The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo That Bad? Or Cory Just That Good?

DarkGhost

Cory Schneider is just that good.

Let's isolate Luongo for a second and pretend the team doesn't have Schneider. Luongo ended this season with a 31-14-8 record, a 2.41 GAA and .919 Save % with 5 shutouts. In what world is that bad? I know most people here aren't saying Luongo is bad, but sometimes I myself realize I have to take a step back and look at Luongo, just Luongo without Schneider in the equation because when you're comparing against Cory Schneider then stats like Luongo's are going to seem sub par.

Just last year Luongo was a Vezina nominee and led the league in wins while putting up a sparkling 2.11 GAA and .928 Save % and had 4 shutouts. In his WORST season with the Canucks statistically he had a 2.57 GAA, .913 Save% and 4 shutouts. His career playoff stats with the Canucks (which is his entire career playoff stats because he never saw postseason hockey before coming to the Canucks)? A 32-29 record with a 2.53 GAA, .916 Save % and 5 shutouts. This is what you would call a quality body of work. He may have cost this team dearly at key points in the playoffs, that can't be denied, but nobody can question his abilities and his status as an elite goalie in this league. It bugs me when people call him a crappy goalie, or overrated, because that couldn't be more false.

This is a salary cap world. Bang for the buck is absolutely the most important factor for a team's success. Luongo hasn't been playing like a $5.3 mil goalie. Schneider, on the other hand has been playing better than that. If you've got a #1 goalie next year who puts up numbers like Schneider's, and you're only paying him $2.5-$3 mil...that gives you a huge advantage over most other teams in the league. In short, Luongo costs too much and gives too little back, and its the exact opposite for Schneider.

Luongo is a great goalie, but Schneider is a younger, cheaper alternative. Schneider is set to be a great goalie and we have to keep him. Vancouver drafted him, groomed him, mentored him, and have help make him the player he is. How can we just trad a "franchise" player of that caliber away? That and I have a Schneider signed jersey, so we have to keep him. :lol:

The fact Gillis is going to be able to possibly move Luongo's contract is huge. Signing Luongo that long was a HUGE mistake.

Personally I think Schneider is going to be better than Luongo over his career.

A direct response is that: Schneider is preferred, because he can play almost at the same level as does Luongo, and at a cheaper price.

To elaborate on this, Schneider is able to make more and effective saves nowadays, because he employs a butterfly style that is much more bent in angle than Luongo's, allowing him to get down on his pads much faster and much longer. That way, he does not have to "flop", or fall forwards on his pads. Luongo employs a butterfly style that is more upright, when he is standing, but less upright when he actually falls down. When he is about to make a fast, on-ice transition, he often has difficulty moving from side to side, allowing him to "flop", or fall forwards to make such saves in a rapid fashion. Schneider's style gives Vancouver fans, as well as Vancouver players confidence, due to the fact that he is able to control rebounds more effectively.

Now, this is not to say Roberto Luongo is, therefore, an incompetent goaltender. As a matter of fact, Luongo used to employ Schneider's effective style of goaltending, which allowed him to collect wins and shutouts as a Canuck, hence the Reign of Luongo. Due to an unforeseen, mysterious circumstances, resulting in his diminishing goaltending skills(Truth is that he does not play better than when he did between 2006 and 2010.), he adopted much slower on-ice transition skills.

A direct response is that: Schneider is preferred, because he can play almost at the same level as does Luongo, and at a cheaper price.

To elaborate on this, Schneider is able to make more and effective saves nowadays, because he employs a butterfly style that is much more bent in angle than Luongo's, allowing him to get down on his pads much faster and much longer. That way, he does not have to "flop", or fall forwards on his pads. Luongo employs a butterfly style that is more upright, when he is standing, but less upright when he actually falls down. When he is about to make a fast, on-ice transition, he often has difficulty moving from side to side, allowing him to "flop", or fall forwards to make such saves in a rapid fashion. Schneider's style gives Vancouver fans, as well as Vancouver players confidence, due to the fact that he is able to control rebounds more effectively.

