The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] New Jersey (No Goalies) + Hurricanes

New Jersey

Mason Raymond (rights)

Vancouver

Mark Fayne (rights).

Fayne is a 25 year old 6'3 215 lb defenseman. Played his 2nd year this year in Jersey and had a decent year. Likely going to have trouble cracking the top 4 in New Jersey.

This trade gives Vancouver a young defenseman who can compete with Tanev/Gragnani for icetime but has top 4 potential. New Jersey gets a young top 6 tweener who could play on lines 2-3 for New Jersey.

Carolina

Keith Ballard

5th Round Pick

Vancouver

Chad Larose

Jay Harrison

Carolina is running thin on top 4 d-men going into next year, and with a weak free agent class (as well as not being a desirable location for free agents). Keith Ballard is a good buy low candidate.

Would get a chance to play top 4 minutes in Carolina and would likely revert to his pre-Vancouver playing ability.

Vancouver gets a 3rd liner who can consistently put up 30 points and play physical (sort of like Hansen/Higgins) as well as a veteran guy who can log upwards of 20 minutes a game.

At the end of the day our bottom pairings look like

Garrison Fayne (5-6)

Gragnani Tanev (7-8)

(assuming we bring in a top 4 RH d-man).

Maybe, not bad for the first deal; but then again I'd rather the team just sign Sheldon Brookbank for the 3rd pairing D role once Tanev gets bumped up, Sheldon was +11 on a pretty bad Ducks team.

Garrison is not in Carolina. He's a Panther in Florida. Also would rather not bank on Larose when this team already has pretty competent 3rd line energy wingers. Would much rather invest on Kesler's play maker.

Maybe, not bad for the first deal; but then again I'd rather the team just sign Sheldon Brookbank for the 3rd pairing D role once Tanev gets bumped up, Sheldon was +11 on a pretty bad Ducks team.

Garrison is not in Carolina. He's a Panther in Florida. Also would rather not bank on Larose when this team already has pretty competent 3rd line energy wingers. Would much rather invest on Kesler's play maker.

I'm all for getting Chad LaRose here (which i'm mentioned numerous times), so i'd do the Carolina one in a heartbeat. The NJ one seems alright too, but i'm not too sure where we would put Fayne. With trading Ballard, and if Salo retires, then i could see him being a 5th or 6th d-man... otherwise, he could be a consistant healthy scratch, or could be with the Wolves more then with the Canucks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized in retrospect how much I am a fan of these deals for Harrison and Fayne to fix the back end, even though their size isn't used to their full advantage at times they can be really effective pieces to have.

Even with Salo gone this is pretty decent:

Hammer - Juice

Edler - Fayne

Harrison - Tanev

Wouldn't mind it either if Larose frees Hansen to take more offensive responsibilities on the 2nd line if no play maker is signed.

Twins - Booth

Burr - Kes - Hansen

Higgins - (Stoll?) - Larose

if necessary/ if Hansen doesn't cut it Higgins can slot up and Jannik back down, or better yet if Schroeder's ready he can move in

Archived