The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are The Canucks: Re-Building Or Adding Parts

6string

Question is tweaking or restructuring, not rebuilding. Philly restructured and it seems to work out so far. Washington and sharks all tweaked with status quo results. Detroit tweaked but also had Yankee money before the cap.

I would be in favour of restructuring.

There is no guarantee Lu is gone. There will not be many takers for his lengthy contract. Despite what we have heard reported in the media, there is no guarantee Lu wants out, or the Canucks want him gone. A lot of what we have been hearing is media hooey. It's what keeps them employed.

I suspect that unless Lu goes, there will be no substantial change to this team come next season. On the other hand, if Lu goes, the deck of cards will lkely fold, and a number of trades will occur.

And, I can't see the reasoning for all the Kes-love. The guy did little other than yap and dive all season, with promises at season's end that he will be a true hero next year. Give me a break. If the guy didn't bring professionalism this year, why do we believe he will do anything substantial next year. Better for his career (and he does have amazing talent), and the Canucks wellbeing, that he takes a change of scenery.

But, all in all, I just don't see a wholesale rebuilding on this team. Lu will be here next year, and a few holes plugged. Then, it will be full steam ahead, and those plugged holes will either work out (as they did last year with Torres), or they won't in which case the great ship Vancouver Canucks will founder and take on water yet again in the playoffs next year.

A somewhat pessimistic viewpoint I know, but I jut don't think the Canucks have sufficiently "seen the light" to come to terms with the harsh reality of what it takes to become a real powerhouse team.

Not rebuilding. If Gillis wants to go the Philly route and "reload" he could possibly trade Edler, Kesler, Luongo etc. I'm not sure Gillis has the balls to pull of those types of moves though.

I expect more tweaking. Making moves to improve the team without giving up core players. The is a contending team. We just need to add the right pieces.

The most important part of the re-tool for me is adding a legit top 2 d-man. Someone who makes safe, smart plays, logs huge minutes, and can move the puck well and contribute offensivley. Someone like... Ryan Suter. Doubt he'll be available come July 1 though...

So... re-tool you say?

Luongo + Raymond + 2nd to TB for #10 + Purcell

Edler + Booth + 26th overall for Nash

Sign Suter

Re-sign Salo + Pinnizotto

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Nash - Kesler - Purcell

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Pinnizotto - Lapierre - Kassian

Malhotra

Weise

Suter - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Salo

Gragnani

Alberts

Schneider

Everybody is right we are re-tooling.......we have the core to win for the next few years, but hopefully with guys like Jensen, Schneider, Tanev, and whatever we get back in the Luongo deal we can supplement that core with a group of young guys ready to step up when the Twins start to decline.

Everybody is right we are re-tooling.......we have the core to win for the next few years, but hopefully with guys like Jensen, Schneider, Tanev, and whatever we get back in the Luongo deal we can supplement that core with a group of young guys ready to step up when the Twins start to decline.

Archived