The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Washington Of 2012 The Canucks Of 2013?

NuckZin2011

I want to look at the Bruins- Caps series from a different point of view. The Caps were President Trophy winners in 2010, the last before our Canucks went back-to-back, and flamed out in the 1st round (Montreal is memory serves me), like our Canucks this year. Do we or can we look at similarities between the two. Granted, Washington hasn't won anything yet (except eliminating the defending champs...hee, hee- guilty pleasure) but can we take some solace in this. Personally, Washington is now my favorite team to take it all, not because of who they beat (again, hee, hee,) but because it gives me hope for our team next year. I believe that sometimes an early exit can inspire a team the next year to greatness. In recent early round loses to Chicago, the Canucks were clearly the underdogs (even though they were the higher seed in 2010, Chicago went on to win the

Cup) but this year they were clearly favorites going in and couldn't come up with the goods they needed to. I guess my point is, in the BIG PICTURE, was this lose a wake up call for the 'core' of this team and can they look at the Caps as inspiration going into next year.

GO CAPS GO!!!

Guest BuckFoston

I want to look at the Bruins- Caps series from a different point of view. The Caps were President Trophy winners in 2010, the last before our Canucks went back-to-back, and flamed out in the 1st round (Montreal is memory serves me), like our Canucks this year. Do we or can we look at similarities between the two. Granted, Washington hasn't won anything yet (except eliminating the defending champs...hee, hee- guilty pleasure) but can we take some solace in this.

GO CAPS GO!!!

I didn't read your post... however, yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Not so much a similarity at the moment but in the near future.

That being the caps finally realised regular season success and skill don't mean anything. Look at their position 8th, and they're superstar Ovechkin. Ovie played pretty average (by his standards) this season and was no where near the superstar he use to be. Look at Boston last year, who was their leading scorer? Who was their superstar forward? I think teams will start to realise the recipe for success in the playoffs isn't just skill.

Hopefully MG will realise this soon as well.

Just keep this team together... No trades, no changes just learn to sync. Look at this seasons highlights compared to other teams highlights, although we have not seen the guys still playing's highlights yet. Our looks spectacular. Stay the course. Too many changes stuffs up confidence and motivation. After a couple of years playing with the same guys you get to know where they'll be, how they move... Only change is Gillis. He wants to be Younger / Stronger / Bigger. Hopefully the board will just want to be better. Ditch this guy...

I agree, a coaching change towards a GREAT and more complete coach is the key.

It's not that AV is bad, and just changing to any other coach will NOT fix things.

The new coach has to preach the same stuff they've been doing, but also preach the stuff that has been missing (driving to the front of the net, and staying at the front/slot scoring 5-12ft goals). Right now the entire team does not do this (they stand at the front but get no control of the puck from there), and even Booth has been avoiding driving the net. This cannot be the result of every roster player being afraid - and must be a systematic design of AV.

While still just a theory, and I hope AV sees this little weakness and changes his system, I think that if Canucks falter again - it will be because of this weakness I've pointed out and not for any other reason. The team has enough skill and toughness spread throughout the lineup, but lacks the team mentality and philosophy to drive to the offensive dirty areas at the front of the net.

Guest PUNJABI CANUCK

We are slowly turning into San Jose.

Canucks keep on choking in the playoffs just like the Sharks (some diferrences but teams are similar).

Canucks do have a great bunch of players, very skilled. Can't complain about that too much.

However the same group of players can not play together forever. If unsuccessful, (as we have been lately at capturing the cup), an effort must be made to slightly change the roster to change the dynamics a little bit at least. MG does this....

Excellent goaltending can win you a series. Team defence is very key. Our defenceman made too many key giveaways and turnovers that ended up costing us. And yes forwards must score clutch gritty goals. Sedinery highlights dry up a bit in the playoffs...

Anyway I wont get into what all change and cry over spilled milk.....

Archived