The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo That Bad? Or Cory Just That Good?

DarkGhost

At times when both goalies are playing at their peak I've thought about this very issue. And I've come to the conclusion that it's like comparing Crosby to Ovechkin. Crosby is like Schneider, in that it seems like he can do no wrong, he exudes confidence and constantly feels like a winner...the team just feels like they can win if he's on the ice. Lu is like Ovechkin, in that he plays the counter to Crosby, the villain that seems to do really well until the end of the movie (like a movie villain of course) when he loses out. Crosby always seems to beat Ovi...just as right now Cory rides in on a white horse, and Lu is the black knight. But the truth is in the end wouldn't you just love to have them both on your team...but alas we can't afford both. So it doesn't matter who is better (I doubt Washington would trade Ovi for Crosby and I doubt Pitts would trade Crosby for Ovi)...problem is one's gonna be gone. Personally I like progress, and progress would be Scneids...the Lu era is over...but it's been a helluva great run!!

For the life of me I don't understand the idiots in this town.Have any of you fools looked at Lous carrer stats.He has an ove 92% save avg in his career.Many of those years in florida where he faced 50 shots per game and still recorded 6-8 shutouts per year. Goalies have bad days but the Canucks defence is highly over rated in terms of defensive talent it is mostly offence. Feed Cory t the wolves like the complacent Canucks have Luongo.Take a look at the scoring chances we give up vs shots on goal ratio.Before you chase the best goalie we've ever had out of town just think how you will feel and bitch and moan if he's gone and we are left with Cory Schneider who has had one 25 game good season and Eddie lack when we could still have a guy who craves to play 75 games per year but has been harnessed back because of fatigue.Really folks it's a team game not a one man show.You idiots know nothing about TEAM and goaltending. You can't judge a goalie soley on a playoff run where the coach changes goalies to shake up a complacent team that bailed because it's physically weak and hasn't the stuff to get there not Lous fault he has single handedly won us more games than we deserved and it wasn't solid team play that got us the Presidents trophy this year it was Lou keeping us under 2 goals per game from the big Boston victory on. Think about it.

For the life of me I don't understand the idiots in this town.Have any of you fools looked at Lous carrer stats.He has an ove 92% save avg in his career.Many of those years in florida where he faced 50 shots per game and still recorded 6-8 shutouts per year. Goalies have bad days but the Canucks defence is highly over rated in terms of defensive talent it is mostly offence. Feed Cory t the wolves like the complacent Canucks have Luongo.Take a look at the scoring chances we give up vs shots on goal ratio.Before you chase the best goalie we've ever had out of town just think how you will feel and bitch and moan if he's gone and we are left with Cory Schneider who has had one 25 game good season and Eddie lack when we could still have a guy who craves to play 75 games per year but has been harnessed back because of fatigue.Really folks it's a team game not a one man show.You idiots know nothing about TEAM and goaltending. You can't judge a goalie soley on a playoff run where the coach changes goalies to shake up a complacent team that bailed because it's physically weak and hasn't the stuff to get there not Lous fault he has single handedly won us more games than we deserved and it wasn't solid team play that got us the Presidents trophy this year it was Lou keeping us under 2 goals per game from the big Boston victory on. Think about it.

700 plus games 4 th lead amongst active goalies but highest number of games played 0.919 % only guy close is Marty Brodeur who has played 1100 plus games and 0.913% nobody else even close Lou has played for crummy crummy teams Florida Islanders and Canucks pre playoff and beginning of AV era with not a lot of talent.Stats don't lie Luongo is one of the best ever so let's not scare him out of town because we need a scape goat blame his team mates not his salary he is worth what he is paid!

I doubt a lot of fans on here even remember what it was like before we got Luongo. Goaltending was a constant problem, a persistent weakness. When Luongo got here it changed everything. We've only missed the playoffs once with him and that's cause he got injured, this is the first time other than that that we've even gone out in the first round. Getting rid of Luongo would be a big mistake, it would be the definition of selling low.

