The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Teemu's Team 2012-2013

Okay, so I am feeling a little bored this morning and decided to make one of these crazy 2012-2013 roster hopeful threads.

Here it goes.

The first line is set with the Sedins & Burrows.

The 2nd line definitely needs a playmaker to be setting up David Booth & Ryan Kesler. Preferably it would be a left-winger (because Booth looked better on the RW most of the year) who could also play a puck possesion style game if the Sedins & Burrows get cold and the coach needs to change up the lines.

So the idea:

Sign Kristian Huselius one a 1 year/3.8 million dollar contract. His value is definitely down due to injuries and coming to play in Vancouver would definitely give him the best option to increase his contract value. From the Canucks perspective they get a good player trying to prove himself. Kristian isn't really a physical player, but he doesn't get pushed around easily and has a big enough frame @ 6'2/185 pounds.

The third line will feature Higgins & Hansen regardless. The center position? After seeing Max Lapierre's offensive potential near the end of the season and the chemistry he has shown with Higgins in the past as well as his defensive abilities, the role would probably go to him. So, the top-9 would be set as:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Huselius - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

The 4th line? Manny Malhotra is definitely a main-stay, and will continue to be the LWer who takes draws on his strong side.

Malhotra - _______ - ______

Zack Kassian will be sent down to start the year on the Wolves and get some important ice-time.

That leaves 2 positions on the 4th line.

Personally, I was very impressed with Pahlsson's game. He does all the little things right and is definitely a competitor. Even in the disappointing 1st-round exit I thought Sammy played a strong game.

Idea: re-sign Pahlsson on a 2 year contract. The first year @ 2.25 million and the second year @ 1.75 million for a cap hit of 2.

As for the RW position there are two candidates that I would love to see signed: Aaron Asham and Jordin Tootoo.

The preferred candidate would be Tootoo who has completely transformed his game and his lifestyle since getting off the alcohol train. The guy can throw huge hits as well as put up points when needed. He doesn't have the biggest frame, but he's definitely a heavy body and isn't easily pushed off the puck.

Idea: sign Tootoo on a 3 year contract with salaries of: 2, 2.5 and 3. For a cap hit of 3. If that fails, to sign Asham on a 2 year/2 million dollar deal with a cap hit of 1 million.

So, the 4th line would be set as: Malhotra - Pahlsson - Tootoo (or Asham).

The 13th forward position should be filled by somebody like Ebbett or Tambo who can be physical enough to play on the 4th line OR play a good enough offensive game to play in the top-6. My choice would be Johnathan Cheechoo. He is still only 4 years removed from a 20+ goal season and had a pretty good year in the AHL this year. He'll never be the player he once was, but as a depth player he could probably be pretty useful. Sign Cheechoo on a 1 year/1 one-way deal of 525,000.

Forwards set:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Tootoo/Asham

Cheechoo

Defense:

The first move would be to re-sign Sami Salo who said earlier in the year he definitely wants to play "somewhere" next year. He was relatively healthy this year and is definitely a loyal player. GMMG will match the contract offer of last year and sign Sami at 1 year/2 million.

Which makes the defense look like this:

Edler - ______

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Salo

Tanev, Alberts, Gragnani

This is where I think the most overhauling could be done. With Luongo likely to be traded, Ballard having too high of a cap hit for his role, Salo aging and some more offense needed from the back-end there could be some opportunity here.

Trade idea 1:

To NYI: Keith Ballard

To Vancouver: A 3rd round pick 2013 + A 5th round pick 2014

I am a Ballard fan, but like I said, his cap hit is too high for the role he plays. It just isn't very good cap management to keep him. NYI will need a defenseman desperately and this is a pretty good price for a defenseman who has shown in the past to be solid.

