The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Vancouver Canucks Trade Ryan Kesler? It's Not Unthinkable

Mookie Wilson

As far as I am concerned Kesler is UNTOUCHABLE! You do not trade away the one player who is pretty much the heart and soul of the team and our future captain. You do not trade him! Even thinking about trading him should be a crime, this is disgusting! Just NO NO NO! You do not trade Kes for Anything, not even Weber!!

He took a MAJOR discount to stay here and be apart of the core that all have taken a paycut in order to stick together and try to win a championship. I highly doubt Kes will be traded, Gillis will stick by his commitment to him.

An excellent example why Vancouver's media and fanbase is bad.

Throw an elite center under the bus after one bad year. Yes, we can all be dissapointed in Kesler's play from this year. But to talk about trading Kesler? Even if its "not unthinkable". Unbelievable. This is why Luongo wants out.

if you trade Kesler, depending on return, then you look at moving the twins as well. Sedins are getting older and have 4-5 more years left, well two more seasons under contract. Sedins were healthy in the SCF and didn't produce at all, they also give us our soft label as they make up 2/3s of a line and with the changes in the West Sedins game isn't a fit in the West and better suited for how the East plays. I doubt Gillis move the Sedins or Kesler, those are too risky in a hockey mad market and if it fails then it would cost Gillis his job, he'll play it safe and keep this core that can't score in the playoffs together. But hey we'll kill it in the reg season.

I'll admit he's not my type of player especially his "performance(s)" this season. Last season we saw the Kesler every team would love to have. That I'd the Kesler we need. That is a Kesler that truly reps what Canucks hockey is.

If, if, if, that Kesler returns then our team is in good shape.

IMO to trade Kesler after this season is reactionary. I hated his antics. He embarrassed himself and the club at times. But, I feel he deserves another shot.

From a business point of view, the return could be doubtful. He had come off a lackluster season involving a documented hip injury rehab and now a shoulder issue. As well, mg risks scaring off top players by moving Kesler especially considering some of the lesser players he chooses (chose) to keep around.

If Kesler can rehab his attitude as well as his shoulder then the obvious moved nv needs to make will be enough to help the team.

One more year kes! Or gtfo!

Had to have been picked off by someone; If trading Kesler was in the cards, now way in hell would Hodgson have been traded.

Link: http://www.vancouver...3132/story.html

If Gillis decides he'd like to give this team a new look, I think he will strongly consider trading Kesler. This article draws attention to the rationale for trading Kesler, including: 1) remaking the team's image, 2) remaking the team's on-ice make-up, which over the last few seasons has lived & died with Kesler's production 3) practical considerations (i.e. Kesler does not now have a NTC, but will have one kicking in soon), 4) Kesler's trade value. I will let the article speak for itself on those matters.

One thing the article does not consider is how the Canucks could actually improve next year after trading Kesler. Yes, the Flyers traded both Richards and Carter last off-season and seem to be both younger and better this year. But they already had Giroux and Briere in place as top-2 centres. The Canucks do not have an internal replacement for Kesler. And furthermore, what team is going to give up a centre as effective as Kesler in any trade?

While I would support trading Kesler as a means to re-making the team's image and picking up pieces towards the development of a new, younger core, I cannot fathom how the Canucks could do that while remaining a contender next season.

Had to have been picked off by someone; If trading Kesler was in the cards, now way in hell would Hodgson have been traded.

The two are not remotely connected........Hodgeson was going no matter what....I'd do it again...Mike Gillis..quote

What looked like a steal last year looks just average (I'm not complaining) this year. Bear in mind Kesler was slated to be RFA, not UFA like Leino. All things considered when Kesler was signed, it was good use of leverage to keep from overpaying but still offering a player on the rise a respectable raise. Its why you sign people as RFA's to long term deals or trade them early. Jersey on the other hand overpaid Parise while RFA, now his expectations are over the moon! Good deal overall for us and Kesler, but not a steal!

Burrows is a steal!

:)

An excellent example why Vancouver's media and fanbase is bad.

Throw an elite center under the bus after one bad year. Yes, we can all be dissapointed in Kesler's play from this year. But to talk about trading Kesler? Even if its "not unthinkable". Unbelievable. This is why Luongo wants out.

The reason Kesler was so successful last season was because he had the whole offseason to master his shot and MG told him to cut the chirping.

The reason Kesler was not so successful this season was because he had no offseason to practice, was coming off an injury and surgery, and MG probably didn't have the chance to remind him to cut the chirping.

Next season Kesler will have the whole offseason to re-master his shot and MG will likely remind him to cut the crap.

Archived