The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gillis, Vigneault Expected To Be Back

samirjaver

Extremely disappointed to hear this. We can look forward to another draft where Gillis finds no one, and more trades that hurt the future of this team. At the very least, Gillis needs to fire his scouts and get new ones.

AV - if he sticks around, I'm ok with it cause I'm not sure there are better replacements. But he HAS to find a way of incorporating young players into the roster, then use them on a regular basis. He also to tweak his systems. It's clear that the defensivly stifling teams are successful in the playoffs (Boston last yr, all 2nd rounders except Philly this yr). This yr his team was eaten alive by this structure. It's his job to create a system to overcome these type of teams. Uh.

EDIT: Also, what kind of org does not make the coach available for postmortems? earliest exit in 4 yrs and fans don't get to hear the coaches explanation for this failure. I think that's incredibly disrespectful to the fans.

i suspect kaasian will start in the minors with coach v and he'll tell us kassian is great blah-blah blah but just not ready.

when will this organization understand that when you have a great competive team like ours, you can afford to add youngsters inthe lineup who are great for the budget too, live with their learning curve as an investment for the immediate future. other clubs do it!

i'm tired of the wellwoods, raymonds, rome, shaeffers, johnsons, alberts, glass, bernier, pettinger and the list goes on at the expense of a kassian, hodgson and bourdon's of the world...friggin play em regularily to know for sure that they stay or go!!!!

do you ever get the feeling these guys gillis and vigneault are only looking after themselves by playing washed up vets at the expense of youth?

A coach gets too much credit if the team wins and too much blame if it loses. Keep in mind that AV is one of seven coaches on this team and though he's the head guy, it's not like he does it all by himself. The team's failure in round one wasn't about coaching or externally motivating the players. By this time in the season, and in their careers, if motivation doesn't come from within, them nobody is going to give it to them. I really believe that the team was so focussed on redeeming themselves for losing to Boston that they were looking past LA. They seemed to play like they were expecting to win rather than putting in the hard work at both ends of the ice that got them through to the final last year. In the end, a coach is only as good as the team the GM hands him. Gillis may or may not have done the best job at assembling this team, but AV got them to another President's Trophy which is no easy feat in a league with such a high level of competition.

If you know of "a lot of people....;" name one. Who in the "game" quit because their friend passed away?

Friedman't co worker Scott Oake lost his son to a drug overdose, did CBC and Friedman report on national TV that Oake might quit?? Every person in their life loses family and friends. I've never heard of a professional sports GM quitting thier job because their friend passed away.

IMO this is a rediculous story that should not have been topic du jour on CBC Hot Stove. I watched the segment and wondered what possesed Friedman to talk about this.

How many ppl associated with the NHL will lose a family member or freind this year? I bet it will be more than a few, Do you expect these ppl to quit their jobs?

A coach gets too much credit if the team wins and too much blame if it loses. Keep in mind that AV is one of seven coaches on this team and though he's the head guy, it's not like he does it all by himself. The team's failure in round one wasn't about coaching or externally motivating the players. By this time in the season, and in their careers, if motivation doesn't come from within, them nobody is going to give it to them. I really believe that the team was so focussed on redeeming themselves for losing to Boston that they were looking past LA. They seemed to play like they were expecting to win rather than putting in the hard work at both ends of the ice that got them through to the final last year. In the end, a coach is only as good as the team the GM hands him. Gillis may or may not have done the best job at assembling this team, but AV got them to another President's Trophy which is no easy feat in a league with such a high level of competition.

I'd don't mind him staying, as long ask him to change (or more evolve). If I was Gillis I wouldn't go on the market and get Booth, Pahlsson, Higgins, Rome, Salo's type of players. Instead i'd force AV to use our young ones. Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Tanev, Gragnani, Connauton (maybe not all of them).

However, i'd like AV to go after the big names, Parise, Suter, Nash(if available), etc.

You canna teach an old dog new tricks they say .. AV is an old dog .. we need a new dynamic .. simple as that .. failure to change our coaching will lead to similar results .. good regular seasons followed by abject failure ..

ME! If I was a PLAYER I sure wouldn't trust Mike Gillis. Then again, I am not a player. According to MG himself, he has always encouraged the players to come into his office to speak with him so that everything would stay "behind closed doors". That's what I believe he said. Then when asked about Cody, what I believe he should have said is something like this: Cody is no longer part of this team and what happens between myself and Players stays behind closed doors. So, that subject is done. Next question. BUT NO, MG decides to talk about his so called "high maintenance" player yada yada yada. WOW! If I was a player I'd think twice about saying anything behind closed doors. So, did I think this year was MG's last - yup, I did. As far as AV goes, well I thought it would be his last too.

Ok I agree with you on his comment could have been better but who's perfect. The Man was asked that question at the deadline and probably been ask since that time . Its no different then Luongo saying I probably would of made that save after game 2 in the finals, Or the year before after getting knocked out by Chicago 5-1. At Least I didn't let in 7 goals.

Post is misleading. I just saw the segment by Friedman. Key words: "Gillis has not met with Aquilini yet".

Gillis and AVs contract expire at end of next yr. Rumors were that Gillis was stepping down due to his friends passing away and that he would not be trying to negotiate a new contract with Canucks. Friedman talked directly to Gillis today, Gillis refuted those reports saying he wants to come back. Friedmans exact words "I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the next little while an extension between him and the organization is brought up, if not this week when he meets with Francesco Aquilini".

Friedmans exact words when discussing Canucks coaching and Lu: "I just think they haven't decided yet, they haven't met with owner and Gillis. So I think that's why the coaching thing hasn't been decided. I don't think there's anybody expecting that AV is going to fired by Gillis . The expectation is, that he's going to be brought back".

So, form this segment we know for a fact:

- Gillis wants to come back. That's it.

People 'believe' Gillis wants to bring AV back, but those people don't hold the cards - they are not Aquilini. Just cause Gillis 'wants' to come back, doesn't mean they will let him.

I've said if before, Aquilinis a successful business man. He hasn't' become a successful business man in different sectors by staying status quo. He's going through a divorce right now. Divorces = substantial drop in wealth. Earliest exit in 4 yrs = substantial lost revenue. Personally, I can't see a way that he stays status quo. Same coach, same GM and same core players is staus quo. I see changes.

i suspect kaasian will start in the minors with coach v and he'll tell us kassian is great blah-blah blah but just not ready.

when will this organization understand that when you have a great competive team like ours, you can afford to add youngsters inthe lineup who are great for the budget too, live with their learning curve as an investment for the immediate future. other clubs do it!

i'm tired of the wellwoods, raymonds, rome, shaeffers, johnsons, alberts, glass, bernier, pettinger and the list goes on at the expense of a kassian, hodgson and bourdon's of the world...friggin play em regularily to know for sure that they stay or go!!!!

do you ever get the feeling these guys gillis and vigneault are only looking after themselves by playing washed up vets at the expense of youth?

Archived