The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovechkin Has Worn Out His Welcome, Going On 2 Years Now

Before you jump all over me, let's just keep in mind that even the great Wayne Gretzky got traded.

So now, seeing as Ovechkin is not happy with Dale Hunter over getting less ice time http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394098 ....

If the Bruins oust the Capitals in the first round, I think that the Caps fan base will be ready to move on from Ovechkin

Call me crazy, but this is a trade that would make sense for both teams

Luongo + Kesler

for

Ovechkin

Kesler would be a great fit in Washington. A US player who could perhaps even be allowed to play on the wing with a great setup man like Backstrom.

As good as Holtby has been for the Caps, he is a rookie that has what, 20 games NHL experience?

Luongo would be given the keys to the starter role for the next couple of years, and would make the Caps the no. 3 seed in the weak Atlantic division for years to come.

On our end, we take on a lot of risk because of the 8 years left on the Ovechkin deal, however money has never been an issue with the Canucks and it would be worth the potential reward.

We would finally get the shooter that we need on our PP, and a game breaker.

it would be insane to have Ovie on the team on the first line, but his hefty long-term salary, high cap hit and me-first attitude don't really help the team (I don't mean me-first as in demanding ice time as in the playoffs he was willing to take reduced minutes but stuff like his stealing the puck from his teammates to score himself doesn't sit well. Also, this team will have no scoring depth whatsoever, and whatever cap space freed up in moving Lu and Kesler will basically be eaten up by Great 8's contract.

Twins - Ovie ($6.1x2 + $9.538) = $21.938 on the first line! WAY too much money eaten up on one line

Higgins - (Play making center) - Booth (DB will likely have to be moved to have any money to add offense; this team would be better off keeping him and his energy and just adding a play maker to the 2nd line)

Burrows - Pahlsson - Hansen

Manny - Lapierre - Bitz

Further, Washington has Neuvirth and Holtby, and we can still use a 2nd line center (albeit one who struggled this past season) to complement Hank and Danny's finesse/ passing game on the power play, which is this team's bread and butter.

I'd rather sign Semin than trade both of them. Alex28 has an elite shot, good moves, actually passes (33A, 21G this season) and would be a game-breaker. If he'll have consistency and less attitude issues (as common with Russian players it seems) Semin could be good to add (either him or Whitney who's another proven winner).

Before you jump all over me, let's just keep in mind that even the great Wayne Gretzky got traded.

So now, seeing as Ovechkin is not happy with Dale Hunter over getting less ice time http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394098 ....

If the Bruins oust the Capitals in the first round, I think that the Caps fan base will be ready to move on from Ovechkin

Call me crazy, but this is a trade that would make sense for both teams

Luongo + Kesler

for

Ovechkin

Kesler would be a great fit in Washington. A US player who could perhaps even be allowed to play on the wing with a great setup man like Backstrom.

As good as Holtby has been for the Caps, he is a rookie that has what, 20 games NHL experience?

Luongo would be given the keys to the starter role for the next couple of years, and would make the Caps the no. 3 seed in the weak Atlantic division for years to come.

On our end, we take on a lot of risk because of the 8 years left on the Ovechkin deal, however money has never been an issue with the Canucks and it would be worth the potential reward.

We would finally get the shooter that we need on our PP, and a game breaker.

O...M...G...KES Is LOCKED DOWN!!!!!!!! His has an NTC, so does Bieksa, Twins, Manny, and Hammer!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP BEING IDIOTS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! You want to trade our top forward for someone whos lazy, just like what EDLER IS BEAST said. Wow people...just wow... :picard:

O...M...G...KES Is LOCKED DOWN!!!!!!!! His has an NTC, so does Bieksa, Twins, Manny, and Hammer!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP BEING IDIOTS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! You want to trade our top forward for someone whos lazy, just like what EDLER IS BEAST said. Wow people...just wow... :picard:

Ooo, okay... so Lu will be the better man and waive his NTC if asked to go to Washington and be a backup to Holtby who they will surely sign no matter how the playoffs end? In that case he may as way stay here and be a backup to Schneider, no?

I'll call you crazy, since you asked...

I was originally thinking of a Lou for Green trade. However now with HOltby and Neuvirth, I doubt they want to take a long term goalie. They'll let those two guys split time next year.

If any of you are serious in saying that you wouldn't take Ovechkin on this team...you are absolutely insane

Tebow, I think that Kesler has even less importance on the Canucks then Richards did on the Flyers.

He was the main guy besides Pronger, so I think you brought up a great example of a franchise that chose to shake up their team in a major way.

Tebow, very well stated argument! It will be interesting to see how far Philly goes this year after trading Richards for youth. Obviously Schenn and Simmonds were great in round 1. If we van get two guys like that for Kesler, a similar trade for the Canucks may make sense.

Archived