The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metaphorical Balls

funkyfresh

1st topic wooo!!!!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment and talk about Mike Gillis and the lack of ballsy moves hes made (Sundin doesn't count). I think he is has been the best gm in Canucks history but I've only been watching hockey for about 7-8 years. The way I see it though is that Gillis has not put his own personal stamp on this team. I mean yes he has been able to sign players that make the team better but they are all complementary players that can be replaced by someone else. I hope he realizes he can not just maintain the team he inherited but actually needs to make it a Stanley Cup champion.

This brings me to my main point in that this off-season we will truly see what he is made of. There are players available, such as Rick Nash and possibly Zach Parise, that are complete game-changers. However, it is up to Gillis to make that push and make some true sacrifices to put the best line-up on the ice or simply go the safe route and keep trying to win with the current core of players.

I guess I'm just a bit tired of blaming injuries and reffing on the losses rather than just admitting that the team is not good enough. Yes it has been two years in row of winning the president's trophy but does that really represent how good this team is? We play in what is argued to be the worst division in the NHL.

My question is do you believe the Canucks need something BIG to happen this off-season or just some small changes to win the Stanley Cup?

1st topic wooo!!!!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment and talk about Mike Gillis and the lack of ballsy moves hes made (Sundin doesn't count). I think he is has been the best gm in Canucks history but I've only been watching hockey for about 7-8 years. The way I see it though is that Gillis has not put his own personal stamp on this team. I mean yes he has been able to sign players that make the team better but they are all complementary players that can be replaced by someone else. I hope he realizes he can not just maintain the team he inherited but actually needs to make it a Stanley Cup champion.

This brings me to my main point in that this off-season we will truly see what he is made of. There are players available, such as Rick Nash and possibly Zach Parise, that are complete game-changers. However, it is up to Gillis to make that push and make some true sacrifices to put the best line-up on the ice or simply go the safe route and keep trying to win with the current core of players.

I guess I'm just a bit tired of blaming injuries and reffing on the losses rather than just admitting that the team is not good enough. Yes it has been two years in row of winning the president's trophy but does that really represent how good this team is? We play in what is argued to be the worst division in the NHL.

My question is do you believe the Canucks need something BIG to happen this off-season or just some small changes to win the Stanley Cup?

Well in about a month or two we will be traind our 100 million dollar goalie.

Is that ballsy enough?

Trolling Luongo fans aside. I don't think we need to shake the core. Edler, Bieksa, and Kesler won't have a 2nd bad year. they're resting up and stewing over such embarrassing defeat.

I think we do not NEED a big change to win the cup, we can win it with the roster we have right now assuming they play better this year.

Although to increase our chances of winning the cup significantly, I would say that a big change would be ideal.

Signing Parise is just a start. IMO the best move MG can make this year is if he were to grab the 4th/3rd/2nd overall pick this year and draft Ryan Murray or more preferably snag Adam Larsson.

The one piece that this team is missing that would really put this team over the top is a an all-star defensive defenseman (We already have an all-star offensive defenseman in Edler)

Well in about a month or two we will be traind our 100 million dollar goalie.

Is that ballsy enough?

Trolling Luongo fans aside. I don't think we need to shake the core. Edler, Bieksa, and Kesler won't have a 2nd bad year. they're resting up and stewing over such embarrassing defeat.

lol. I completely agree that they will be better but the problem I have is that I think they need just one more player whether it be from free-agent signing or trade to put them over the top. Most analysts had Vancouver going to the finals this year but it never amounted to anything because the team couldn't overcome the loss of Daniel. If they had that one player who could step up and make a difference it would have changed everything because the games were so close it would have only taken 1 goal to shift the momentum.

I don't understand, what are you saying? If your saying that these three players will be on our team next season then I think just getting Hedman in a Canucks jersey would definitely involve some tough decisions and I would consider it a BIG change.

Give your head a shake.

Gillis hasn't made a ballsy move since Sundin. Even that didn't take much testicular fortitude because it was only a 1 year signing, not a trade.

It takes some grape fruits to trade big contract players and shake things up, Gillis hasn't done this yet.

1st topic wooo!!!!

Most big changes means a sign of desperation. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't. I'm not sure who people are considering to be moved, but the moves for Booth and Ballard seem to be a couple that people have just ignored. If people are expecting deals to get Rick Nash or Jerome Iginla, those deals just aren't that simple to make. I prefer if Gillis makes more deals to get players like Higgins and Lapierre instead of making major changes that could cripple a team.

Archived