The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sami Salo's Last Game?

DMO

SAMI'S SWAN SONG? Veteran Canuck defenceman Sami Salo appeared in his 100th playoff game Sunday and, since his contract is up, it may have been his last in a Vancouver uniform. He has no plans to retire. “I'll be playing somewhere, we'll see where,” he said post-game. Asked if he had a sense it might be with the Canucks, he replied: “No. No. There is a lot of time to think about that. We'll see in the summertime.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Game+Within+Game+Kings+convert/6500890/story.html#ixzz1sptF66o

I wonder what that response means or if it's taken out of context. Does it mean he doesn't know whether to come back to the Canucks?

I think Salo is just rolling the one year deals, in the hopes the team can continue to compete for the cup, and drop out if it goes downhill. I doubt he'd move anywhere, Vancouver is him and his family's home and he's not exactly early in his career to make moving worthwhile.

All the best, here's hoping for next year!

I don't think Salo will be back with the Canucks. Obviously he would re sign here for less money but I feel the Canucks need to get tougher and meaner all over their lineup and especially on the backend.

I think Salo will leave as UFA in the summer. The Canucks will go in a different direction.

I think he can give her one more season, the team should just give him a couple road trips off through out the season to keep him healthy and assure he doesn't get fatigued, great 6 or 7th dman when playoffs come, but I sure hope mike gillis brings in a true number 1 dman to log 30 mins a game and keep our bottom pairing to 10 mins a game or so

I hope Salo comes back. He's a real calming influence on Edler and he's still got that wicked shot from the point. I actually have to give AV credit this year as I think the way he used Salo helped him have one of the healthiest seasons of his career. I'd prefer him in the top 6 over Gragnani or Rome.

I don't know that he will sign another contract for that little... if MG gets him for $2 million again he is a genius.

He could probably get double that on the open market and maybe even get a multi-year contract which MG isn't going to give him. He showed he can stay healthy this year and showed that he is still our best all around defenceman when he is healthy.

Maybe he just won't want to move his family out of Vancouver for the sake of extra cash at the end of his career... then again, it will be his last chance to cash in for the rest of his life so a couple of extra million could look pretty nice.

He is a lot bigger and stronger than people give him credit for, he just doesn't lay out the big hits like we need someone on defence doing. Edler is supposed to be doing that, as is Bieksa.

Archived