The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Simple Approach To Fixing Your Crappy Self-Esteem

Common sense

Happiness isn't a given, and it's often an elusive emotion because we don't always love the person we are. That doesn't mean we're not capable of fixing the issues we may have with ourselves. Sometimes all that is requires is knowing how to set the right goals. If you've got a problem with low self-esteem, Redditor kablamy has a simple yet effective plan you can try:

Do things to fix the things about yourself that you don't like. Don't feel smart enough? Read more, discuss intellectual things, practice memorizing things and mental math. Don't feel like you look good enough? Work out, dress well, find a hair style that works for you. Ask for advice or find out how to do it via the internet if you don't know how. You have bad self-esteem because you're not satisfied with who you are. Take steps to become the person you want to be.

Of course, this is easier said than done but it does provide a concrete method for boosting your self-esteem. It may be a long and difficult road, so be sure you stay motivated and never succumb to procrastination. Accomplishments are key when you want to feel good about yourself, especially when they're part of the process of becoming the person you want to be.

http://lifehacker.com/5905152/a-simple-approach-to-fixing-your-crappy-self+esteem

So what else works... Mood lights/lamps? Going for a jog? Positive self-talk? Let me know...I'm actually curious and interested to hear from the CDC community what works for self-esteem.

when i was a child my parents told me that if i believed in myself and set a goal and gave 100% that i could achieve whatever i put my mind to , i thought this was a crock and did not apply this in my life until my mid 20"s only to find out they were right and the confidence and belief in myself that provided permeated into other facets of my life .

GTL

but seriously, I am constantly testing myself so my self esteem is around where it should be. If your self esteem is too low, it means you think less of themselves then where they really are. Likewise, if its too high, your perception of your abilities is much higher than they really are. When you are constantly testing your abilities and proving that you can or cannot do something, your self esteem tends to settle where it should be.

Confidence to do what? You can either do something or you can't.

Problem with the world is people are either overconfident (I can do anything if I put my mind to it!) leading to the pompous Vancouver types or pessimistic (we're all doomed, how can anyone overcome this terrible world) leading to the equally annoying hippy/protestor types.

Instead of having a big emotion fest how about teaching people how to deal with reality?

I'm an ugly bum dressing low end job type and couldn't give two poops about it. I'm White Trash from Surrey and proud of it.

I think people who have these problems are people who have unrealistic expectations in life. That or they were on some kind of pedestal and when real life hit them...

I think the problem I have with certain people are the ones that act like they're the only ones with problems, and the ones who are concerned with the shallowest of problems annoy me the most.

• 4 weeks later...

I think most people deal with self-esteem issues by repressing and avoiding..

Confidence to do what? You can either do something or you can't.

Problem with the world is people are either overconfident (I can do anything if I put my mind to it!) leading to the pompous Vancouver types or pessimistic (we're all doomed, how can anyone overcome this terrible world) leading to the equally annoying hippy/protestor types.

Instead of having a big emotion fest how about teaching people how to deal with reality?

im not pessimistic im a realist, which people confuse with pessimistic. eg is the cup half full or empty, if it was poured into the glass without drinking than its half full, if half was dumped than its half empty, and if you come across a glass like that without knowing if its half empty or half full dont drink it because its not yours

Archived