The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta Election, April 23

DonLever

Tomorrow is Alberta Election day. It has turn out ot a very exciting race between two right wing parties, the Wild Rose part and the Progressive Conservatives.

Will the upstart Wild Rose led by Danielle Smith defeat the Tories led by Alison Redford? If so, that would be a major change since the PCs have been in power for more than 40 years.

The Wild Rose are leading in the polls but some of its people running have made racist and homophobic comments which has been seized on by the other parties to say that the WR are right wing extremists.

The Liberal Party may be wiped out as some people are voting strategicly to keep the WR out. Even though the left don't like the PCs, some will vote for the PCs to keep the WR out.

It seems like only the Alberta NDP would be considered left in Alberta. The Alberta Liberals seem to be about as left as the BC Liberals but its all relative I guess.

Although I don't like the social conservatism of the Wildrose, I like how there is finally a challenge. Its not good for democracy with a such a long unchallenged rule of a single party.

Well, the polls are wrong again. The expected Wild Rose victory did not arrive. The PCs win again with 60 seats, the WR with only 19 seats, Liberals 4, NDP 4.

That means the PC will have the longest reign in Canadian History with another 4 years. That mean 45 years in power for one party when the next term ends.

Well, the polls are wrong again. The expected Wild Rose victory did not arrive. The PCs win again with 60 seats, the WR with only 19 seats, Liberals 4, NDP 4.

That means the PC will have the longest reign in Canadian History with another 4 years. That mean 45 years in power for one party when the next term ends.

I don't think you realize that they went from 4 seats to 17. And the four seats kinda came out of nowhere.

They failed at the polls, but you can't deny the fact that the party has gone from the fringes (at least in the legislative assembly) to becoming the opposition.

If I were Smith, I would be pissed off that those two idiot candidates who made the gaffes. One was a bigot preacher who said gays will burn in hell and the other was a dumbass who said he has an advantage because he is white.

You haven't lived in AB then. They were playing to the popular mindset. Perhaps things have changed in the last 30 years since I was there(doubtful). More likely there has been a huge migration to the province adding in some more intelligent tolerent thinking to the populace.

Its not too surprising with the differing polls because in the polls, there is also a group of people who are "undecided". The election itself obviously has no such option. The undecided wanted the PCs.

I am just reading further into this election and it turns out Danielle Smith refused to condemn her two dumbass candidates, one of which said gays will burn in hell and other said that he has an advantage because he is white. Its definitely going to cause an image problem and push the people sitting on the fence to the other side. If the leader refused to condemn them or replace them, its going to cause severe damage to the province wide image.

If what I heard on the radio tonight is accurate, then the people of Alberta FAILED tonight. 47% turnout for an election this critical, including 3 senators to be appointed in the next 18 months, is an absolute joke. To all of you who voted, you are TRUE ALBERTANS...to all you who didn't, hang your heads in shame!!

Archived