The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which One Of These Suvs Is Best To Get?

Bingo Chili

Looking to buy a used suv.

2007 Jeep Patriot - 61,000 kms, $10,800 cad

2007 Chevrolet Equinox -77,000 kms, $10,000

2006 Honda CRV - 61,000 kms; $14,000

which one is very reliable and best overall and how low do you think I can haggle to price down to?

And anyone own any of these suvs? How's the vehicle based on your personal experience?

I used to own a business that researched vehicles and helped people find what they want. My advice: Stay clear of the Jeep...the best small SUV's on the market are the Honda CRV, the Totyota RAV4, the Hyundai Sante Fe, the Kia Sorento and believe it or not the Ford Escape (and its twin the Mazda Tribute...they're the same vehicle). Expand your search area (don't be afraid to travel to get the best vehicle). Only buy a 1 user vehicle (from 1st owner or at dealer from original owner trade-in). Do your research (Carfax) and as for sources use Canada Trader, Buy and Sell and my new personal fav...Kijiji. Also use the Black Book site to help haggle down the price.

My wife and I bought a new Highlander last year, and did a lot of research before getting one.

In consumer reports, Jeep is the most poorly rated SUV brand...and I think Patriot was one of their lowest rated models. Also, up until a few years ago, Equinox had one of the worst maintenance records of almost any vehicle reviewed. So I'd definitly recommend the Honda. There's a good chance that the owners of the Equinox and Jeep are starting to run into problems, and are sick of spending money on them.

Of course, that's still a possibility with the Honda, and it costs quite a bit more too. What is your aim with this vehicle? Are you planning on driving it until it dies? Or is there a small chance that after a few years you may re-sell?

Also, if small things that don't affect the driving ability go wrong (rattling glove box, window stops working, etc.) do you not care, or will that drive you crazy?

I used to own a business that researched vehicles and helped people find what they want. My advice: Stay clear of the Jeep...the best small SUV's on the market are the Honda CRV, the Totyota RAV4, the Hyundai Sante Fe, the Kia Sorento and believe it or not the Ford Escape (and its twin the Mazda Tribute...they're the same vehicle). Expand your search area (don't be afraid to travel to get the best vehicle). Only buy a 1 user vehicle (from 1st owner or at dealer from original owner trade-in). Do your research (Carfax) and as for sources use Canada Trader, Buy and Sell and my new personal fav...Kijiji. Also use the Black Book site to help haggle down the price.

which one is very reliable and best overall and how low do you think I can haggle to price down to?

And anyone own any of these suvs? How's the vehicle based on your personal experience?

Archived