Trade idea 2:

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond

To Vancouver: Luke Schenn + Ty Biggs + a 2nd round pick 2012 + a 4th round pick 2012

After moving Aulie for Ashton, the Leafs might be willing to move their other top powerforward prospect in Ty Biggs who is often praised for his leadership qualities and adds to the mantra of Gillis' adding heavy wingers. Luke Schenn is the super physical, big bodied right-sided defenseman that would balance out Edler well and is on a fair contract for a top-4 defenseman (cap hit of 3.6 million). These two trades also stock up some draft picks for Gillis.

This leaves the defense at:

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Gragnani - Salo

Tanev, Alberts

Tanev is getting to the point where he is too good to be a 7th defenseman, but with Salo's age the Canucks could probably slot him in pretty regurlarly. Gragnani didn't get much of a shot this year, but did show glimpses of offensive brilliance, playing on the bottom pairing with a reliable veteran such as Salo should be perfect for his game.

Goaltending:

After Schneider's performance this year, there is no question in my mind that he is ready to be a starter. Although playing over 55 games might be a little overwhelming for him, so signing a reliable back-up will be key.

Idea 1: re-sign Cory Schneider on a 4 year/3.31 million dollar contract. (2, 3, 4, 4.25).

Idea 2: reliable backup. There are a few good FA options out there, including Martin Biron, Brent Johnson, Al Montoya, Johan Hedberg, Jonas Guvstafsson and Tomas Vokoun. Eddie Lack is nearly ready, but I think GMMG will have him spend one more year in the AHL. Because of Lack being only 1 year away, I think bringing back Johan Hedberg would be the best option. At 39 last year he showed he still has game and would probably be the only goalie from that list happy with a 1 year contract. The idea would be to sign him on a 1 year/1 million dollar contract.

Making the final line-up:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Tootoo

Cheechoo

Wolves extras: Kassian, Sweatt, Schroeder, Rodin, Friesen and probably 1 or 2 UFA signings on two-way contracts.

Edler - Schenn

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Gragnani - Salo

Tanev, Alberts

Wolves extras: Connauton, Sauve, Polasek, Corrado, Baumer

Schneider

Hedberg

Wolves extras: Lack, Cannata

Estimated cap hit of: 65.22. That leaves ample cap space for a mid-season fix if needed. This is with Tootoo's cap hit of 3, if Asham was signed it would likely be around 63 million in total. With Huselius, Malhotra, Burrows, Higgins, Lapierre, Edler Salo and Hebderg all coming off the books a year later, it would give GMMG lots of flexibility that summer to change things in a bigger way if this team doesn't have a good run. Plus, Shea Weber might be an UFA at that point.

Coaching staff:

IMO AV has done a lot for this franchise and helped a lot of players reach their potentials. Unfortunately, I don't think he has the ability to take the team to the next level. Same can be said for Therrien in Pittsburgh and Savard in Chitown before they won their cups.

GMMG and MacTavish are friends and MacT has shown he is a good coach this year with the Wolves. He used to get Edmonton fired up at key times, and playing way above their capacity. He coached them as far as AV coached the Canucks, but he has never had the opportunity to coach a team as solid as the Canucks and I think he is exactly what they need.

Head coach: Craig MacTavish

As for assistant coaches, there would probably be two again. If I were GM I would keep Newell Brown around. The PP sucked fumes against L.A., but he DID create the number 1 PP the year before and managed to keep the Canucks near the top for most of the year despite losing Ehrhoff. I think he is a good coach and will rebound and retool next year.

Assistant coach 1: Newell Brown

The 2nd assistant coach probably wouldn't be Karl Taylor or Bill Moores, MacT's two latest assistant coaches. I don't think they would be the best fits. I think Bowness would have to go, because he & AV have a close relationship and keeping him wouldn't give the idea a fresh enough identity. I'm not sure if I know the perfect candidate for this role, because it will probably rely heavily on what MacT is feeling. However, a month ago GMMG brought Arniel back into the system. He was great with the Moose and I think it is hard to blame him for the woes in CBJ. So,

Assistant coach 2: Scott Arniel

Goalie coach: Rollie Melanson

Melanson should stick around as both goalies played well last year and Schneider clearly responds to him well.

