The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Skill Vs. Grit

CanadianRugby

When your scoring dries up you can always still be physical. Dustin Brown for LA, Neil for Sens, Torres for us last year.. players like this can swing a game around with a single hit. Lets not forget Torres injured Joe Thortons shoulder last year. Thorton was playing well until that hit. Now all our hitters are not terribly effective.

Lapierre

Hansen

Ballard

Hamhuis

Edler

Kesler (injury prone)

Out of our hitters only one, Edler, throws big hits with any consistency. People have been saying it for years. Will we finally become more physical this offseason? At least add someone that will stand up for their teammates. Unless he puts on a ton of muscle in the offseason, learns how to hit and fight, then Kassian isn't the answer . Burrows was the only one that went after Keith after that dirty hit. That can't happen next year.

People get confused about grit and toughness as being some tough 3rd and 4th liner that grinds it out. Its NOT. The good gritty team that does well, has skill integrated into grit, and grit integrated into skill. They have to be molded into the player personnel. A team is not tough, or gritty, when they have their bottom 2 lines being a bunch of plugs and thugs who play less than 6-8 minutes, while their top 2 lines are very skilled, but soft. That's not grit, that's not tough.

You get better at both by getting/drafting/signing players that have skill and grit molded into the player himself. Guys like Getzlaf, like Perry, like Franzen, like Dustin Brown, like Shane Doan, like David Backes, like Lucic, like Ovechkin, like Brooks Laich, all those guys have skill and grit molded into one package. These are the players that will enhance a team in both areas, both skill and grit.

When your scoring dries up you can always still be physical. Dustin Brown for LA, Neil for Sens, Torres for us last year.. players like this can swing a game around with a single hit. Lets not forget Torres injured Joe Thortons shoulder last year. Thorton was playing well until that hit. Now all our hitters are not terribly effective.

Lapierre

Hansen

Ballard

Hamhuis

Edler

Kesler (injury prone)

Out of our hitters only one, Edler, throws big hits with any consistency. People have been saying it for years. Will we finally become more physical this offseason? At least add someone that will stand up for their teammates. Unless he puts on a ton of muscle in the offseason, learns how to hit and fight, then Kassian isn't the answer . Burrows was the only one that went after Keith after that dirty hit. That can't happen next year.

Here are our top hitters from the playoffs:

Lapierre 20

Edler 15

Booth 12

Hamhuis 11

Pahlsson 11

Bieksa 10

Burrows 10

Higgins 10

Kesler 10

And the regular season:

Lapierre 244

Bieksa 159

Edler 143

Pahlsson 123

Hansen 118

Weise 118

Kesler 108

Hamhuis 104

Alberts 91

They aren't all soft, or only making small hits: Rome on Horton (if it wasn't late, was still huge), Higgins on Chara, Bieksa on Brown, Booth on Doughty, etc. Dustin Brown certainly doesn't hit like a wrecking ball every time, and neither does any other hitter in the league. We have size in Kassian not even on that list due the amount of games, plus players like Volpatti, Bitz and Pinizzotto who were taken out of the lineup by injuries early on.

You can add all the grit you want on the 3rd and 4th lines that's not going to significantly change this team or make them harder to play against. This team desperately needs that grit spread throughout the lineup which is pretty hard to do with the guys we got... Burrows provides a bit of grit but lets not kid ourselves he's not punishing anyone out there. Ideal situation would be for a guy like Kassian to be ready to play in the top six with the Sedins next season, altho i think that unrealistic.

Here are our top hitters from the playoffs:

Lapierre 20

Edler 15

Booth 12

Hamhuis 11

Pahlsson 11

Bieksa 10

Burrows 10

Higgins 10

Kesler 10

And the regular season:

Lapierre 244

Bieksa 159

Edler 143

Pahlsson 123

Hansen 118

Weise 118

Kesler 108

Hamhuis 104

Alberts 91

They aren't all soft, or only making small hits: Rome on Horton (if it wasn't late, was still huge), Higgins on Chara, Bieksa on Brown, Booth on Doughty, etc. Dustin Brown certainly doesn't hit like a wrecking ball every time, and neither does any other hitter in the league. We have size in Kassian not even on that list due the amount of games, plus players like Volpatti, Bitz and Pinizzotto who were taken out of the lineup by injuries early on.

When I think of a combo of skill and grit one guy that you missed on your list was Claude Giroux. How could you forget the best player in the league? lol But seriously, when I see what he is doing for Philly it reminds me of what Kesler did for us versus Preds last year. I love Kesler to death but he has seemed to always have had some sort of physical ailment that isnt bad enough to take him out of the lineup. But bad enough to render him offensivley useless. Every offseason its something with him. With his skill set he could easilly be like Claude but will we ever see it? I fuggen hope so. We have enough grit just need more capitilization of scoring chances.

Lapierre

Hansen

Ballard

Hamhuis

Edler

Kesler (injury prone)

People get confused about grit and toughness as being some tough 3rd and 4th liner that grinds it out. Its NOT. The good gritty team that does well, has skill integrated into grit, and grit integrated into skill. They have to be molded into the player personnel. A team is not tough, or gritty, when they have their bottom 2 lines being a bunch of plugs and thugs who play less than 6-8 minutes, while their top 2 lines are very skilled, but soft. That's not grit, that's not tough.

You get better at both by getting/drafting/signing players that have skill and grit molded into the player himself. Guys like Getzlaf, like Perry, like Franzen, like Dustin Brown, like Shane Doan, like David Backes, like Lucic, like Ovechkin, like Brooks Laich, all those guys have skill and grit molded into one package. These are the players that will enhance a team in both areas, both skill and grit.

When I think of a combo of skill and grit one guy that you missed on your list was Claude Giroux. How could you forget the best player in the league? lol But seriously, when I see what he is doing for Philly it reminds me of what Kesler did for us versus Preds last year. I love Kesler to death but he has seemed to always have had some sort of physical ailment that isnt bad enough to take him out of the lineup. But bad enough to render him offensivley useless. Every offseason its something with him. With his skill set he could easilly be like Claude but will we ever see it? I fuggen hope so. We have enough grit just need more capitilization of scoring chances.

I don't know what you guys are talking about but Canucks have never had a player who can score on the rush these years. Kesler did it last year but not this year. Hodgson would have been nice but he got traded, so is grabner. Raymond can't score. We really need someone who can aim. Canucks don't even have offensive d man outside of bieksa and edler.

Forget grinders. You can teach a player to hit but not score.

Archived