The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should The Canucks Have Traded For Mike Richards? Did We Miss Out?

MikeGillis58

I'd rather have a player that can enjoy his time off the ice partying and rip it up when the games count (playoffs) rather than someone who sits home all day on off days and plays average during games/playoff games.

It really would have been nice to trade for Richards but of course in our scenario with the cap issue it would have been very difficult for the other party to be satisfied with the assets going their way.

IF we had Richards though...oh man. 2nd line center with Kes on the right wing. Beauty.

Also for those of you saying "Why would you want Kesler moved to the wing, he's a center", Kesler played on the Right Wing at times at Ohio state. He also played RW with Sundin and was very successful at it.

It drives me nuts when people suggest we put Kesler on the wing. It is like suggesting people put Toews or Datsyuk on the wings, "because they can then focus only on scoring". These are not 1-dimensional guys. Rather, they're the most reliable defensive players in the league, and they're all really good at taking faceoffs. MG58, it's not personal, but you armchair GM all the time so I don't know why you'd suggest this. It's madness to take one of the league's best defensive centres (last year's top guy, mind you) out of his natural position. Simply put, it is NOT worth the extra 10 goals and 10 assists he'll get.

In relation to your proposal, it's crazy to put the less reliable centre there. Unless he's improved, he's never had a very good f/o%, and I don't think he's gotten a single Selke nomination. It made sense for Cody Hodgson to replace Malhotra's role. It makes absolutely no sense for Richards to replace Kesler's role. I think you are underestimating his defensive capabilities and the value that brings to the team's success.

The proposal itself seems sound, but I think you need to factor in Richard's colossal contract. That was a serious risk that LA took, one that Gillis has stated he doesn't want to go for.

What I say what we should do is relocate the team to Kansas City, then trade the twins for draft picks send Burrow to the minors buy out Kesler contract. We can have Sweat Schroeder Jensen on the top line total offence making potential. Lack start, Cory back up hate that guy. Hansen we can use him on the second line with Richards that we will trade all of our 1 rounders for the next 20 years. Then we can sign Brunnstrom to a 5 mil contract because he will make a come back..............................................................

The Los Angeles Kings got Mike Richards for Wayne Simmons, Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd Round Draft Pick. I'm sure the Canucks could have offered an equal package of Mason Raymond, Cody Hodgson, and our 1st Round Pick to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Imagine this as the Canucks line up heading into the 2011/12 playoffs.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alex Burrows

David Booth - Mike Richards - Ryan Kesler

Chris Higgins - Samuel Pahlsson - Jannik Hansen

Manny Malhotra - Maxim Lapierre - Dale Weise

Dan Hamhuis - Kevin Bieksa

Alex Edler - Sami Salo

Keith Ballard - Chris Tanev

Roberto Luongo

Cody Schneider

Ryan Kesler could have moved to the wing and focus only on scoring, while the Kings could have been much weaker without Mike Richards on their team.

You win in the playoffs with "gamers".the few the Canucks have were off or inconsistent this year.Problem is they cost a lot to acquire and against the cap.That 2003 draft produced a huge crop of them.The other issue is they get beat up over their careers and are a little scary to acquire when you know there medical history.Best way to get them is to acquire multiple high draft picks and select carefully.IE not always BPA.

Oh god, don't tell me people are actually thinking this guys living up to expectations, cause he's not. A couple of fluke sharp angle goals in the playoffs off Luongo and Elliot after a crappy regular season and all of a sudden he's god. I would not want his type on our team, lots of money, and does nothing. He's being carried my the rest of the team so he looks good

Oh god, don't tell me people are actually thinking this guys living up to expectations, cause he's not. A couple of fluke sharp angle goals in the playoffs off Luongo and Elliot after a crappy regular season and all of a sudden he's god. I would not want his type on our team, lots of money, and does nothing. He's being carried my the rest of the team so he looks good

Guest Dasein

Hodgson was not an asset last summer. He only became what he was worth after playing 2/3 of the season with us and we inflated his stats with the protected minutes we gave him. Schenn was 10X the prospect that Hodgson was.

Raymond had a broken back. How the F*%$ are you gonna sell that to Holmgren?

29th overall pick? Sure, that's slightly better than a 2nd round pick...

Those three will not have gotten us Mike Richards. We had no chance to match LA's package.

It's definitely true that Schenn had (and has) more value than Hodgson and Simmonds certainly had more value than Mason Raymond with a broken back, not to mention Simmonds is a perfect fit on the Flyers. I don't think we ever had a chance to make that trade.

Yes. Richards>Kesler 24/7/365

Archived