The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plan For Next Year?

westvandude

There are two parts to this question: 1) the team's plan, 2) your plan

1) Team's Plan:

The past two seasons have proven that it doesn't matter if you're the most dominating team in the league or just barely hanging on to the last playoff spot, as long as you're in good shape for the playoffs (good momentum, no major injuries, etc). So based on this, I think the team should simply rest the main guys for half of the season, (maybe at the beginning, give one/two week rests to different guys at a time, and towards the end, depending on how likely we are to make the playoffs, we can rest guys more/less.. with the exception of the last few weeks where we make everyone play like it's playoff hockey to get them into the mindset). Screw NHL/TV stations that want you to pretend like regular season matters so they get more viewers... if your goal is the cup, you have to do everything you possibly can to win the cup.

There is no point trying your best (and in the process, tiring yourself and risking injuries) during the regular season if you can make the playoffs... since there is next to no advantage what your seed is (sometimes it's even more advantageous to finish a lower seed like the Hawks vs. the Wings this year)

2) Your Plan?

I personally will NOT be following the team as religiously as I was the past 10 years during the REGULAR season, simply because now that the Canucks are making the playoffs year after year, there is no point wasting time, energy and money on 82 games that the league has decided has almost no importance in winning the cup.

When it's playoffs time again, I'll start following it like old times. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the games here and there, in social settings... no more PVRing the games and watching them alone later to analyze their play, then listen to team 1040, discuss intensely with friends / co-workers / online.

The current structure of the league where your standing at the end of the regular season doesn't really matter as long as you're in the playoffs makes the nhl lose fan like me (who have followed soccer in the past and know how it feels to watch meaningful regular season games) during the regular season. Good job NHL!

I m afraid I must disagree with you on both points.

First of all, sitting players for those lengths of time wouldn't allow them to get into any kind of routine and cause their play to suffer. I don t think the players themselves would have issues with that kind of schedule. All NHL players want to be the man depended on to create a winner.

Secondly, fans go to games to watch the best players. If the best are sitting all the time, why go watch? This leads to my next point. If no one supports the team on a regular basis, Vancouver won't have a team at all.

Yes, this year ended in disappointment, but not supporting the team only hurts everyone. Hope you change your mind.

Cheers

Thanks for the contribution.. so basically if you're not MG you shouldn't be giving your opinion on what the team should do? That pretty much defeats the purpose of 80% of the discussions that happen here!Also, the 2nd part of the question was, what is YOUR plan for next year? Just curious what everyone's reaction has been, and if there are others who feel the same way as I do. No need to troll.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Pahlsson - Hansen

Bitz - Lappiere - Sign Some big POS that can fight and play hockey.

Edler - Whoever we trade Luongo for

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Rome

Sign another D man besides Alberts

Schneider

Lack

We had bad luck with the Duncan Keith hit.

Move Lu for a #1/2 D man.

Trade for Torres.

Come back harder next season.

Sorry op but you don't watch the reg season, but want to throw ideas around about what the team should do? The whole idea of watching the reg season and teams outside ours is to have a better understanding what we can do. Take me for example. I watched this whole season and not just the Canucks. I saw a team that powered into the trade deadline and whimpered out after. That tells me where we went wrong. It also tells me where we can right the wrong that was made.

Well tell me if I am a bandwaggon fan:

- I've been following the canucks since the 2002-2003 season (got really into it during the Blues and Wild series)

- I've watched about 80% of their games THROUGHOUT these past 10 years, with this past year being close to 100%

- I've been to at least a couple of games per season, including a few away games for the years I wasn't living in Vancouver (including flying to Chicago for an a game 5 two years ago)

- I own 2 canucks jersey's... a old school Lindon and a newer Kessler one

So no, I'm not a bandwaggon fan... i'm just disheartened after watching a team that wasn't deserving to win a cup for 8 years, and watch it not win it when it WAS deserving (in my opinion). That makes me feel like what's the point of working hard to do well in the regular season, when playoffs start with a clean sheet.

Guest gumballthechewy

Thanks for the contribution.. so basically if you're not MG you shouldn't be giving your opinion on what the team should do? That pretty much defeats the purpose of 80% of the discussions that happen here!Also, the 2nd part of the question was, what is YOUR plan for next year? Just curious what everyone's reaction has been, and if there are others who feel the same way as I do. No need to troll.

Well tell me if I am a bandwaggon fan:

- I've been following the canucks since the 2002-2003 season (got really into it during the Blues and Wild series)

- I've watched about 80% of their games THROUGHOUT these past 10 years, with this past year being close to 100%

- I've been to at least a couple of games per season, including a few away games for the years I wasn't living in Vancouver (including flying to Chicago for an a game 5 two years ago)

- I own 2 canucks jersey's... a old school Lindon and a newer Kessler one

So no, I'm not a bandwaggon fan... i'm just disheartened after watching a team that wasn't deserving to win a cup for 8 years, and watch it not win it when it WAS deserving (in my opinion). That makes me feel like what's the point of working hard to do well in the regular season, when playoffs start with a clean sheet.

I've been watching and following the team religiously since 1971. Either support your team or don't. Honestly your original post sounds a bit whiny as well as fairly ridiculous.

I have no doubt you are a good fan that made the mistake of posting when they were still not thinking clearly about the loss.

Archived