The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metaphorical Balls

funkyfresh

I will agree in the idea that a star forward addition to this team would be awesome, however it isn't necessary in my opinion. Our lineup is still incredible all the way through. I have a few lines and reasons for the lines below:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Next season, the Sedin's will still be the Sedin's. They are like magic on ice and they will continue to be 2 of the top 10 players in the league. Burr had the second best season of his career next year and definitely deserves to be the gritty line mate of the Sedin's come the 2012-2013 season.

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

This line would be the most key to the lineup in my opinion. The secondary scoring is such a huge part of today's NHL, and that's exactly what this line would be for. Kesler will have an entire summer to return to Selke-form, Booth and Kesler will have the summer to work on their chemistry (which is VERY important), and Higgins seems to mesh well with anyone. They could be used as not only secondary scoring but also as a shut down line, as all three guys are very gritty and can get in anyone's face.

Raymond-Pahlsson-Hansen

The third line is pretty self-explanatory. Hansen and Raymond possess immense speed and have good eyes for the puck defensively. And, there is no better shut down forward on our roster than Pahlsson. This line at its best could shut down any first line in the league. Only possible move I'd make is finding someone other than Raymond. I'm not a Raymond hater, but I kind of feel like he's on the decline. However, after the injury he sustained, its fair to give him this off season and see how he comes out next year.

Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

This line is a very solid unit that is unique to other fourth lines. They bring grit, tenacity, and anger to the opposition, but the bigger difference between this fourth line compared to others is that this one can score, and score often. Kassian has incredible hands for a man of his size and has good vision. His dangles sometimes lead to turnovers but he can just as easily turn those into big plays with some off season training. Malhotra has been a great player for us for years and is a key face off man. He or Lappy can take draws in the offensive or defensive zones. This line injects life into the team usually, as they always give 110%. We just have to develop Kassian properly, and we could have an extremely dangerous fourth line.

As for the defense, I honestly am happy with what we have.

Salo and Edler

Salo is getting a little old, but with a young Tanev in the lineup we may be able to replace him quicker than we thought. Until then, he's going to keep being a key part to this roster. As for Edler, it appeared as though he was off come playoff time this season, but that doesn't mean he isn't a superstar anymore. He had a rough go, which happens to every player. I'm not about to give up on him.

Hamhuis and Bieksa

These guys are a perfect pair in my opinion. Shut down D, the odd goal from the point here and there. They do it all. They defend their teammates and play for others. I would change this pair whatsoever.

Ballard and Tanev

They are a pair that could become our most valuable if they can develop their own zone defense fully. They are both good puck movers, and with a little work can be just as dangerous of scoring threat as our forwards.

As far as goaltending goes, I'm not even going there.

Schneider

Lack

I don't care who is in net, if it is Lu, Schneids or Eddie, we have great goaltending. Period.

I will agree in the idea that a star forward addition to this team would be awesome, however it isn't necessary in my opinion. Our lineup is still incredible all the way through. I have a few lines and reasons for the lines below:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Next season, the Sedin's will still be the Sedin's. They are like magic on ice and they will continue to be 2 of the top 10 players in the league. Burr had the second best season of his career next year and definitely deserves to be the gritty line mate of the Sedin's come the 2012-2013 season.

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

This line would be the most key to the lineup in my opinion. The secondary scoring is such a huge part of today's NHL, and that's exactly what this line would be for. Kesler will have an entire summer to return to Selke-form, Booth and Kesler will have the summer to work on their chemistry (which is VERY important), and Higgins seems to mesh well with anyone. They could be used as not only secondary scoring but also as a shut down line, as all three guys are very gritty and can get in anyone's face.

Raymond-Pahlsson-Hansen

The third line is pretty self-explanatory. Hansen and Raymond possess immense speed and have good eyes for the puck defensively. And, there is no better shut down forward on our roster than Pahlsson. This line at its best could shut down any first line in the league. Only possible move I'd make is finding someone other than Raymond. I'm not a Raymond hater, but I kind of feel like he's on the decline. However, after the injury he sustained, its fair to give him this off season and see how he comes out next year.

Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

This line is a very solid unit that is unique to other fourth lines. They bring grit, tenacity, and anger to the opposition, but the bigger difference between this fourth line compared to others is that this one can score, and score often. Kassian has incredible hands for a man of his size and has good vision. His dangles sometimes lead to turnovers but he can just as easily turn those into big plays with some off season training. Malhotra has been a great player for us for years and is a key face off man. He or Lappy can take draws in the offensive or defensive zones. This line injects life into the team usually, as they always give 110%. We just have to develop Kassian properly, and we could have an extremely dangerous fourth line.

As for the defense, I honestly am happy with what we have.

Salo and Edler

Salo is getting a little old, but with a young Tanev in the lineup we may be able to replace him quicker than we thought. Until then, he's going to keep being a key part to this roster. As for Edler, it appeared as though he was off come playoff time this season, but that doesn't mean he isn't a superstar anymore. He had a rough go, which happens to every player. I'm not about to give up on him.

Hamhuis and Bieksa

These guys are a perfect pair in my opinion. Shut down D, the odd goal from the point here and there. They do it all. They defend their teammates and play for others. I would change this pair whatsoever.

Ballard and Tanev

They are a pair that could become our most valuable if they can develop their own zone defense fully. They are both good puck movers, and with a little work can be just as dangerous of scoring threat as our forwards.

As far as goaltending goes, I'm not even going there.

Schneider

Lack

I don't care who is in net, if it is Lu, Schneids or Eddie, we have great goaltending. Period.

The way AV's system works is defense first, and opening up offensive chances via strong defensive zone play. Since our defensemen aren't always great at creating turnovers and clearing the zone properly, we sometimes lose those chances.

Personally, I think AV should go. Teams are just way too familiar with his system now, and he shows no sign of mixing it up at all.

1st topic wooo!!!!

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment and talk about Mike Gillis and the lack of ballsy moves hes made (Sundin doesn't count). I think he is has been the best gm in Canucks history but I've only been watching hockey for about 7-8 years. The way I see it though is that Gillis has not put his own personal stamp on this team. I mean yes he has been able to sign players that make the team better but they are all complementary players that can be replaced by someone else. I hope he realizes he can not just maintain the team he inherited but actually needs to make it a Stanley Cup champion.

This brings me to my main point in that this off-season we will truly see what he is made of. There are players available, such as Rick Nash and possibly Zach Parise, that are complete game-changers. However, it is up to Gillis to make that push and make some true sacrifices to put the best line-up on the ice or simply go the safe route and keep trying to win with the current core of players.

I guess I'm just a bit tired of blaming injuries and reffing on the losses rather than just admitting that the team is not good enough. Yes it has been two years in row of winning the president's trophy but does that really represent how good this team is? We play in what is argued to be the worst division in the NHL.

My question is do you believe the Canucks need something BIG to happen this off-season or just some small changes to win the Stanley Cup?

I wasn't aware of his contract when I made that comment. I've been informed though. Lol. I should have worded what I meant a bit better too. Anyone can play with the Sedins and score 20-30 goals, and there are other forwards on the team who are two way forwards, but if the Canucks want to get someone of value they may have to give up someone of value. However, since Burrows is such a steal, then I wouldn't give him up.

"ballsy" basically means "risky", which means there is a chance of it failing, and hurting the canucks badly.

I think gillis has done a pretty good job, and not making risky trades/acquisitions is not necessarily a bad thing

It was a 2 yr deal, $20M total. In other words the dumbest deal he could have possibly offered. Thank the Lord Sundin was more interested in playing poker and only hosed him for 1/2 a season and $5M. Just because you have cap space doesn't mean you piss it away.

The Devil's did just what you suggest 2y ago in getting Kovalchuk and subsequently had one of the worst years in franchise history. Bold, "put-my-stamp-on-the-team", moves are not necessarily the answer. Granted, they are still in the playoffs this year, but it's not due to his play.

He got lucky there. If Sundin had accepted the offer as-is, the Canucks would have had his cap hit for one more year at $10M, even if he retired at the end of the one year (35+ contract).

The Sedins were UFA at the end of the season Sundin played. Do you think the Canucks could have afforded to offer them the contracts they did if they were on the hook for $10M for Sundin?

Archived