The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Teams Begin Dealings?

cmpunk

I have posted this in a few threads but didnt get an answer...Just wondering if anyone knows if teams that are not in the playoffs or have been eliminated, can they begin trading and making deals while the playoffs are still going on?

Or can deals only be made after the playoffs are over? So with all the trade talk of Lu can he be delt tomorrow if it could happen? Anyone know how it works?

Teams can make trades after the deadline, however, players who are acquired after the deadline are ineligible to participate in the playoffs. Because of this, you generally only see prospects, rights to players, and draft picks change hands during this time.

Trades that occurred between March 1, 2011 (day after deadline) and June 15, 2011 (last game of the Stanley Cup finals):

March 1

To CBJ: Petr Kalus

To MIN: Future Considerations

May 8

To PHX: Ethan Werek

To NYR: Oscar Lindberg

June 1

To CGY: Roman Horak, 2011 #45 overall pick, 2011 #57 overall pick

To NYR: Tim Erixon, 2011 #133 overall pick

June 2

To WSH: Taylor Stefishen

To NSH: 2013 conditional 7th round pick

June 7

To PHX: Matt Clackson, 2011 #83 overall pick, 2012 3rd round pick

To PHI: Ilya Bryzgalov (rights)

I believe you can re-sign players from the team, but cant make trades as it is very unfair because the player you trade may have interest from a team in the playoffs, who wouldn't be able to capitalise on it.

I think you have to wait until the end of the playoffs. If we are to trade Luongo (which by the way has not been confirmed. Just sources saying he is making a list. For all we know those sources could be unreliable.) It would probably be done at the draft tbh.

In most cases you can sign your own free agents. but no trades.

And there are some specialty rules; for example when you take a player to arbitration that settlement is binding till a period after the season, but before July 1st. July 1st is when the existing seasons contracts are deemed over & unrestricted free agents are open to all offers. So with your arbitration guys, you still have a few weeks of exclusive negotiating.

And I'm less sure here, but i believe there is also an earlier deadline (still after the season) where all can start making offers to restricted free agents. That way the team holding current rights has a chance to decide on matching offers before going into the UFA pool.

Do I have this right?

I have posted this in a few threads but didnt get an answer...Just wondering if anyone knows if teams that are not in the playoffs or have been eliminated, can they begin trading and making deals while the playoffs are still going on?

Or can deals only be made after the playoffs are over? So with all the trade talk of Lu can he be delt tomorrow if it could happen? Anyone know how it works?

So, if we are talking as another thread suggested, Luongo to Toronto, while frowned upon by the league, (most likely because of the media attention it draws AWAY from the Cup run) it is still entirely possible, and would not affect the outcome of either team as neither is in the playoffs.

Might be a great time to tender a deal like that if it is going to happen, mostly because it would free your attention up and the cap space up to do other things after the Cup finals.

Just talking theoretically here.

So, if we are talking as another thread suggested, Luongo to Toronto, while frowned upon by the league, (most likely because of the media attention it draws AWAY from the Cup run) it is still entirely possible, and would not affect the outcome of either team as neither is in the playoffs.

Might be a great time to tender a deal like that if it is going to happen, mostly because it would free your attention up and the cap space up to do other things after the Cup finals.

Just talking theoretically here.

Wonder how they calculate that? For instance, Pahlsson shows a pro rated cap hit of .587

The salary is over when the regular season ends, that is why there is no cap limit in the playoffs, the salaries are for the regular season only, playoffs are free.

So, each players current cap hit is $0.00.

Is my logic wrong?

Wonder how they calculate that? For instance, Pahlsson shows a pro rated cap hit of .587

The salary is over when the regular season ends, that is why there is no cap limit in the playoffs, the salaries are for the regular season only, playoffs are free.

So, each players current cap hit is $0.00.

Is my logic wrong?

I would forget all about our 1st round disaster if I woke up tomorrow to find we'd traded Luongo to Columbus for Rick Nash.

That's the 6'4" 220 elite right winger the Sedins have never had.

Better yet, put Nash at center and have the Sedins on his wings. Could you imagine? LOL

One way to get the deal done to TO instantly would be to tell Burkie he could announce it 15 minutes before the start of the "Thrills a Minute" PHX-NJD game 7. ::D

Archived