The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gillis, Vigneault Expected To Be Back

samirjaver

And we have a winner. That is the biggest problem with AV. Once the team is up by a goal, especially in the third they nurse the lead like crazy.

Also what was alarming to me at the end of the year PC was when Gillis said the team had a significant emotional let down after the Boston game. Is that not where the coach has to step in and motivate his team. I like Vigneaults personality but his time in Vancouver has run its course. He failed to motivate the team in the second half of the season and I have absolutely no reason to believe he will motivate the team next year.

Another problem as has been mentioned in this quoted post is AV plays favorites and never gives all the guys an equal chance to play. Players like Kassian were consistently benched for guys like Raymond to play. Raymond did not contribute much this year yet he still found a way to be playing most of the nights. Majority of the nights he played were also top line minutes. Same problem with Aaron Rome, who found a way to play eventhough he did nothing to deserve the ice time,

I have and still do have a lot of faith in MG, however I have much less faith than a few years back. He's made some very serious blunders the past two years and if he is so blind as to keep AV on as head coach for another year, then I don't know if we can continue giving MG the benefit of the doubt.

AV's management (or mismanagement) of young talent is another issue. Philly has 6 rookies and they took out Pittsbugh!! New York just called up a kid from AHL and he was their best player today!! Washington Beat the Stanley Cup champs with a AHL rookie. But for the Nucks, our young guys have ot spend 3-5 yrs in the minors to learn the game. THen when they get called up, no matter how they play, they have to wait their turn behind the senior players, even if the senior players are playing like dung!

THe only reason AV has had such success over the years is because of great goaltending that covered up for weak defensive play and enough offense from the Sedins (largely on the PP) to cover up for an anemic offensive system.

For 2 years in a row, the Nucks were picked as the favorites ot win the cup yet they staggerd through last year to get to the finals, barely beating Chicago and Nashville and then getting humiliated by Boston. THe breaks went Vancouver's way last year and they couldn't get it done.

AV has had his chance. His coaching style will not win a cup.

Friedman did not make it up. This was asked earlier this week during the end of season Press Conference. Most of us did not even know that his friend had passed away but apparently it was one of his cloest friends.

I know for a lot of people, when someone close passes away you need time to reflect away from the game. Also what forgets ot be mentioned is Rick Rypien and Gillis were pretty close as well. Gillis signed him and let him have all the time he needed to deal with depression. That type of stuff does mentally wear and tear people

I think AV plays to what he sees as his teams strengths. Why did he go for the 1-0 lock down games? Hmmm, Ryan K was heading towards 20 goals not 44... Hank and Dan were point a game not Hart Trophy candidates. Kevin B had maintenance days galore. Manny couldn't see. Raymond's back was sore. Elder's fingers were still wonky.

If there is no offence, focus on defence. I remember some pretty bad defensive plays this year, too. They were trying to out score their opponents and getting their @sses handed to them.

As for all the AV can't handle young players... the Sedins were young once. He worked with Bieksa, Burrows, Kelser, Tanev, Edler and probably a few more. CoHo was probably more disruptive than we know and that's why he got less ice time than many think he should. But if you give him more ice time do you sit Hank or Ryan? He was in a tough situation and I think Buffalo is a better fit for him.

Thing is, if he stays, it's not likely for just the remaining year on his contract. It has already been mentioned in the media that a coach n his last year of a contract is a "lame-duck" coach.

If MG decides ot keep him, it could quite likely mean a contract extension for AV. He could still be fired but it is more expensive and could affect MG's position with the owners.

MG came in to this organization with a mandate to build a champion team and the Aquilini's have spent beyond the limits expected to make that happen. PLayers have taken discounts to achieve that dream but still, no cup and a much worse year and playoffs this year than the last.

I hope MG has the balls to move AV along and bring in a fresh outlook and fresh ideas. What we have is not working.

Each year AV and the core group talk about how much they learned and how much they now know what it takes. What a crock! This isn't grade school. Sure there are things to learn but it boils down to effort and performing to expectations. THis team has not shown it has learned that and going back to school for another year is not the answer..They need a new teacher.

Archived