The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo For Rick Nash

Assuming TB and Toronto bow out due to Luongo's contract or low ball offers for Luongo, would Columbus agree to a Rick Nash for Luongo swap? Many think Luongo's contract is a deterrent due to its length but he is still a great goalie. Columbus also needs a goalie badly, and they want to get rid of Nash but need proven players and star players in return.

So, with Nash's salary being 7.8 million and needing defense and a goalie, I'd say:

To Columbus:

Ballard

Luongo

Raymond

2nd rnd pick

To Van:

Rick Nash

We give them a two way young forward, top 4 defense, a star goalie and a pick to get Rick Nash. This is probably the last resort the Canucks go to, if they can't find any teams that could give a good return for Bobby Lu or if they want to dump their crap players on us like TO dumping Komisarek. CBJ GM is also not a smart person, so am sure MG could take advantage of him like Holmgren.

In this scenario, we dump some salary to match Nash's cap hit, while getting that big power forward type of player for Kesler. Fix the defense by signing a cheap player this off-season like Schultz.

After the trade:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Nash-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen

Kassian-Lappiere-Volpatti/Bitz

Edler-Schultz

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Salo-Tanev

Gragnani

Rome

Schneider

Lack

We get rid of 6.7 million in EXCESS salary not including Luongo's 5.2 million/year.

Signing Schneider to a 3.5-4 million contract will also save us 1.2 million, therefore allowing us the ability to afford Nash's humongous 7.8 million/year contract. Schultz would only cost us a maximum of 1.3 million/year.

Still not really happy about the defense but it should be a last resort thing for Gillis. I doubt CBJ can even move Nash without taking salary dump contracts like Raymond and Ballard.

That second line scares me in a bad way. All shooters. We saw how that worked out this year without a passer. Booth is basically a poor man's Rick Nash, so I'd rather keep Kes and Booth and just find someone to distrubute the puck to them for a much cheaper price.

Besides, Nash and Luongo have NTCs, and I doubt either of them would approve the trade. Just look at the teams that Nash ok'ed this past trade deadline. And if you were Luongo, would you really want to go to Columbus of all places?

That second line scares me in a bad way. All shooters. We saw how that worked out this year without a passer. Booth is basically a poor man's Rick Nash, so I'd rather keep Kes and Booth and just find someone to distrubute the puck to them for a much cheaper price.

Besides, Nash and Luongo have NTCs, and I doubt either of them would approve the trade. Just look at the teams that Nash ok'ed this past trade deadline. And if you were Luongo, would you really want to go to Columbus of all places?

This would be a dreamy scenario, but, I doubt Columbus would want it, to be honest. First of all, I do think Luongo would be exactly what they need--a strong, stable force in net. In that respect, it would be similar to when Luo came to Vancouver in '06-'07, although we were in a better position then. Having said that, such a trade would depend on Luongo wanting to go to Columbus, as I suspect he will provide a list to MG of team's he would like to go to. I can't imagine, at age 33, that Luongo wants to start over with a struggling franchise. His window is closing and he likely wants to win now.

Also, I think Columbus can get a lot more for Nash, especially considering some of the deals they reportedly turned down for him. If I were them, I'd be trying to get younger, and add future stars. I suspect Nash will be traded for a stable full of young stars, probably to NYR, or maybe Toronto

*edit* I see what you are saying about Luongo wanting to be traded rather than staying and being a backup, but, I still can't see him accepting a trade to Columbus, although, perhaps if they are able to make a few big free agent acquisitions....

The number of teams that want Luongo might be limited due to his contract length. I don't know the market yet, but if there is a lot of teams looking for his service, then it would be easy to trade him to any team he wants. If there is only one team, Columbus that wants him, what choice would Bobby Lu have?

I don't like Nash's contract AT ALL but this is a last resort thing. I would do TB 1st round 2012 + Connolly for Luongo in a heart beat over this trade proposal. I think our major weakness is defense, but if we could upgrade the 2nd line with another big body that can finish, I say why not. Only downside is that Nash's contract length and average salary per year.

This would be a dreamy scenario, but, I doubt Columbus would want it, to be honest. First of all, I do think Luongo would be exactly what they need--a strong, stable force in net. In that respect, it would be similar to when Luo came to Vancouver in '06-'07, although we were in a better position then. Having said that, such a trade would depend on Luongo wanting to go to Columbus, as I suspect he will provide a list to MG of team's he would like to go to. I can't imagine, at age 33, that Luongo wants to start over with a struggling franchise. His window is closing and he likely wants to win now.

Also, I think Columbus can get a lot more for Nash, especially considering some of the deals they reportedly turned down for him. If I were them, I'd be trying to get younger, and add future stars. I suspect Nash will be traded for a stable full of young stars, probably to NYR, or maybe Toronto

*edit* I see what you are saying about Luongo wanting to be traded rather than staying and being a backup, but, I still can't see him accepting a trade to Columbus, although, perhaps if they are able to make a few big free agent acquisitions....

I don't like Nash's contract AT ALL but this is a last resort thing. I would do TB 1st round 2012 + Connolly for Luongo in a heart beat over this trade proposal. I think our major weakness is defense, but if we could upgrade the 2nd line with another big body that can finish, I say why not. Only downside is that Nash's contract length and average salary per year.

The number of teams that want Luongo might be limited due to his contract length. I don't know the market yet, but if there is a lot of teams looking for his service, then it would be easy to trade him to any team he wants. If there is only one team, Columbus that wants him, what choice would Bobby Lu have?

Archived