I am highly amused by all the people claiming that Cory will be cheaper. He will command just as much money as Luongo did on the annual cap hit. Even if he signs at a discounted rate this year to cover him for his RFA status, once he gets close to UFA, he will be a $6mil goalie easy with his numbers. It's pretty clear that Schneider is an excellent goalie, but we don't know how he will be long term. He simply doesn't have a long enough resume to be a proven commodity. Look what happened when Chicago put all their eggs in Corey Crawford's basket. Or Toronto with Reimer. It can go either way.

Lu got a horrendously bad rap with the media and fanbase microscope scrutinizing his every move and words. Through his good and bad, Lu has shown to be one of the best ever, and really was getting better each year. For all of what people claim to be his slow starts and regressions each season, if one were to have paid more careful attention he was adjusting to new styles and forms he was being coached. One does not simply adjust to a new mindset in net over night; it takes time. After Ian Clark was shown the door by Gillis, Rollie Melanson's adjustments to Luongo's game resulted in several changes to the way he played in order to better suit him to the team system in front of him. Once that style was exposed, his playing style was changed again. Luongo is a huge student of the game, and understood that he needed to evolve his style in order to stay on top. Nobody ever questions why so many other goalies appear to be flash in the pans, but much of that is because their coaching and style doesn't demand them to change in order to adapt to the evolving game in front of them. Luongo did just that in order to maintain his level of excellence, yet people lambasted him for slumping or mailing it in.

I just think that we as fans here in Vancouver don't deserve the calibre of goalie and professional that Luongo is. After years of being a goalie graveyard, we get a potential future HOF'er who helped brought the team to elite status, who shattered the records of our beloved and deified Kirk McLean (who, in point of fact, wasn't really that great a goalie,) yet collectively as a fanbase we are running him out of town. This is why we can't have nice things.

I don't think many are doubting what Luongo has done for this team but it might be time to move in a different direction.

Cory is 7 years younger, will have a much smaller cap hit, won't have such a long contract (doubt Gillis will make that mistake again), will be cheaper for at least a couple years, and I think most importantly... hasn't had a serious groin injury. I don't think Luongo has been the same since.

Let's put it this way:

If Luongo makes only 1 mistake, Cory trumps him by making none.

By anyone's standards Luongo is an excellent/elite goaltender

But Cory Schneider is so air tight in his play that he even outshines an elite goalie

I don't know how long Cory can continue to play the way he does. I don't even know if it's possible for him to have a bad game because I've never seen him have one but he could shatter some records if he can be consistent.

I called that Bryzgalov contract was horrible the day it was signed. Also lemme clarify, i am a luongo supporter, just wondering why canucks fans turned on him. Someone on twitter wrote something about this that i thought wow thats exactly right. Luongo trashers are vocal minority, while luongo supporters are the silent majority.

My only issue is the whole "devil you know" dilemma. With Luongo you know what you are going to get for the most part. With Cory though, we have no idea how he would handle playing 60+ games a year and having the pressure of being the number one goalie. In all likely hood he could handle it...but how does anyone know for sure? That's my only concern.

As good as Luongo has been,,,he,,like all goalies have chinks in their armour. As physical abilty ebbs with age it becomes more important to improve in other areas. The Canucks hired Rollie Melanson and it showed immediate results with Lou. He had his best season in his career last year and was very consistant.

Unfortunately it did not carry over to the playoffs. He obviously either didn't trust the changes or feel comfortable with them. He played some great games and some terrible ones..translated into lack of consistancy.

This season Lou did not adhere to the Melanson method and his stats and consistancy both suffered. He wished to play higher in the crease even though playing deeper was a fix for his lack of mobility. Big goalies can get away with playing deeper and he does not get caught out of position and can seal off the bottom of the net better.

Schneider has excelled under the tutledge of Melanson...and his consistancy and stats reflect his level of improvement. I believe Lou made a critcal mistake in his game plan this year. Why would you not follow a strategy that gave you the best season of your life. By doing this Lou opened the door for Cory...and Cory walked through the opening. It may have been Lou's undoing in Vancouver. The fans did not push Lou out...Lou did not choose the right strategy !!

Archived