The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Changes I'd Like To See In The Nhl

nwo

1. 3 points for a win

2. Top 4 playoff seeds should be able to pick who they want to play. So 1st seed chooses 1st, then 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gets the last one. Too muh parity in the league and home ice means nothing nowadays.

3. No more instigator rule.

4. Less regular season games maybe around 70.

What sort of changes would you like to see?

In an ideal world, I would like to see:

- 1 big league (no conferences or divisions)

- each teams plays the other teams an equal number of games (1 home and 1 away = 58 games)

- team with most points win the league and the main championship - this way each game of the season is meaningful and the final games are even more meaningful... and you also don't have teams that sleep through the season and break out in the last few weeks (in my opinion, an unfair situation to let these teams (e.g. Kings) have a better chance in championship than teams that have worked hard all year)

- to have the fun of the playoff system, we would have a playoff system that every team plays in.. maybe a best of 3 series, which is played throughout the season, with the aim of the final game to be towards the end of the season (# of games anywhere from 2 games if you lose both games in the first round, to 6-series of 3 games each = 18 games if you go all the way).

- the cup championship would be of lesser importance than the league championship simply due to more "luck" involved in shorter series and who you get drawn against.

This is similar to the Europoean soccer leagues, and is the fairest system I can think of. For teams that are good, they aim to win the league championship, and for teams that aren't good and don't have a chance to win the league championship, there is the playoff cup to hope for, and also, in the era of parity and salary cap, they should just try to get better and win the league! (so unlike the European soccer leagues, you won't have rich teams dominate the league titles.. so even better for NHL to adopt that system!)

1 - Agreed

2 - Don't agree. Playoff matchups should be determined by seeds, plain and simple.

3 - Agreed

4 - As good as I think that would be for the players and the game, it will never happen. I always thought 72 was a good amount of games.

A couple of my own...

Start the season on Labour Day. Sure you would have a short summer for one year, but then the Stanley Cup could be presented in May instead of June.

Increase the draft age by one year. This would work in conjunction with a new CBA. The draft would be less of a crap shoot if they weren't drafting quite so young. The league really missed an opportunity when they lost a season a few years ago.

Follow through on the realignment. I liked the way the league and the regular season was going to look. I also liked the playoffs, except I think it needed some sort of crossover rule to address the unbalanced divisions.

Axe re-entry waivers. It makes sense to have waivers for when a guy is sent to the minors. If your team doesn't have a roster spot for the guy, maybe someone else does. But re-entry doesn't make sense. You have a roster spot for him, but someone else can scoop him up? I never liked that rule.

Make the cap hit be the actual salary for that year. The loophole where teams can add extra years they know the player will never play just to get the average salary down is counter productive to having a salary cap.

Go back to white at home, dark on the road. I always thought it was better that way.

Change the puck-over-the-glass rule to be more like icing. No line-change, faceoff in your own zone. The 2 minute penalty is a little too severe.

Have players still serve their penalty even if a goal is scored on the delayed call. Just because you got scored on shouldn't negate the penalty call.

Go back to making players sit for their entire 2 minute penalty. That will help increase scoring and maybe make guys think twice before taking a dumb penalty.

That's all I can think of right now...

A penalty in the reg season should be the same as the playoffs, other wise why watch the reg season just to see the game officiated differently in the playoffs?

Also draft lottery, why reward a team for being crappy with the no 1 overall pick? at least onl;y let them have a chance at it every 5 years....say they are like edmonton, get the first pick overall, and if they are still the crappiest team in the league the next year they can only go as high as 5th overall....losing to win is a lazy way to do it....just saying

I'll add this one:

ILLEGAL DEFENSE RULE (I.e ban the trap)

A bench minor (Then major if they do it twice in a game) assessed to any team who does not press the play in the offensive zone.

Basically, make it illegal to hang out in the neutral zone waiting for turnovers.

I'll add this one:

ILLEGAL DEFENSE RULE (I.e ban the trap)

A bench minor (Then major if they do it twice in a game) assessed to any team who does not press the play in the offensive zone.

Basically, make it illegal to hang out in the neutral zone waiting for turnovers.

Most important change in my opinion are changes that make the regular season more meaningful and impactful:

- top 2 seeds get a bye, seed 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.

OR

- top seed gets home ice AND start the seires being up 1 win (i.e. series would have max of 6 games, with the higher seed only needing 3 wins instead of 4)

To fix the issue of "uneven divisions", you would take out the divisions, and each team would play each other conference team 4 times. That reduces total games played by only 8, and no one can complain about "easier/harder" divisions.

These would be to make teams want to be the top seeds more than just getting almost impactless home ice.

2. Top 4 playoff seeds should be able to pick who they want to play. So 1st seed chooses 1st, then 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gets the last one. Too muh parity in the league and home ice means nothing nowadays.

Long ago I played lacrosse for 8 years or so and rule was then that playing a zone defense in your own end was illegal, unless you were killing a penalty. Sometimes I wish the NHL would take a look at that. I'm getting kind of sick of all these "collapsing box" defensive teams where you end up essentially playing against 5 goalies and a blue-line floater/goal-suck. The NHL wonders where their goal scoring has gone and I think that might open it up a bit.

if a tie at end of regulation the following

1. 1 overtime period - no shootout

consequences

a. If overtime ends in a tie each team 1pt

b. If one team wins in overtime 2pts

c. If loss in overtime 0 points, makes teams try harder because points will be harder to come by. No more 2nd place consolation points, having a shootout every othe game has made that play less and less exciting to watch even when its a penalty shot and tbh alot of crappy teams who are good on the shootout will just play trap if they are in a tie just so they can get to shootouts. This way everyone plays to win.

Make trap illegal

take out instigator rule

Hybrid Icing rule implemented

Draft lottery is fully random with any team getting a chance to get any pick , the higher in overall standings you finished the lower your chance of getting a top pick etc

Drop the OTL point.

Shootout wins worth only 1 point.

Implement hybrid icing.

Suspensions/fines for dangerous plays do not consider the resulting injury of the play.

Drop division seeds.

Include all teams in the draft lottery, winner moves to #1 regardless of where they were. Presidents Trophy winner has a higher chance to win, everyone else is equal.

Archived