The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doctors Unhappy About Mcdonald's Being Sponsor For London Olympics

To stop impressionable children from starting smoking. Don't you know that in Canada, all types of smoking ads are banned and even retail displays are not allowed (they must be hidden from plain sight of customers)?

Now its the UK we are talking about but the problem with smokers wreaking havoc on the public healthcare budget is a problem there too.

Its a lot harder to ban these ads because it isn't so black and white with fast food as it is with smoking. McDonalds does have some healthy things on the menu. There is no such thing as health smoking though and of course smoking is not essential to survival. Fast food companies would also find ways to get around it unless all advertising for any food is banned.

I would rather the government slap fat taxes on unhealthy food and use the money in healthcare to pay for the people who need treatment of these people who get sick from eating unhealthy foods on a regular basis.

Definitely agree with you. But McDonald's "healthy" foods aren't really healthy. Their salads are still filled with fat (from the dressing), their apple slices have caramel dipping, etc. So people still fall victim to faulty advertising.

I wish they'd do that, seriously. But fast food companies would probably find some way to repeal it, with all the money they have and the power of their legal staff.

McDonalds really isn't that bad for people. A Big Mac meal with a diet soda has 800-900 calories in it. This is far less than most reastaurant meals.

The apple slices and dip have 100 calories. The salads range from 450 calories to 40 calories.

http://www1.mcdonald...tionFactsEN.pdf

McDonalds only causes obesity if you overindulge: People who supersize and order multiple meals at once or who eat there way too often.

Really? Hm, probably after all the criticism they've received? I mean, they have been blamed for basically causing obesity among many people in North America, so if they're trying to get healthier good for them. Have you seen Super Size Me though? I haven't touched McD's since. I've had friends who've worked there before too, and apparently the 100% Real Canadian Beef is actually a brand of "beef" owned by McDonald's.. might just be a rumour though. Regardless, it's still bad for you.

Pretty sure anyone that sells you food has to disclose not only the ingreadients but for a while now the nutrional information. They and all other companies are of course obliged to obey the law.

And of course eating nothing but McDonalds is unhealty. Do you really need to watch a movie to know that? The same would be true of just about anything.

Keep in mind that before Walmart McDonalds was THE big villian of the left bankrupting all those mom and pop restaurants with their cheap food and labour. Old habits are hard to break and it's bad form to not have a serious hate on for the evil presence of McDonalds.

Why I don't get is the need to go beyond simply not eating there if you don't like it. As it turns out I don't like Walmart (mostly because it's ghetto) but I don't feel the need to try to run it out of town!

They do try their best to hide the nutritional info though, you usually have to ask or it's on the underside of the sheets they place on the trays. Obviously it wasn't just the movie, it's common sense. But that movie brought it to the attention of a lot of people. The point is, McD's is addictive and people can't seem to stop which is why people start getting obese.

I'm not trying to shoot it down or anything, nor am I against it. It would be impossible to stop people from eating McDonald's. Like I said, I don't have a problem with them sponsoring the Olympics. I'm just saying that it's far from healthy, and to fall for their "healthy options" would be falling prey to consumerism and deceptive advertising imo

Hide the nutritional info? Do you really think people who go to McDonalds and buy their food believe they're getting a well balanced diet? When has McDonalds even asserted that it's food has any sort of high nutritional value?

You have no idea what you're talking about. People know quite well that they are mostly getting junk, high fat, high calorie, high cholesterol food. Obesity doesn't happen merely by eating McDonalds, but eating a large volume of the stuff combined with poor physical activity/fitness. I don't care much about the movies like Super Size Me that criticize McDonalds, I already know eating McDonalds is eating sh*t food, no one eats there for nutrition, they eat there because the food tastes good. The inability of one's self to moderate the type of food they eat is not a problem McDonalds is at fault for any more than a supermarket is at fault for selling beer (US/Alberta), soda, and high sugar/sodium/fat food, or a sports venue like Rogers Arena is for selling beer and junk food. The presumption that people are stupid and don't know what they're buying is itself a stupid move, and the push to use government to further regulate these businesses in a preventative fashion from them advertising by sponsoring events like the Olympics is a poor attempt at social control, not something that will help fix issues with obesity.

People were arguing that McDonald's has healthy options and that it was the law to provide nutritional information, my argument was directed to that. If you go to any McDonald's, it's obvious that they try their best to hide their nutritional info even if it is the law to provide it. People know what they're eating, yes, but that doesn't omit the fact that it's still crap you're putting in your body. I understand that it is obviously not that sole cause of obesity, but it does play a large factor into it. I never said that I had a problem with them sponsoring the Olympics, in fact if you read my posts earlier in this thread I stated that I don't see a problem with it. As someone else said, it's easier to blame the corporations than the public, and I do believe that lack of self-control is the main factor. I was simply arguing with others who believe that McDonald's provides "healthy options" and "isn't that fattening".

You don't consume oil with your body, it isn't harmful to you. It's kinda hard not to purchase oil when so many things in our world require it in order to operate. It makes no difference if they sponsor the Olympics imo, we're still destroying our environment.

They do provide other options, like salads, few if any people go there to eat those healthier options -- more credence to the notion that people are aware of the fact that McDonalds is not seen as a substitute for a well balanced diet, and don't care. They go there for good tasting food as mentioned before by other posters, not healthy food.

To the bold, I have no idea why you said it doesn't omit the fact that it's crap.. it isn't as if I'm asserting otherwise.

Archived