Now, this is not to say Roberto Luongo is, therefore, an incompetent goaltender. As a matter of fact, Luongo used to employ Schneider's effective style of goaltending, which allowed him to collect wins and shutouts as a Canuck, hence the Reign of Luongo. Due to an unforeseen, mysterious circumstances, resulting in his diminishing goaltending skills(Truth is that he does not play better than when he did between 2006 and 2010.), he adopted much slower on-ice transition skills.

Luongo is talented and streaky, sometimes hes hot and posts back to back shutouts, sometimes hes cold and posts back to back 8 goal games.

Schneider skilled and is the final word in consistency. You can always count on him to keep you in a game.

The fact of the matter is that consistency is the name of the game in goaltending now. If you can sign a goaltender who you can count on always keeping your team in the game, then you don't have to worry about questionable goaltending like some teams have. You can then focus on your offense and know that if you can score 3 goals a game, not only will you make the playoffs, but you'll have a shot at the cup.

We're hooped no matter what.

Scenario 1: Schneider goes, Lou stays. Fans ride him into the ground.

Scenario 2: Schneider stays, Lou goes. After adjusting to carrying a full season load, Cory shows signs of being human. In a couple years, fans start to ride him into the ground. His agent is already only too aware of this, as is Schneids, who clearly had enough when he stood up and defended Lou after the harsh criticism he received this year.

I am highly amused by all the people claiming that Cory will be cheaper. He will command just as much money as Luongo did on the annual cap hit. Even if he signs at a discounted rate this year to cover him for his RFA status, once he gets close to UFA, he will be a $6mil goalie easy with his numbers. It's pretty clear that Schneider is an excellent goalie, but we don't know how he will be long term. He simply doesn't have a long enough resume to be a proven commodity. Look what happened when Chicago put all their eggs in Corey Crawford's basket. Or Toronto with Reimer. It can go either way.

Lu got a horrendously bad rap with the media and fanbase microscope scrutinizing his every move and words. Through his good and bad, Lu has shown to be one of the best ever, and really was getting better each year. For all of what people claim to be his slow starts and regressions each season, if one were to have paid more careful attention he was adjusting to new styles and forms he was being coached. One does not simply adjust to a new mindset in net over night; it takes time. After Ian Clark was shown the door by Gillis, Rollie Melanson's adjustments to Luongo's game resulted in several changes to the way he played in order to better suit him to the team system in front of him. Once that style was exposed, his playing style was changed again. Luongo is a huge student of the game, and understood that he needed to evolve his style in order to stay on top. Nobody ever questions why so many other goalies appear to be flash in the pans, but much of that is because their coaching and style doesn't demand them to change in order to adapt to the evolving game in front of them. Luongo did just that in order to maintain his level of excellence, yet people lambasted him for slumping or mailing it in.

I just think that we as fans here in Vancouver don't deserve the calibre of goalie and professional that Luongo is. After years of being a goalie graveyard, we get a potential future HOF'er who helped brought the team to elite status, who shattered the records of our beloved and deified Kirk McLean (who, in point of fact, wasn't really that great a goalie,) yet collectively as a fanbase we are running him out of town. This is why we can't have nice things.

I don't see how keeping Schneider in the long term is beneficial to the team. short term like 1-2 yrs it might give them temporary cap relief as i don't see Schneider demanding the big bux, but what happens after that? it's more than likely he'll be asking for upwards of 6-7mil in salary for short term since we'll probably not likely sign another life time contract. All of you are just assuming the salary cap is just going to keep going up. i'm sure the next CBA will address the salary cap issue and the cap will drop back to where it's more manageable for some teams. face it, the possibility of Schneider asking for 6-7mil in a few years time is out there. Are you willing to sign a goaltender for that much regardless of how good he is? a goalie is only as good as the players in front of him. Our window to win is now and the next couple of years. not 3-5 years later when people are past their prime. I rather trade Schneider for a star forward that can perform, try to trade away some of the dead weight contracts on this team and go out and try to sign a Suter. We honestly ain't that far from a cup.. we just need goal scores that is willing to play in the dirty area and grind out goals.

Archived