The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

Thanks very much all you ridiculous fans and media that brought this on.

I hope Lu goes and wins a cup with Tampa Bay or something in the next 2 - 4 years and everyone in Vancouver has to eat it.

The guy clearly isn't interested in having every ???? goal he lets in turn into a 2 day discussion anymore. He needs a city where there is basketball or football and no one gives a crap about hockey.

Lets hope Schneids is indeed the real deal.

Can't remember who told me I was full of it. I told them I'd bet them money Luongo would be traded out of Vancouver by next trade deadline. He LAUGHED at me and berated me to the point where I was ready to throw my laptop out the window, obviously not though. My laptop is worth more than his house, and if you think that's an arrogant thing to say, you are probably right.

However it's not half as arrogant as people missing the inevitable shrugs Luongo gave to the media, hiding behind terrible acting pretending to be content with the situation--- and then claiming US, the ones who read into the finer circumstances of Luongo's situation, his stats dropping, his attitude--call us the ones who unreasonably predicted the most reasonable conclusion: Luongo was and is not happy as a Vancouver Canuck.

The people missing the tel-tale signs that Luongo secretly resented Schneider, were the same ones posting here claiming 'no of course not... he doesn't want out and he isn't going to ask to be traded'.

Well guess what. He does want out. And he is asking to be traded before anyone else can ask him. So that IMO means all you brainwashed Luo lovers really had it wrong, all wrong.

Any refutation is missing the point. You were wrong, and you missed the cues given to us that lead to his decision to NOT want to be a part of the Vancouver Canucks organization. Admit it, and I will respect you.

Got to love the so-called "fans" that want the Canucks to lose into obscurity. What ever happened to all that "support the team no matter what" we heard all year?

I like Lu, that's what sucks the most. I like him as a person, but I want the best chance to win a cup. If that means Cory, then that is what it means. I hope Lu has the best with his new team should that come to pass, but not at the expense of ours. I hope we dominate his team and any others we come across. (Keep in mind, if GMMG gets an offer he can't refuse for Cory instead, I am perfectly fine with Lu as the starter)

Always Canucks before anyone.

Always.

This is nothing but a farce that we drive goalies out of town and i get sick of it.What really happens is the Canucks goalies show glimpses of being very good and then turn they are horribly inconsistent and play like crap when we need them and let everybody down.What really drives goalies out of Vancouver is themselves and only fools don't realize this.Schneider won't have a problem delivering in Vancouver because first of all he's very gifted goalie who has no weaknesses, he is also strong minded and isn't a flake mentally like Luongo. Schneider is better then Luongo at every facet of the goaltending game, younger, cheaper and much stronger mentally. The Canucks brass would be complete idiots to keep Luongo over Schneider.

Can't remember who told me I was full of it. I told them I'd bet them money Luongo would be traded out of Vancouver by next trade deadline. He LAUGHED at me and berated me to the point where I was ready to throw my laptop out the window, obviously not though. My laptop is worth more than his house, and if you think that's an arrogant thing to say, you are probably right, but not as arrogant at people missing the inevitable shrugs Luongo gave to the media, hiding behind terrible acting pretending to be content with the situation----the people missing the tel-tale signs that Luongo secretly resented Schneider, were the same ones posting here claiming 'no of course not... he doesn't want out and he isn't going to ask to be traded'.

Well guess what. He doe want out. And he is asking to be traded before anyone else can ask him. So that IMO means all you brainwashed Luo lovers really had it wrong, all wrong.

Any refutation is missing the point. You were wrong, and you missed the cues given to us that lead to his decision to NOT want to be a part of the Vancouver Canucks organization. Admit it, and I will respect you.

I think Gillis is smart enough to let Roberto wait for the emotions of a letdown by the team in the last 3rd of the season to settle down and let cooler heads prevail. Great teams are built from the goal, out, and this team's success has been built from Luongo, outward. The team peaked, like Gillis said, from the Bruins tilt back in January. From then onward, it was exceptional goaltending that won a lot of games (by 1 goal margins) that the Canucks had no business winning. The 1st round exit was not Luongo's fault. AV made the decision to stick with Corey to try every which way to get his under-performing team going.

