The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are The Canucks: Re-Building Or Adding Parts

6string

Was just looking back at the last 4 SCF winners, and found something pretty interesting. GM's made some 'significant additions' the summer/season after their team didn't win the cup. After the 'significant additions', they won the Cup.

Bruins: 2009-10 playoffs they were embarrassed in 2nd round by Philly after blowing a 3-0 series lead. Going into, or during, 2010-11 season they added Marchand, Seguin, Horton, Kelly, Peverly, Seidenburg, Kaberle and Campbell. Then they won the Cup.

Hawks: 2008-09 they were ousted in the Conferenece Finals. Going into, or during, 2009-10 season Hawks GM added Hossa, Kopecky, Sopel, Madden, and Bickell. Then they won the Cup.

Pittsburg: 2007-08 they lost to Detroit in the SCF. Going into, or during, 2008-09 season they fired the coach, added Guerin, Fedetenko, Kunitz, Saton, Eaton, and Cooke. Then they won the Cup.

Detroit: 2006-07 they lost to ANA in the conference finals. Going into, or during, the 2007-08 season they added Kronwall, Rafalski, Stuart, Helm, and Drake. Then they won the Cup.

Here's what the Canucks did the summer/season after they didn't win the Cup (last yr). Added Pahlsson and Booth - that's it. [Kassian, Ebbett, Weise etc didn't either play enough games, enough minutes or contribute offensively to be considered as an 'addition' for any team on my lists].

Basically it states: GMs made changes when their team didn't win the Cup. Whether their team lost in the SCF or in 1st round, they made at least 5 significant additions the following year and then they won Stanley. No GM in the last 4 yrs stuck with the same faces and won the Cup the following yr. I think it speaks to parity in the league and if you're not successful one year, you HAVE to make changes (specifically additions) to win the Cup. Lets hope Gillis actually sees this and makes changes.

Was just looking back at the last 4 SCF winners, and found something pretty interesting. GM's made some 'significant additions' the summer/season after their team didn't win the cup. After the 'significant additions', they won the Cup.

Bruins: 2009-10 playoffs they were embarrassed in 2nd round by Philly after blowing a 3-0 series lead. Going into, or during, 2010-11 season they added Marchand, Seguin, Horton, Kelly, Peverly, Seidenburg, Kaberle and Campbell. Then they won the Cup.

Hawks: 2008-09 they were ousted in the Conferenece Finals. Going into, or during, 2009-10 season Hawks GM added Hossa, Kopecky, Sopel, Madden, and Bickell. Then they won the Cup.

Pittsburg: 2007-08 they lost to Detroit in the SCF. Going into, or during, 2008-09 season they fired the coach, added Guerin, Fedetenko, Kunitz, Saton, Eaton, and Cooke. Then they won the Cup.

Detroit: 2006-07 they lost to ANA in the conference finals. Going into, or during, the 2007-08 season they added Kronwall, Rafalski, Stuart, Helm, and Drake. Then they won the Cup.

Here's what the Canucks did the summer/season after they didn't win the Cup (last yr). Added Pahlsson and Booth - that's it. [Kassian, Ebbett, Weise etc didn't either play enough games, enough minutes or contribute offensively to be considered as an 'addition' for any team on my lists].

Basically it states: GMs made changes when their team didn't win the Cup. Whether their team lost in the SCF or in 1st round, they made at least 5 significant additions the following year and then they won Stanley. No GM in the last 4 yrs stuck with the same faces and won the Cup the following yr. I think it speaks to parity in the league and if you're not successful one year, you HAVE to make changes (specifically additions) to win the Cup. Lets hope Gillis actually sees this and makes changes.

The Presidents trophy means squat. If you don't have the players you are finished. The media kept taking about Canucks great D. What were they on? What happened to the D? Weren't they Boness's area? The coaches and team need a rebuild otherwise it will be same old again. Next year the Oilers will be better, but will the Canucks? We don't get good drafts because we end up too high in the standings. Last year was just a lucky year and the Canuck team got on a roll in the playoffs but lost to the dirty Bruins and their reffs.

RunningWild, on 30 April 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

I donlt think Gillis has figured it out yet.

IF he trades LU, he's re-building around Cory and some new young talent and hope to be back challenging for the cup in 2-3 years..

IF he trades Cory, he's going to try and win the cup in the next 2 years.

Personally, I believe this is direct result of the cap era. Years 1 and 2 after introduction of the salary cap was a buffer for GMs. They were figuring out how to navigate in the cap era, negotiate contracts and build teams. In the last few yrs, I think GMs have realized if they didn't win the cup one yr, it wasn't the team who would win it the next yr (regardless of exit status in the playoffs).

2012-2013 Line-up

After Trading Luongo for Toronto's 1st round pick (Draft Dumba) and Colbourne

Trading Edler, and Higgins for Perry

Sign Parise (7yr, 49 million dollars)

Sedin-Sedin-Perry

Booth-Kesler-Parise

Burrows-Colbourne-Hansen

Bitz-Lapierre-Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Dumba-Tanev

Salo-Sauve/Alberts

Schneider

Lack

I see some great thoughts on this thread. I am with the "we need small changes" crowd, we are nowhere near a rebuild. The Detroit model is to never rebuild, just repair what is necessary.

So, that being said, what do we do?

1) Some grit on the first line. Suggestion? Booth. Now, maybe we could get a bigger name like Perry, but I see that as less likely.

So, we get Sedin, Sedin, Booth

2) Second line needs a center. Kesler is not playing like a center, he is playing like a winger. He needs a playmaker. Suggestion? Well, this would have to be part of the Luongo trade, assuming one happens. Patrick Sharpe, Phil Kessell, Tomas Fleischman

So, we get Burrows Kessell, Kesler

3) Some size on the back end. This is not personal, but Ballard is not working out in Vancouver. He is the only major salary dman that I see us moving. He can't be happy with his playing time, coach is not confident in him, etc. Suggestion? Byfuglien. Now, Ballard for Byfuglien is not going to happen straight across, but throw in Raymond? Maybe.

So, then I see some free agent signings to round us out.

We could look like this

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($2.000m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Zenon Konopka ($1.000m) / Mike Duco ($0.605m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Sami Salo ($1.250m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($2.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,280,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,020,000

So, our power play could change also

Perhaps

Sedin Sedin Byfuglien

Salo Edler

or

Kesler Kessle Byfuglien

Bieksa Edler

Something with some net presence.

Anyway, we need tweaking, not a rebuild.

Archived