The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

I'll miss Luongo too, but I wont miss his playoff implosions. As for "the fans chasing him out of town", he said himself in an interview a while back that he plays for his team, friends, and family. He never mentioned the fans so I assume he was not too worried about our opinions then or now.

Part of the deal is that, as a starter, it’s your deal and you carry the weight of it. Usually a back up is put in when things are heading south and, at that point, he is viewed as a possible hero. He can save the day and, if he doesn’t, it still doesn’t usually fall back on his shoulders...he is, after all, only the back up. Things were already falling apart but it doesn’t get directed back to the back up, it’s still the starter people attribute the loss to. So the bar isn’t set as high and with that, the pressure so great. It’s different when all eyes are on you to answer as a starter and I hope CS can maintain that cool when it’s a daily grind, not just a cameo appearance.

Love both of these guys, but feel that Lu’s experience and having seen it all had him at a place where he was finally prepared to face and challenge if things started to fall apart. There would be no surprises. Sure, at times he appeared almost shell shocked by what was unraveling around him, but through those experiences you gain knowledge. You learn what to expect in the worst case scenarios and can be ready for them. Seasoned veteran stuff.

And, to give that up now, scares me. There was a reason we won back to back President’s trophies and went to a SCF game seven. Lu was a very big part of that and that IS proven with regard to having the ability to get us there, even if the job wasn’t finished. I bet he does end the story with a cup - I’ll just be devastated when it isn’t here.

The cup isn’t an easy deal and it often does take some persistence before the payoff in achieving that dream. Mostly, it’s about everything falling into place at the right time. But it can also require some persistence before the payoff...you learn along the road and are better equipped the next time. There’s a reason that teams pick up guys who have been to the playoffs before and Lu falls under that category, having come so close.

Moments of meltdowns are part of the initial learning process, part of the “what the hell is happening here?” reaction. Sure, Lu has had some but part of going through that usually prepares one to react differently next time. To be ready should it happen again. To know what to expect without having it catch you in the headlights.

If we were to go against Lu in a battle for the cup, he’d scare the hell out of me based on the fact that he is no stranger to adversity, pressure and having to stand in the forefront. Been there, done that insight. He’s matured while having to deal with it all and I’m convinced we’d be letting him go right at a time where he’s fully prepared with the knowledge and experience to get there.

Exactly. Thank you!

He is still a great goal tender who has a few solid years of goaltending left to give.

The only person to blame for Lou's so called "ruined" career is Lou. The #1 spot was his to keep. All he had to do was outperform his #2, and he couldn't and hasn't. I suppose he can cry himself to sleep on his gold lined pillow.

Why is it that Detroit gets to corral personalities like Hasek and Osgood, who are proven winners, but we can't manage corral personalities like Hodgson and Luongo, who've accomplished JACK SQUAT!

Meh. It seems that both Luongo AND Thomas might be on the block this summer. Strange stuff. Cheers.

TOML

I posted before the play off's; Start Schneider for game 1 just to send him a message. Then go back immediately to Lou for game 2, even if Schneider got a shut out. It tells Lou, we're giving you a chance, but no let downs as we have had in some play off years! Then run with Lou as long as he holds the fort.

My post got locked; I was called an idiot. Does not look so dumb now?

I also posted earlier in the year; Lou looks to have matured past his past meltdowns. But this reaction from Lou, just like him whining that nobody was pumping his tires (then letting in 6 or 8 goals) suggests exactly why he has meltdowns. Lou gets too emotional. Whether it helps his trade value or not, it makes any decision easier!

i personally dont believe Luongo would want out because of Schnieder. I think it's the so called 'fans'. I mean every time Luongo lets in a bad goal he gets a crowd of boo's from the fans. And i swear after every game a reporter asks about the goalie situation. He must just feel enough is enough and that he is underappreciated here...which he is. If this is true, then I hope all the best for him in the future, because no matter what mistakes or bad games he's had in the past he is still easily a top 5 goalie in the league and the best we've ever had (another reason i don't understand the 'fans' of this team).

This could be a great opportunity Luongo, Schnieder (becoming a full time starter) and the Canucks. All the best in the future for all 3 :)

Wow

GM MG better start calling Tampa, Florida, NJ and Toronto right away. I have a felling those are the 4 cities Luongo would agree to be traded too as all 4 need a starter and are places I could see him wanting to live.

LeCavalier for Luongo anyone? I think we may have to take on a big contract to get rid of Luongo's massive contract.

Congratulations Vancouver. You've just buried another goal tender. I wouldn't blame Luongo one bit if he asked out of this ungracious market. It`s too bad Luongo couldn't score more goals to keep you people happy.

This Team will forever be the bridesmaid with the mentality of the support and fans here.

Good luck Schneids. Hope you can keep the GA average less than 1.5 cuz there's no one on this team that'll help you out by scoring goals. Besides the Sedins (who are now in decline) I don't see goal scorers.

Let`s see how Scneids does with the pressure of a whole season over his head and the fans ready to bring out the grave diggers on his first bad game.

I second that! I will support Lou to the end. I'm a Schneider fan too, so this isn't the worst thing... unless of course someone signs Schneids to a wicked offer sheet that we can't match. :)All the same, Luongo has been classy his entire career with Vancouver. I am sad to see him go, but will wish him luck and cheer for him where ever he goes... including the Leafs.

1. People need to radically lower their expectiations for returns. Lu is an elite goalie but his contract greatly reduces his value. Maybe Gillis can swindle someone but I don't expect much. Malone, I think, is the best we could do, if that.

2. Fans may have made him a little more ready to leave. However, if the fans/media were the problem he wouldn't be willing to go to TO.

Not surprising. I am not a Lou Fan... but he does get a rough ride as do many goaltenders have that have rolled through Vancouver. The one thing I admire about Lou is that he has a big juicy contract and it really doesnt matter whether he is a starter or a back up. But the guy still wants to play 60+ games... some guys may be happy with just kicking back and relaxing and be the highest paid back up.

From a team standpoint, it is too bad he wants out. They lose some bargaining power when that comes out and when he has pointed out the two teams rumored to be Toronto and Tampa.

Facts are... he is not the reason they did not win the cup. He is not the reason they lost in the first round. He is in the top 10% of current NHL goalies... Schneider has attracted a lot of a attention where they could possibly trade and get some players they like, not from a team they are forced to deal with.

Also... if Luongo has a few good years left... they have Lack coming up behind...

Personally... contrary to what I have said above... I like Schneider more than Luondo... but from a business and team stand point... Either of the goalies can keep this team at the top of the standings... they are 1-2 pieces short... and it isnt in the goaltending position.

To people who say they won't be able to move his contract. They'll move it with ease. Columbus just moved Jeff Carter's contract and thats twice as insane as Lou's. Plus there's lots of Jeff Carter's in the league, while there aren't many Luongo's.

Hopefuly MG can pull a 3 way trade involving Columbus, sending Lou to either TB or TO and get Rick Nash back in return, but it will take much more than Lou alone to acomplish that.

Archived