We're just speculating that Schneider is going to be as great a goalie as Luongo. Schneids has had a great showing so far but he hasn't done it over a full season while carrying the pressure of being no. 1. With Luongo, you can be sure that, more games than not, goaltending is not going to be a concern.

Gillis is in control and I think he's not going to cave in to Luongo's wish. He's gonna sit down with Lu and bring him to his senses, and affirm that Lu is the cornerstone of this franchise. I think Gillis is going to trade Corey (for a sniper and a solid defenseman to succeed Salo) and affirm Luongo's #1 status with the club- a position he has held since arriving. (I am hoping that if its Toronto, then we'd get Kessel and Gunnarson in return).

Psychology is such an important part of a goaltender's game - its the fine line between being on your game and playing like a sieve. There are no guarantees that Schneider can carry a no. 1 load (in games and this hockey-mad town pressure) for the duration of a full regular season and playoffs. Luongo has the track record, experience and proven ability to be among the top 5 goalies in the league. He's worth every penny of his elite contract and the Canucks would be fools to let him walk in a trade for players far less in value.

Got to love the so-called "fans" that want the Canucks to lose into obscurity. What ever happened to all that "support the team no matter what" we heard all year?

I like Lu, that's what sucks the most. I like him as a person, but I want the best chance to win a cup. If that means Cory, then that is what it means. I hope Lu has the best with his new team should that come to pass, but not at the expense of ours. I hope we dominate his team and any others we come across. (Keep in mind, if GMMG gets an offer he can't refuse for Cory instead, I am perfectly fine with Lu as the starter)

Always Canucks before anyone.

Always.

Aww boy this isn't good. The Canucks need Luongo, we can't just rest our entire season's hopes on a kid who has started 56 games over 4 seasons. Who knows how Schneider will do with 60+ games, he could easily crack under the pressure of a full-time position. And then there's the problem of finding a backup capable of playing 20-30 games...

Trading Schneider would have been the easier option, and we'd get more in return as well.

If MG traded Hodgson because he wanted out, he won't find it hard to move Luongo either. I just hope the 3 stupid nothing-games at the end of our playoffs didn't make Luongo decide this, because we had no chance of coming back from a 3-0 hole anyway.

Now we know what was going through Luongo's mind for those 9 hrs that he was sitting on the bench in games 3, 4, and 5. Although it seems sudden and quick, I think that Lui's been thinking in his mind what he'd do regardless whether we advance or lose in round 1.

I guess it was just a matter of formality who asked, GIllis and Luongo could have come out with a joint statement saying, 'we mutually came to a conclusion ...

when we traded for Lu, he was on a team that was bad defensively. he was taking 35-40 shots a night and playing every game of the year. When he came to Vancouver, the work load dropped considerably from a game to game perspective. Vancouver was better defensively and he only was taking 20-25 shots a game on average. An now he also has a great back up that is sucking up 20-25 games a year. If you ask me he just isn't busy enough to find his rhythm. If he wants to improve his numbers, he needs to play on a team that is bad defensively. Sounds kind of counter intuitive but some goalies need to be busy, and if they are not its like their knickers are on back wards.

The first couple of years that he was here the canucks were not stellar defensively and Lu was pretty busy and he thrived on that and had some good years. But the better this team got defensively, the worse Lu got. Management noticed some chinks in his armor and started to baby him by giving him more rest........this I believe to be the biggest mistake that management has made with Lu and is partially responsible for his down fall in Vancouver. We where resting him when we should have been working him harder and throwing him back in after tough games.

Maybe some fans use that crazy thing called logic. A proven starter being replaced by someone who hasn't had a full season as one. There's a better chance we don't make the playoffs with Schneider in net next year than Lu. And thats not Schneider hate that just an easy observation and hockey fact. I'm not sure why people are happy at the chance we could completely just screw ourselves putting everything on Schneider. It's a high risk vrs high reward.

Archived