The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal)Van/tbl

Sadly now with Luongo most likely leaving I've come to accept that my favorite goalie will most likely no longer be a Canuck.

I don't often post here in Proposals but here's a trade idea I thought of involving Luongo and a few major changes.

To Tampa Bay

Roberto Luongo (G)

Ryan Kesler ©

Mason Raymond (LW) - RFA Rights

Keith Ballard (D)

To Vancouver

Vincent Lecavalier ©

Victor Hedman (D)

Teddy Purcell (RW)

4th Round Pick

This trade switches things up for both teams, BIG TIME.

This would be the Canucks roster with those changes

2012-13 Vancouver Canucks

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Teddy Purcell ($2.363m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Dale Weise ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Sami Salo ($1.500m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.675m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,184,773; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $115,227

Other Moves: (Signings)

Sami Salo: $1.5M

Cory Schneider: $3.5M

Eddie Lack: $1.0M

Samuel Pahlsson: $2.2M

M.A. Gragnani: $0.675M

Dale Weise: $0.700M

To sum up the trade:

Roberto Luongo > Vincent Lecavalier

Ryan Kesler = Victor Hedman

Mason Raymond < Teddy Purcell

Keith Ballard > 4th Round Pick

=Pretty even. Could go slightly either way.

Ryan Kesler still got 22 goals in a season that was dominated by underachieving, and less goals, all while being injured/recuperating from invasive surgery, He is also young.

Don't trade Kesler, it would be the biggest mistake in Canucks history.

trade kesler? hahahahaha ..man that's funnY..you don't trade the future face of your franchise. as for lui, he's not going anywhere. i do however like raymond for purcell.

ballard for 4th round pick??????? is this av? :picard:

Overall I don't mind this trade. I'm not a huge fan of acquiring Lecavalier though. No he's not a BAD player, that's for sure, but the 7.7 million is a huge turn off in my mind.

On the other hand, I love the idea of trying to get Teddy Purcell

26 years old, 65 points this season (24 goals 41 assists) and a plus 9 on a non-playoff team. For the record- Stamkos, Purcell and Bergeron were the only "plus" players on that team that played more than half the season. Purcell was also quite good in the playoffs last year I thought- 17 points in 18 games.

I'm not too keen on trading Kes though. A year removed off a Selke trophy following hip surgery and a shoulder injury and he still got 22 goals. I think after a full summer he'll be back to around 30 next year, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I actually thought a second line combination of Booth-Kesler-Purcell would be nice.

If they could do something like Luongo, Raymond, Ballard (and maybe a pick) for Hedman and Purcell I'd be thrilled.

The common theme seems to be that they need another top 6 forward and a solid d-man. You address both those needs in this trade.

Why would you trade a guy who missed the whole pre-season because of surgery, a guy who won selke last season, for one of the most overpaid players in the league? Im confident he will come back strong next season.

If anything, I'd like to see Edler traded to Pittsburg. They need defence (and a goalie) and we need offence.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.666m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.300m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Matt Dumba ($0.900m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Sami Salo ($1.500m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.100m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,285,500; BONUSES: $125,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,014,500

If anything, I'd like to see Edler traded to Pittsburg. They need defence (and a goalie) and we need offence.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.666m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.300m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Matt Dumba ($0.900m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Sami Salo ($1.500m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.100m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,285,500; BONUSES: $125,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,014,500

Interesting,but tough. One rarely sees such significantmovement of salaries all at once. Also, I don't see Tampa Bay taking that. There are question marks about Kelser. First, he does not seem to have "chemistry" with anyone but Burrows -- but when they are paired together they become elite checking-line players instead of forming a scoring line. Second, the hip surgery limited his flexibility which compromised some of his strength and his ability to really lean into his shot, like he did a couple of years prior. I hope he can return to form as he is a dominant (if not the dominant) 2-way forward when healthy. ...just not sure Tampa would give that much for him and Luongo. A lot of people are overestimating what we can get for Luongo -- esp since we don't know who else will be on the market (could be lots of competition this year vs last year).

Unlikeliness of major swaps aside, I think Tampa would only consider Luongo, Kesler and Ballard for Lecavalier and Hedman and Vancouver may have to throw in a pick. I don't see Gillis going for that. I mean it could work out for Van, but if Kelser returns to form and Gillis finds a big-bodied play-making winger to go with him, we're better off not doing this.

Interesting,but tough. One rarely sees such significantmovement of salaries all at once. Also, I don't see Tampa Bay taking that. There are question marks about Kelser. First, he does not seem to have "chemistry" with anyone but Burrows -- but when they are paired together they become elite checking-line players instead of forming a scoring line. Second, the hip surgery limited his flexibility which compromised some of his strength and his ability to really lean into his shot, like he did a couple of years prior. I hope he can return to form as he is a dominant (if not the dominant) 2-way forward when healthy. ...just not sure Tampa would give that much for him and Luongo. A lot of people are overestimating what we can get for Luongo -- esp since we don't know who else will be on the market (could be lots of competition this year vs last year).

Unlikeliness of major swaps aside, I think Tampa would only consider Luongo, Kesler and Ballard for Lecavalier and Hedman and Vancouver may have to throw in a pick. I don't see Gillis going for that. I mean it could work out for Van, but if Kelser returns to form and Gillis finds a big-bodied play-making winger to go with him, we're better off not doing this.

Archived