Schenn and Biggs is a steep price for Luongo, I dont think they will add the picks on top of that. I also think you are pretty much stuck with Ballard, unless you will be willing to deal him to a team who has equally bad contract they want to offload.

Schenn and Biggs is a steep price for Luongo, I dont think they will add the picks on top of that. I also think you are pretty much stuck with Ballard, unless you will be willing to deal him to a team who has equally bad contract they want to offload.

I like a lot of this.

Well thought out proposal. You clearly have a lot of hockey knowledge.

Personally, I don't think Huselius should be depended upon to fill such an important role. I agree that he could very well want to play in Vancouver to turn his career around and prove he is still a valuable hockey player and that could make him a "moneyball" kind of signing. Maybe one year at 2.5 and find another potential top 6 player elsewhere?

Same thing with Schenn getting top pairing minutes. You do keep Salo so I guess we could potentially start the year with the same top 4 and see if either Schenn or Tanev can steal a job. I would sign one other veteran defenseman like Adrian Aucoin to be a mentor on the bottom pairing.

Basically, great proposal but I would want Gillis to find some insurance players in case Huselius and/or Schenn don't pan out like you hoped. Maybe a Stempniak or David Jones or Alexei Ponikarovsky as well as an Adrian Aucoin or Zanon or Salvador on the back end. A couple more depth signings to compete with your guys for spots. Who knows if these guys will want to sign with that kind of job uncertainty or if we would have the cap space but it would make me feel a lot safer going into next season.

Very well thought out. Tootoo would be amazing on the fourth line. Not really confident that Huselius can stay healthy though.

Also, if Schroeder, Jensen, and Kassian need another year to develop, what about signing Paul Gaustad and Chris Kelly to play 3rd/4th line minutes?

Gaustad: 1 year @ $1,300,000

Kelly: 1 year @ $1,500,000

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Huselius

Malhotra - Gaustad - Kelly

Not too shabby.

What a well thought out proposal. I like the look of that lineup, but if Salo is going to be re-signed, I feel he'll play a VERY limited amount because Tanev really established himself. Plus, we'll need him and his bomb of a shot fully rested for the playoffs. Huselius is a player I also felt could be successful on our second line. Plus, it adds to the Swedish Connection B)

I like a lot of this.

Well thought out proposal. You clearly have a lot of hockey knowledge.

Personally, I don't think Huselius should be depended upon to fill such an important role. I agree that he could very well want to play in Vancouver to turn his career around and prove he is still a valuable hockey player and that could make him a "moneyball" kind of signing. Maybe one year at 2.5 and find another potential top 6 player elsewhere?

Same thing with Schenn getting top pairing minutes. You do keep Salo so I guess we could potentially start the year with the same top 4 and see if either Schenn or Tanev can steal a job. I would sign one other veteran defenseman like Adrian Aucoin to be a mentor on the bottom pairing.

Basically, great proposal but I would want Gillis to find some insurance players in case Huselius and/or Schenn don't pan out like you hoped. Maybe a Stempniak or David Jones or Alexei Ponikarovsky as well as an Adrian Aucoin or Zanon or Salvador on the back end. A couple more depth signings to compete with your guys for spots. Who knows if these guys will want to sign with that kind of job uncertainty or if we would have the cap space but it would make me feel a lot safer going into next season.

Really like this proposal. I was wishing Biggs would fall to the canucks last year. I dont know about Lappy as 3rd line C though i'd really like it if the Canucks would pay the price and bring in a premier guy there like Kelly or Stoll if it was possible.

Really like this proposal. I was wishing Biggs would fall to the canucks last year. I dont know about Lappy as 3rd line C though i'd really like it if the Canucks would pay the price and bring in a premier guy there like Kelly or Stoll if it was possible.

Archived