.

Can you guys give it up??? Sound like cry babies goin on n on about this. Theres so many ways you can enjoy the game. Did you not learn your lesson? Large crowds attract party animals and thugs??? Get over it, have people over at your place or go to a pub etc

Archived